Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

P. 143: CF releases 2018 mid-year figures
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did my donkey title just change???

Re: Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread

Postby Sven20 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:28 pm

DirkFunk wrote:
Sven20 wrote:I worked a summer job in HS and played travel soccer. They were hardly "fun" summer jobs. I worked for my uncles' roofing company having to get up at 5am every morning. I participated in many school clubs and activities, besides playing 2 varsity sports. I earned 24 credits via AP's upon HS graduation. I don't see the trade off scenario you present.

Depends on the field you enter. A friend of mine worked his way through a masters degree managing a Food Lion. He couldn't get a sniff in DC in spite of having internships at prestigious organizations and a top notch degree because he was "the supermarket guy". And when it comes to graduate school applications, I can tell you this from watching it first hand - no one cares if you worked a job. What they want is activity applicable to the degree. If you bussed tables to get through college and someone else had the chance to volunteer 20 hours a week in a lab, that second person is more desirable by a ton. I say that as a paid employee of possibly the most prestigious public university in the US.

I was not an anomaly, all my HS friends were the same. This is not a back in my day thing, I know many kids that do the same know, but they are the minority. Talking to kids now and their parents, I just shake my head with the mentality that has been perpetuated. There is a high level of entitlement and many thinking they are too good for a "service job", for the summer. Having a "not fun HS job" reminds kids of what their future could be if they don't handle their school work. If they neglect their education they will be saddled with a job they hate for decades, not for 2 1/2 months.

If I had a kid, I'd advise them to spend their summers in classes instead of working for $9/hr because completing their college degree in the shortest amount of time would pay dividends down the line. Aside from maybe doing the Disney College Program, no employer is gonna care about what garbage job you had when you were a teenager when you're looking to get into a professional setting.

You're now talking about college and not HS. My example was HS. College I had engineering internships every summer except after freshman year. That year I took summer schools b/c I wanted a double major and a minor. Of course, in college you should be looking for summer stuff applicable to your degree. There are many summer job fairs, well that's the way it was in STEM. These jobs require only to be 16 in most cases, these are fine HS summer jobs. Also, many kids in college are "surfing", ie..don;t know what they want to major in for 1 or 2 years and then there is the large group that pick nonsense majors with little to no job prospects or earning potential upon graduation, they are your barista. This large group are prime for these park jobs.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 pm

then there is the large group that pick nonsense majors with little to no job prospects or earning potential upon graduation, they are your barista

Don't forget, they also go to the most expensive universities and rack up a huge amount of debt to earn their worthless majors.

#marinebiology

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Marine biology is arguably the most valuable field. It's estimated that about 91% of species on Earth have yet to be discovered, and the vast majority of these are in the ocean.* Who are the ones that discover those species? That's right, marine biologists. If we're valuing coffee over knowledge of our planet, then it's because our priorities are screwed up, not because the knowledge isn't important.

I could go on all day about the stupidity that was outsourcing job training to universities and thus shifting the financial burden to workers rather than employers. More to the point at hand though is that we are seeing an extreme where young people are having to essentially start their job training years before they even are able to apply for a job, without knowing whether they even can get one. Then if they don't get that job, they have student loan debt and are forced into the same job prospects as people who never went to higher education at all. Those people are all over the Rust Belt and really would benefit from just going and getting a job like Cedar Fair offers and not incurring the debt in the first place.

A lot of the people who started in the theme park industry just had some talent and went straight to work. They worked hard, caught the eye of their manager, and were promoted. The Season Pass Podcast is full of old timers telling those stories. So I don't buy the argument that it's all an individual's fault for having some ambition and they should have known when they started college what the job market will look like in 4-6 years. That's just not reasonable.

Our economic system is screwed up. The fact that Cedar Fair is having to rely so much on foreign workers is evidence of the economy's brokenness, not its success.

*https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/ocean-species.html

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:13 pm

As with anything, the phrase "your mileage may vary" applies to theme park and entry level jobs. I know plenty of people who got into the field of their choice through their job at a theme park. The fields vary from everything to staying in the theme park business in management, creative roles, HR roles, finance roles, sales roles, entertainment....

Even using the marine biology example. Working as a ticket seller at an aquarium could get you the foot in the door for when you finish your degree.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:48 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:A lot of the people who started in the theme park industry just had some talent and went straight to work. They worked hard, caught the eye of their manager, and were promoted. The Season Pass Podcast is full of old timers telling those stories. So I don't buy the argument that it's all an individual's fault for having some ambition and they should have known when they started college what the job market will look like in 4-6 years. That's just not reasonable.

It's often been speculated that the current generation of young professionals (my age, a bit older, possibly a little bit younger) is the first to, as a collective whole, target the themed entertainment industry as a career from the start of their educational studies. From my own experience, a lot of the "old guard" actually started off as professionals in different fields, such as architects and producers, and migrated to themed entertainment.

My only experience ever working directly in / for a park was a five-month Disney College Program, seven years ago.

Even less than ten years ago, it was absolutely unheard of for students to form a club or organization at their university specifically geared toward getting careers in the theme park business - let alone show up to the IAAPA Attractions Expo to learn and network. Now, things are different. Designing themed experiences is my master's degree. I've worked in California, and I'm working now in Florida on some crazy huge stuff as a designer. I have old friends from my student organization that are today helping to manage entire portfolios of theme parks. I have current friends who are working as artists and designers for the big companies. They knew what they wanted to do years in advance, and they are doing it right now.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Sven20 wrote:You're now talking about college and not HS. My example was HS. College I had engineering internships every summer except after freshman year. That year I took summer schools b/c I wanted a double major and a minor. Of course, in college you should be looking for summer stuff applicable to your degree. There are many summer job fairs, well that's the way it was in STEM. These jobs require only to be 16 in most cases, these are fine HS summer jobs. Also, many kids in college are "surfing", ie..don;t know what they want to major in for 1 or 2 years and then there is the large group that pick nonsense majors with little to no job prospects or earning potential upon graduation, they are your barista. This large group are prime for these park jobs.

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.parkscope.net/2018/01/how-is-theme-park-labor-market-formed.html

Labor force participation by students is way, way down because the pressure to attend college and prepare for it or one's degree is extremely real and very different from 20-30-40 years ago.

As far as getting jobs at Cedar Fair parks instead of college - yeah, nah, not if they want to eat. Seasonal parks don't offer much for opportunity compared to even fast food or landscaping. You can make good money doing sales for a landscaping company that might take you 7-8 years to reach for income as a theme park employee.

Postby Jew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Jew wrote:As with anything, the phrase "your mileage may vary" applies to theme park and entry level jobs. I know plenty of people who got into the field of their choice through their job at a theme park. The fields vary from everything to staying in the theme park business in management, creative roles, HR roles, finance roles, sales roles, entertainment....

Even using the marine biology example. Working as a ticket seller at an aquarium could get you the foot in the door for when you finish your degree.

Just quoting this again and emphasizing the first part.

But getting the thread back on topic...Cedar Fair (and everyone else) use international labor because it is cheaper than raising wages to supplement their workforce. In the case of Cedar Point, I imagine they can only find so many people who want to live in crappy dorms to work long hours for entry level pay.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby grsupercity » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 am

I thought a friend of mine told me that a u.s work visa cost $4,000 dollars
Best Wood Lightning Rod....Goliath SFGAM....Shivering Timbers....Storm Chaser...Voyage
Best Steel Maverick...Lighting Run.....Montu...Mako..Fury...Afterburn...Manta
Honorable mentions Kumba..Raging Bull..Legend..Cornball..M Force..Rapter..Mr Freeze

You know what....Way to many good coasters the best :lmao:

Postby Jew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:27 pm

They contract with companies who use J-1 visas (foreign students).

Postby coasterbill » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:17 pm

jarmor wrote:Thanks for that, so technically it does not auto renew until you give the go ahead to do so.

Assuming you checked auto-renew last year, I think you only need to sign agreement forms if you log in to the portal and get this message which may or may not even be possible unless you hit "modify" and change something.

Untitled.png

I got an email today from Kings Island where I got the pass and it said that action was required but never said what the action was. I logged in to the portal, saw that I basically didn't have to do anything and left. I went back in again after seeing this post to look for the forms and never found them, but while I was there I entered my new phone number and then (after modifying something) I finally had to sign new forms. Until I did that, there was no prompt anywhere to do so.

Brit never signed up for auto-renew, so for her I had to re-enter the credit card info although now it won't accept it and just says "Sorry, there was an error saving your information." no matter what. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!