TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

I'm reserving judgment until I actually ride one, which I'm looking forward to doing in a couple of months. That said, I really doubt Knott's would get one. Magic Mountain has a ZacSpin already, and that type of ride just doesn't fit Knott's clientele. Remember they're within the Disney Zone (do de do doo do de do doo), so I'd look for this to be exciting but not intimidating.

BTW someone over at Knotts Network just commented that an S&S freespin would qualify as a maker CF hasn't worked with in awhile. God I hope not. I am just not impressed with what I have seen of that ride.

Having recently ridden SFGAm's, yeah, they are very unremarkable. It'd be a wash, though. Knott's would, in essence, be trading old bad* (Boomerang) for new bad (Free Spin).

*I prefer the old bad.

It's kinda funny. Remember 3 years ago when we saw S&S's concept for the Free Spin, and we said "OMG PARKS SHOULD TOTALLY BUY THIS" and now we're just sick of them? Thanks Six Flags

Honestly though, I really enjoyed Joker at SFGAdv. I prefer the Intamin version at SFMM (yes, yes, I know), but they really aren't "bad" rides. Hopefully they don't build the reputation that the Batmans have earned in that they are bad rides simply because they are cloned.

That being said, I can think of 100 other rides that would be a much better fit for Knott's.

Knott's doesn't need "fun". Sure it might be fun but Timberline Twister is fun. Doesn't mean we want another one.

Are you serious? Knott's doesn't want a fun ride? T-Rexes aren't fun? Intamins aren't fun?

Lighten up a little, dude. Both in this thread and the Knott's thread, you're taking this 2018 speculation way too seriously. I understand the hype. Knott's is my beloved home park and the world knows we've been waiting for a new coaster, but once you say Knott's doesn't want a "fun" ride, come on...

I'm happy with pretty much anything in that spot, as long as it's a thrilling coaster that is fun and exciting and adds to their collection of rides.

Hopefully they don't build the reputation that the Batmans have earned in that they are bad rides simply because they are cloned.

Wait. The Batmans have earned a reputation that they are bad rides?

News to me.

They could clone that ride a thousand more times, it still won't make it any less of the most impressive compact inverted design of all time.

I heard it as soon as I said it. "Bad" probably isn't the proper word. More like "overlooked" or "underrated" or "brushed over." Probably should have been more clear on that.

Knott's doesn't need "fun". Sure it might be fun but Timberline Twister is fun. Doesn't mean we want another one.

Are you serious? Knott's doesn't want a fun ride? T-Rexes aren't fun? Intamins aren't fun?

Lighten up a little, dude. Both in this thread and the Knott's thread, you're taking this 2018 speculation way too seriously. I understand the hype. Knott's is my beloved home park and the world knows we've been waiting for a new coaster, but once you say Knott's doesn't want a "fun" ride, come on...

I'm happy with pretty much anything in that spot, as long as it's a thrilling coaster that is fun and exciting and adds to their collection of rides.

That was a typo. It was supposed to say "Knott's doesnt need just fun" a lot of rides are fun but still suck overall. Knotts NEEDS more Thrills. It NEEDS huge. It Needs Wow. Pony was fun. Still sucks. Coast is fun. Still sucks. Just being fun isn't enough.

Hopefully they don't build the reputation that the Batmans have earned in that they are bad rides simply because they are cloned.

Only the ridiculous think Batman The Ride is bad because multiple parks have one. I think most parks should have more than one Batman The Ride.

Wait. The Batmans have earned a reputation that they are bad rides?

News to me.

They could clone that ride a thousand more times, it still won't make it any less of one of the most impressive compact inverted designs of all time.

Batman without the cloning? Second favorite invert of all time

Batman with cloning? Second, third, and fourth favorite invert of all time.

Batman, cloned, or uncloned = Least favorite B&M Invert. Not saying it's a bad coaster though... I'd just much rather have a clone of Banshee, Montu, or even Alpengeist!

(Speaking of clones, why, in the name of all that's coasterrific, has nobody cloned Expedition GeForce yet?!?!?! Preferably somebody here in the States! Preferably Michigan's Adventure! )

Batman, cloned, or uncloned = Least favorite B&M Invert. Not saying it's a bad coaster though... I'd just much rather have a clone of Banshee, Montu, or even Alpengeist!

(Speaking of clones, why, in the name of all that's coasterrific, has nobody cloned Expedition GeForce yet?!?!?! Preferably somebody here in the States! Preferably Michigan's Adventure! )

Being the tallest, longest and fastest doesn't make rides the best.

And your point is...?

My opinion of Banshee, Montu, and Alpengeist, is that they are better coasters than the Batmen clones, and that is from their ride experience. That ride experience is regardless of whether they are tallest, longest, or fastest. In my perspective, enthusiasts are the ones who tend to get myopic and equate "intensity = best", which is why coasters like the Batman clones, and Magnum tend to get rated a lot higher by them, than they do by your typical, coaster riding public.

Expedition GeForce is actually a good example of a ride that is apparently one of the best (I've never ridden it), though it is not tallest, longest, or fastest. Maverick, which I have ridden, is another great example! But sometimes, a ride like Fury comes along, and just throws its weight around and says "Yeah, I AM the biggest, baddest, and bestest!!!"

Height does not make the ride. I would take a ride like Maverick or Lighting Run any day over Intimidator at Carowinds. We all have different likes though. I prefer a ride that throws me around. Some people like rides like intrimidator though for the relaxing calm ride and I can respect that. But im in the camp that height makes the ride. Even drop towers. Some of the small ones like larson towers provide a more thrilling experience then say a massive S&S combo tower

That's a matter of perspective...and highly of opinion. IMO currently Fury 325 is the best. It's the tallest giga/traditional lift in the world, fastest (with traditional lift) & longest steel coaster in the western hemisphere. Some others prefer rides like Maverick...which is none of those, but I'm sure is a great ride. I'll find out for myself next year to compare.

Edited by bgtlover

And your point is...?

My opinion of Banshee, Montu, and Alpengeist, is that they are better coasters than the Batmen clones, and that is from their ride experience. That ride experience is regardless of whether they are tallest, longest, or fastest. In my perspective, enthusiasts are the ones who tend to get myopic and equate "intensity = best", which is why coasters like the Batman clones, and Magnum tend to get rated a lot higher by them, than they do by your typical, coaster riding public.

Expedition GeForce is actually a good example of a ride that is apparently one of the best (I've never ridden it), though it is not tallest, longest, or fastest. Maverick, which I have ridden, is another great example! But sometimes, a ride like Fury comes along, and just throws its weight around and says "Yeah, I AM the biggest, baddest, and bestest!!!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cedar Fair Reports Positive Attendance And Revenue Trends Through July 4th

- Capital investments and advance purchase channels drive revenue growth

- The Company expects to achieve its FUNforward 2.0 long-term Adjusted EBITDA goal of $500 million by the end of 2017, a year earlier than planned- Capital investments and advance purchase channels drive revenue growth - The Company expects to achieve its FUNforward 2.0 long-term Adjusted EBITDA goal of $500 million by the end of 2017, a year earlier than planned

SANDUSKY, Ohio, July 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, today reported preliminary net revenues through July 4, 2017 of approximately $524 million, a $2 million increase on a same-park basis when compared with the same period a year ago. This period represents approximately 40% of the Company's total operating days for 2017.

On a same-park basis, excluding the closing of a stand-alone water park in Cleveland, Ohio, preliminary net revenues were up as a result of a 1%, or 110,000-visit, increase in attendance to 10.5 million visits, and a 2% increase in out-of-park revenues to $62 million. Average in-park guest per capita spending of approximately $45.41 was comparable with the same period in 2016 when taking into consideration changes in foreign currency exchange rates.

"We are well-positioned to make 2017 our eighth consecutive year of record results, as we have been able to build upon the record attendance and revenues we achieved during the first half of last year," said Matt Ouimet, Cedar Fair's chief executive officer. "Mystic Timbers, a world-class roller coaster at Kings Island and the significant water park investments at Cedar Point Shores and Knott's Soak City have all set various attendance records at their respective parks. This early-season success of our capital investment program gives us great confidence as we head into the peak vacation months of July and August."

Ouimet noted that in 2017 Cedar Fair has again generated record season pass sales across its properties. The Company also reported increased sales from its other advance purchase channels -- including all-season dining and beverage programs; FunPix, its digital imaging platform; and group business bookings.

"Our current-year sales trends in advance purchase commitments are strong and support our positive outlook for 2017," added Ouimet. "We believe our significant capital investments, combined with the lengthening of our operating season via WinterFest, are contributing to these advanced sales and current year results, and will continue to create value in the long term."

Based on its year-to-date results and continuing consumer trends toward prioritizing experiences over possessions, the Company believes it is on track to achieve its FUNforward 2.0 long-term goal of $500 million of Adjusted EBITDA by the end of 2017, a year earlier than planned.

On a same-park basis, excluding the closing of a stand-alone water park in Cleveland, Ohio, preliminary net revenues were up as a result of a 1%, or 110,000-visit, increase in attendance to 10.5 million visits, and a 2% increase in out-of-park revenues to $62 million. Average in-park guest per capita spending of approximately $45.41 was comparable with the same period in 2016 when taking into consideration changes in foreign currency exchange rates. "We are well-positioned to make 2017 our eighth consecutive year of record results, as we have been able to build upon the record attendance and revenues we achieved during the first half of last year," said Matt Ouimet, Cedar Fair's chief executive officer. "Mystic Timbers, a world-class roller coaster at Kings Island and the significant water park investments at Cedar Point Shores and Knott's Soak City have all set various attendance records at their respective parks. This early-season success of our capital investment program gives us great confidence as we head into the peak vacation months of July and August." Ouimet noted that in 2017 Cedar Fair has again generated record season pass sales across its properties. The Company also reported increased sales from its other advance purchase channels -- including all-season dining and beverage programs; FunPix, its digital imaging platform; and group business bookings. "Our current-year sales trends in advance purchase commitments are strong and support our positive outlook for 2017," added Ouimet. "We believe our significant capital investments, combined with the lengthening of our operating season via WinterFest, are contributing to these advanced sales and current year results, and will continue to create value in the long term." Based on its year-to-date results and continuing consumer trends toward prioritizing experiences over possessions, the Company believes it is on track to achieve its FUNforward 2.0 long-term goal of $500 million of Adjusted EBITDA by the end of 2017, a year earlier than planned.

Cedar Fair has trademarked the name "Railblazer". Some people think that this is the name for the RMC Mean Streak conversion. I don't see how they are even getting at all. In all honestly it sounds more like a perfect name for an RMC single rail coaster. To me this pretty much confirms that the "new type of ride" hinted at by Matt Ouimet is a in fact an RMC Raptor/T-Rex. Now where is it going is the big question now before us. Knott's or CGA? Personally I think 'Railblazer' sounds like 'trailblazer' and that fits with the western theme of Knott's. And if that's the case then I bet CGA is getting an Intamin half pipe because that fits with the trademark "Hang Time". So then where does the name "The Ledge" come into play?

Cedar Fair has trademarked the name "Railblazer". Some people think that this is the name for the RMC Mean Streak conversion. I don't see how they are even getting at all. In all honestly it sounds more like a perfect name for an RMC single rail coaster. To me this pretty much confirms that the "new type of ride" hinted at by Matt Ouimet is a in fact an RMC Raptor/T-Rex. Now where is it going is the big question now before us. Knott's or CGA? Personally I think 'Railblazer' sounds like 'trailblazer' and that fits with the western theme of Knott's. And if that's the case then I bet CGA is getting an Intamin half pipe because that fits with the trademark "Hang Time". So then where does the name "The Ledge" come into play?

I find it interesting that people don't think Cedar Fairisn't just filing for trademarks for things later or just pulling a head fake to play with enthusiasts. All I can say is how is "Ziz"? You know the mythical creature representing air, that fits perfectly with Behemoth(land) and Leviathian(water).

I find it interesting that people don't think Cedar Fairisn't just filing for trademarks for things later or just pulling a head fake to play with enthusiasts. All I can say is how is "Ziz"? You know the mythical creature representing air, that fits perfectly with Behemoth(land) and Leviathian(water).

If Cedar Fair ever even attempts to use the name “Ziz” for an attraction, I’d lose all faith in the company. I don’t care what “mythology” it fits into. “Ziz” is an awful name.