TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

May 31st, 2010 - Haunted Castle Grand Opening

June 18th, 2010 - Behind the scenes Haunted Castle Tour

June 23rd, 2010 - Haunted Castle vandalized

January, 2011 - Giant Dipper commemorates one millionth rider

March 15th, 2011 - Looff Carousel celebrates 100th annivesrary

March 18th, 2012 - Hurricane to be removed at the end of the 2012 season

June 5th, 2012 - Behind the scenes (under the boardwalk) tour

July 28th, 2012 - 60 Millionth rider on Big Dipper, Hurricane closing on September 3rd

August 15th, 2012 - Replacement for Hurricane to be announced on August 27th, old coaster to be relocated to Western Playland Amusement Park

August 27th, 2012 - Undertow is announced

August 31st, 2016 - $12 million entrance & Boardwalk improvement project

This just arrived in my inbox from the PR dept at SCBB:

For Immediate Release

Double Shot Opening to Aid Hunger Relief

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk new ride opening to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank

Santa Cruz, CA - March 2, 2005 Santa Cruz, CA - As the historic Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk prepares to launch its newest and tallestnext new thrill ride, the Double Shot, amusement park fans will get a chance to be the first to experience the 125-foot tall attraction. Starting Wednesday, March 2, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties will place the opportunity on eBay for “thrill-seekers” to bid on the chance to be the first to experience the Double Shot. This opportunity was presented to the Food Bank to help the organization raise much needed funds to help feed hungry families and children in Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties.

“This is such a unique and exciting opportunity, something that’s we’ve never been done before,” said Willy Elliott-McCrea, Executive Director, Second Harvest Food Bank. “The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has always been a huge supporters of the Food Bank, and we hope to see the residents of Santa Cruz and BayNorthern California Area residents come together as a powerful force for good.”

The highest bidder will receive two tickets to the opening event, including two seats on the official first ride, and a framed certificate acknowledging that individual as the first official rider. They will also receive two invitations to the private opening luncheon event at the Boardwalk, and a framed photo of the First Ride. All proceeds from the auction will go towards programs and services for Second Harvest Food Bank.

The Double Shot is the newest installment for the 98-year-old park, and the only major seaside amusement park on the West Coast. Standing at 125-feet tall, the Double Shot launches riders skywards at more than 3 G's to a breathtaking view of the California Coast and then experience the weightlessness of negative G forces as they are shot back down for the ultimate thrill. The ride officially opens to the public on Saturday, March 19.

“We have something in Santa Cruz that cannot be found anywhere else along the West Coast,” said Marq Lipton, Vice President of Marketing, Santa Cruz Seaside Co. “And we have the chance to utilize it in a way where we can help the needy in our community. We are thrilled to be given the opportunity to aid Second Harvest Food Bank in its fight against hunger.”

Interested individuals can find the link on the Food Bank’s homepage at foodbank.org

Learn more about the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk at http://www.beachboardwalk.com

The eBay item ID number is: 5562366892 or click here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5562366892[/url]

Edited by jedimaster1227

This kind of "bid for a first ride" happens every year? I've never seen any of it here in Europe! If they filled all the seats, so each ride was reasonably priced, I'd probaply do this. I enjoy doing charity work, and getting something for the money seems like a great deal to me!

This is the first time I've seen it, and the Charity is a good one, having lived in the area, it is the only major food bank for all the local charities, and supply's food to local chrurches, and many more charities for the poor in the Santa cruz, San Jose, Monterey area

• 4 years later...

Drove past the park today to see that the Ripper is being dismantled and moved to god knows where. I will find out as soon as I can, rumor was that a state fair in either Texas or California bought the ride, but I can not confirm this rumor.

Sad to see it go, it was the reason I worked at Thrill-Ville to start, then I became manger... I am glad to hear it has been sold and not for scrap!

I will update when I learn more.

• 1 month later...

Greetings, and hello TPR!

I joined this site back in early 2006 hoping to be active on the forums but I basically just enjoyed the site's updates and never posted once. I recently decided to come back (well, really come to the site) and do something useful with my account! Anyways, on to what the topic really is about.

======

This topic is for the new Haunted Castle ride going in to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, California. Their old dark ride was operating there since 1973 and it became old and the boardwalk thought it was time for an update. The ride's last operating day was on August 23rd, 2009 and was completely demolished on September 11th, 2009. I have been going to the site weekly to check out construction and it has progressed very far since the demolition back in September. I will be updating the topic weekly with pictures. The ride is scheduled to open in Summer 2010, though according to some construction workers, as early as Memorial Day weekend. Any who, here are some pictures of the demolition!

===============

NEXT UPDATE:

Coming this Tuesday expect more pictures from each week including pics from the day of posting next Tuesday. See more videos including official ones direct from the Boardwalk as well as new ones from me.

\/ Below are pictures of construction from September to December including captions on what's going on in each picture!

TPRSCBBHCpic8.jpg.834f99181f21126c20ef6f5be1c87d95.jpg

Picture from December 22nd, 2009 showing that the cement has been poured on the Boardwalk level of the ride!

=======

NEXT UPDATE:

Coming this Tuesday expect more pictures from each week including pics from the day of posting next Tuesday. See more videos including official ones direct from the Boardwalk as well as new ones from me.

TRPSCBBHCpic7.jpg.5bfc65f7e5dfe232b16d05e942228c57.jpg

Picture from December 1st, 2009 showing that the ground floor has been sealed and that work has begun for the Boardwalk level for cement.

TRPSCBBHCpic6.jpg.0f2ddf96cde2d8318f313245689329ef.jpg

Picture from November 17th, 2009 showing the complete pillars on the ground floor.

TRPSCBBHCpic5.jpg.05fd30cc44f405e8d7ce1866591fa6db.jpg

Picture from November 3rd, 2009 that shows that the pillars are much farther along and much more evident.

TPRSCBBHCpic4.jpg.375face7c6811075d4cd9568cbbde1aa.jpg

Photo from October 27th, 2009 showing that the final layer of cement has been poured and that some pegs have shown up that will be pillars supporting the next floor.

TRPSCBBHCpic3.jpg.c1afb611980cf79e0af9d069e131c09e.jpg

HC pic from October 20th, 2009 showing that the digging has been completed and the first layer of cement has been poured.

TPRSCBBHCpic2.jpg.5a67f2838574b16d39a7ccd667d2119f.jpg

HC pic from October 6th, 2009 showing off the sand being dug for the ground level of the ride.

TPRSCBBHCpic1.jpg.1852500532f5e53c59d821e362402a87.jpg

Picture from beach side of construction in September. A crane is putting in those tall metal things for the wall on the basement level of the ride.

Edited by coaster-crazy

Thanks for all the comments guys, it's really appreciated!

Bkkman13: That's cool, thanks for the comment.

RobbAlvey: Hey, thanks for the comment Robb! I tried to make a good first impression.

RCFreak: Thanks. Yeah, currently construction is about a month ahead of schedule! But there is some steel that they need now that isn't ready to be shipped yet which unfortunately is going to be putting all that time gained, to time lost.(according to on site construction worker)

65skylark: Thanks for the comment!

sfmman2000: Thanks, that video was fun to make! I'll be sure to say hi - If I can spot you!

Thanks again everyone!

~Coaster-Crazy

Well your posts have inspired me to post more as well! I have been a member on here for a few years as well and have had to change screen names a few times because i forgot them! lol

So back on topic... This is the first time Ive heard about them re-doing the haunted castle! Shows how long its been since the last time I went! Well im looking foward to the construction updates! Nice pictures and keep up the good work!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're the one who posted these videos and photos on Facebook? I'm curious to see how it looks this month, and looking forward to the finished result of the new ride!

Yes, that's right! You're the one who made that Giant Dipper model in No Limits then, correct? Anyways, thanks for the comment, next update in 2 Days!!!

~Coaster-Crazy

I love the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, and was always a fan of the Haunted Castle. I'm glad that they're moving on with an even better attraction, as the Haunted Castle was becoming a bit... old, one may say. I'll have to get out there this Summer after it opens! It really is a great park, a Hell of a lot better than the Santa Monica Ocean Pier!

@Nin: Thanks, it was sad to see it go, but times change.

@ghost007jas: Thanks. It sure is a lot better then the Santa Monica Pier!

===================

UPDATE JANUARY 11th, 2010

===================

Hey guys,

I know I said the next update would be tomorrow, but it turned out that I wouldn't be able to go tomorrow, so I went this afternoon instead! There has been a TON of progress since I last went a week ago. Construction has now gone VERTICAL! The steel has been placed for the 2 story building(3 floors if you include the basement)! This is very big news as this is one of the more vital steps in getting closer to the ride's complete enclosure. Currently the ride is 5 days ahead of schedule and they are aiming for a Memorial Day Weekend opening date! Below are some videos of the Haunted Castle being built - time lapse style! Both of these following clips are courtesy of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk - thanks guys. They show construction through November in the videos. As always thanks for watching!

1. SCBB's Haunted Castle Time Lapse: Part 1

(construction from early September through October)

2. SCBB's Haunted Castle Time Lapse: Part 2

(construction from mid October through November 29th, 2009)

NEXT UPDATE:

Coming next Tuesday, pictures of the continued construction as well as possible videos either on the next update, or in between!

=============================

CONSTRUCTION PICTURES FROM 1/11/2010

=============================

TPRSCBBHCpic10.jpg.b48c8c4511df82dae798585ed01cc830.jpg

Wide shot of the construction progess from street-side.

==========

NEXT UPDATE:

Coming next Tuesday, pictures of the continued construction as well as possible videos either on the next update, or in between!

TPRSCBBHCpic9.jpg.9483c48ec82c6030755bce6d0505c397.jpg

Neat shot of a worker welding the steel together. Pretty colors!

TPRSCBBHCpic8.jpg.72312956fc20d034b37d4494952051ed.jpg

Street-side picture showing the building located to the left of the Haunted Castle being rebuilt from the demolition.

TPRSCBBHCpic7.jpg.9d40e1368b0057e81db1130a0565c339.jpg

Yet another beach side pic - but at a different angle!

TPRSCBBHCpic6.jpg.f6e778f78071d618278197612b56b777.jpg

A picture of construction from the Beach. Looking really cool!

TPRSCBBHCpic5.jpg.87d2c40055a1d6d719960aafaca1f66d.jpg

Looking down the Boardwalk past construction. Watch out for the hole!

TPRSCBBHCpic4.jpg.f920c6a7b9149a999532918919c8a33e.jpg

Another beach side pic - but close up. That hole in the center is where the ride will spiral down to the basement level. Cool!

TPRSCBBHCpic3.jpg.fa129d7cb4017812cee501e168aa9b54.jpg

Beach side pic showing the work between the disconnected pieces of Boardwalk.

TPRSCBBHCpic2.jpg.4027e30e40a3cec0cf1e557529427bed.jpg

Working hard up top! Wow, that's high!

TRPSCBBHCpic1.jpg.ac53a930a57bebaaf6380402578cfd4e.jpg

Beach side pic showing off the now vertical structure of the new ride!