TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I didn't mean literally falling apart at the seams but yes it is rotting away. The wooden structure being left unmaintained in the Florida climate is not doing it any favors.

The structure itself was designed to survive the Florida climate for decades... The ride's maintenance was more reliant on the continual upkeep of the track itself. The track at this point would require significant replacement to get Gwazi up and running (in its current state) but the coaster structure itself is more than sound.

I contend that if Busch were concerned for the structure's stability or had no further use for it, they would have torn down the coaster some time ago. The continued presence of what was once Gwazi smack-dab in the middle of the park with clear visibility to all guests lends credence to the notion that the park has plans for the space and the structures within.

I contend that if Busch were concerned for the structure's stability or had no further use for it, they would have torn down the coaster some time ago. The continued presence of what was once Gwazi smack-dab in the middle of the park with clear visibility to all guests lends credence to the notion that the park has plans for the space and the structures within.

Someone who has been to the park recently told me they have already started construction of walls around Sand Serpent. Any confirmation or pictures?

Update as of July 5th:

No Walls up and the ride was operational.

RE: Gwazi from an article in the TBT

Gwazi, by the numbers

Named after an African legend, Gwazi was a conflicted animal that was half-lion, half-tiger that continually struggled with itself.

2 dueling coasters in one; each track is 3,400 feet long for a 2-minute, 20-second ride.

3.5 G's, as in a force acting on a body as a result of acceleration or gravity generated on the ride.

2M locking bolts were used to help the lumber hold together in Florida's heat.

1.3M Feet of Southern yellow pine board treated with arsenic to resist termites.

1.3 Miles of track intertwined in a compact 8-acre maze.

90 Height in feet of Gwazi's lift hill.

50 Top speed, measured in miles per hour.

Source: http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/goodbye-gwazi-busch-gardens-to-close-wooden-coaster/2211242

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to track down the operating hours from this past March. Trying to plan a trip for Spring Break 2018(March 17 and 18) and tryin to get feel of how much time I would have at the park if we went there after we arrive at Tampa(takes less points to get there over Orlando). I figure it'll be Food and Wine again

• 3 weeks later...
So has anyone here ever gotten a ride on Montu with the trim brakes turned off? I got the pleasure of riding it without the trims twice and it was insane.

I'm pretty sure that was added after it was opened. As a child, I remember feeling like my legs were going to be ripped off during the batwing, so I would say yes. With or without the trim, it's still one of my favorite coaster elements on any B&M.

^You mean the MCBR? That's always on. It will glide through there even on a hot day without any noticeable braking if the train is on the lighter side passenger-wise.

No I mean the trim brake right before the batwing

I've never noticed it engage in the 10 years I've been riding it.

I have an opportunity to visit by the end of the year, and I heard that Kumba is going down for maintenance. Is there any period left this year when all 3 B&Ms as well as Cheetah Hunt will be open?

Kumba is scheduled to reopen on September 1st. So far no other coasters are scheduled for maintenance for the rest of the year.

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/park-info/ride-attraction-schedule/

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else beside myself still hold out hope that eventually Busch Gardens will Rocky Mountain treatment their sad and closed Gwazi coaster? I mean as long as this ride is still standing pretty much intact there may be a teeny tiny chance down the road. Since CEO Manby seems to be on a adding rides mindset to Sea World Parks maybe there's a chance down the not so long road. He was with Hershend was he not when they started their relationship with RMC? Let's hope maybe Gwazi will roar again someday.

^ Clearly it's trap door slides.

Yea, that's my thinking as well. Almost all of the major water parks have trap door slides now, so I bet Adventure Island and Water Country both get them in the near future. It will probably be similar to the Breakaway Falls tower that they added at Aquatica Orlando a few years ago.

Does anyone else beside myself still hold out hope that eventually Busch Gardens will Rocky Mountain treatment their sad and closed Gwazi coaster? I mean as long as this ride is still standing pretty much intact there may be a teeny tiny chance down the road. Since CEO Manby seems to be on a adding rides mindset to Sea World Parks maybe there's a chance down the not so long road. He was with Hershend was he not when they started their relationship with RMC? Let's hope maybe Gwazi will roar again someday.

Nope. I think that wood is going to come down and used for firewood...what's left of it. That's just my opinion however. I know there are plenty that think it's still possible. I'm not holding my breath or anything, even though I'd love an RMC creation at my home/favorite park.

Nope. I think that wood is going to come down and used for firewood...what's left of it. That's just my opinion however. I know there are plenty that think it's still possible. I'm not holding my breath or anything, even though I'd love an RMC creation at my home/favorite park.

Would I love for it to happen? Abso-fricken-lutely. But everyday that it doesn't happen, it feels more and more like an fever dream. But I thought the same of Kentucky Kingdom's Twisted Twins...

I haven't really kept up with what may or may not happen to Gwazi once it closed, but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to Rocky Mountain it even if it has been SBNO for a few years now. I have a hard time subscribing to the theory that it's only still standing because of the chain's financial situation. I really enjoyed the ride (many/most did not) and was sad to see it close- but I think one day the 'roided-up RMC version will happen.