Photo TR: Drayton Manor (Page 19)

Is this the best park in England?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR - Sea World Orlando and Royal Caribbean Cruise!

Postby netdvn » Thu May 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Why didn't you tell me about this trip earlier?

I feel sad for being left in the dark :(

But I'm glad you had a great time on your cruise and at SWO! Carnival cruises are pretty fun to do, although I can't compare them to RC cruises.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Jo My Oh!

Sea World San Antonio - 5/13

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:03 pm

When Texas Giant Bash was announced, my awesome friend and I decided to plan a great mini Texas-Tour. We'd stop at Sea World San Antonio, Six Flags Over Texas the next day, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas the day after. The trip turned out great, and I plan on making photo reports from all the parks! So stay tuned....

First park we hit was Sea World San Antonio. Crowds were light, and it wasn't too hot, with the high reaching 92. Only the rapids ride wasn't running, but I managed to ride everything else, even with a few re-rides. Apparently, this day was the last operating day of Texas Splash Down (the log flume), which I did manage to ride! While it wasn't as good as the SW Orlando park, it was a park I enjoyed, definitely worth a visit.

Texas Splash Town - Apparently, this was the last operating day of the classic log flume! The ride looked it was falling apart and leaking all over the place. I'm glad I got to ride the ride before it was closed. Any idea what is coming in it's place? Maybe a Manta style ride?

Steel Eel - Definitely my favorite Morgan Hyper out of Mamba and Wild Thing. I do enjoy Morgan hypers, but this one had the best layout with the most airtime in the front and back! The hills were very weird, it's like the track slowly got steeper and steeper, and then you slam into your seat once you start heading back up. I'd give it a 9/10

Great White - Wow, I've read reports where this Batman clone was the most forceful out of them all, and I could definitely feel it! I nearly blacked out on any inversion and turn when sitting in the front, and my legs really burned from all the forces. A little too forceful for my liking, but not too bad! 6/10

Journey to Atlantis - SW San Antonio really got a standard version of Journey to Atlantis, with only a little scenery in the station and at the bottom for the drop. It was still a fun ride, and the backwards drop was somehow forceful... 7/10

I did see the Sea Lion + Otter show, along with the dolphin show, which were just as good as they were in Orlando! I skipped the Believe show because I really wasn't impressed with what I saw in Orlando, and the showtimes really didn't fit our schedule.

Now onto the photos!
IMG_3931 [800x600].jpg
The entrance was really nicely designed... It looked like it was built out of legos!
IMG_3844 [800x600].jpg
Our first ride of the day was Shamu Express, which was a walk on! I didn't want to wait 20 minutes for it later in the day.
IMG_3845 [800x600].jpg
I really liked the park set up more than Orlando. The rides were more spread out all around the lake. Steel Eel looked amazing from anywhere around the park!
IMG_3847 [800x600].jpg
What I found odd about Steel Eel was how none of the supports were parallel! Never seen anything like it before...
IMG_3850 [800x600].jpg
Sea World San Antonio didn't have half the amount of animals that Sea World Orlando had... But what they had was still nice.
IMG_3852 [800x600].jpg
When walking around the park, there was a whole lot of open space... You'd have to walk through pathways of nothing to go from ride to ride.
IMG_3853 [800x600].jpg
Steel Eel is very photogenic.. Just stare at it!
IMG_3857 [800x600].jpg
Is there a name for this type of element? I think it's a cammel-back or something like that...
IMG_3869 [800x600].jpg
My friends and I were waiting for the back of the park to open... So the penguin encounter kept us busy. Too bad the dang Puffins wouldn't hold still!
IMG_3872 [800x600].jpg
Steel Eel and Great White were running one train... So getting a shot with a train in it is just eye candy!
IMG_3875 [800x600].jpg
According to Sea World's blog, Friday the 13th was the last operating day for the ride! Maybe a Manta style roller coaster (either one) will replace this chunk of land!
IMG_3895 [800x600].jpg
Seeing another animal enclosure at Sea World San Antonio was a rare citing!
IMG_3888 [800x600].jpg
Great White was such a fun ride, but way too forceful for me.
IMG_3896 [800x600].jpg
Talk about Journey to Atlantis being stripped naked from scenery... Backwards section makes up for that though!
IMG_3901 [800x600].jpg
The trains are definitely stylish,
IMG_3903 [800x600].jpg
I did the dolphin feeding... And this dolphin was all like "Gimme some grub or I'm swimmin' away!"
IMG_3908 [800x600].jpg
The Seal and Sea Lion feeding was so funny! They do so much to get attention for one little bite of fish! The scream, splash water, tackle each other, such an amazing site.
IMG_3913 [800x600].jpg
If you've seen this show... This Walrus can do more sit ups than I can...
IMG_3918 [800x600].jpg
The dolphin show was a big hit with the kids!
IMG_3928 [800x600].jpg
Now comes the end of my report... Steel Eel is such a great ride. I'd say it's up there with Goliath at SFOG in terms of airtime and awesome layout.
IMG_3930 [800x600].jpg
There goes a train full of happy riders, thanks for reading! Stay tuned for a Texas Giant Bash update.

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

Permanent Tourist

Re: Photo TR - Sea World San Antonio - 5/13

Postby Electerik » Sun May 29, 2011 4:01 pm

I've only been to SeaWorld San Antonio once, and that was a few years ago. I really enjoyed Steel Eel, but the animal exhibits were nowhere near as numerous or elaborate as those of SeaWorld Orlando. There were more rides, but that gap seems to be shrinking. And I wasn't too interested in the waterpark. Overall, my impression was that SeaWorld San Antonio perfectly fit the description, "Jack of all trades, master of none."

Still, I would take Steel Eel over either Manta or Kraken, personally.

Anyway, thanks for the TR! I enjoyed it.
Erik Allen Elness

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sun May 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Great TR! I've noticed that Steel Eel had weird supports, but man! Did Morgan do some drinking before they did the supports? ;)
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sportscapper » Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 am

Great TR!

I have never visited Sea World SA. I have been to the one in Orlando several times. It's my second favorite park behind Epcot. I really enjoyed the walk through at Manta. It gave you something to look at while in line. I was there the year it opened, the line was over 2 hours. Fortunately, I rode alone, and Busch provides single rider lines!

Steel Eel looks impressive. I just can't stand the looks of the trains. It looks like you can barely see out of them?

My Dumps Smell Like Cantaloupe

Postby The SETGO Guys » Mon May 30, 2011 8:55 am

Steel Eel has a really nice look to it! The Morgan Hypercoasters have an amazing Streamlined look to them that makes them very appealing to the eye.

I usually don't say this, but I think this park could really use a few more flat rides. Sea World in California just opened a Flat Ride called Riptide Rescue that is a Huss Airboat ride [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M19aw58-KEc&feature=player_embedded[/youtube] I think this really would be a great, somewhat inexpensive fit for the Vacant Log Flume area!

When Aquatica opens (Next year I believe) it should make the park even greater! I hope to get out there to visit it someday! :D

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Drachen77 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:54 pm

I haven't been to Sea World San Antonio since the late '80's. I believe I went the year after it opened. I would really love to go back one day. Thanks very much for putting together the great trip report.

Postby netdvn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 am

Texas Splashdown seems interesting.

Hell the park itself looks interesting! It looks like AB really spoiled the park in the 90s with Steel Eel and Great White and then stopped after the 2000s.

BTW: How does Great White compare to the other Batman clones?

- Can't wait to see your next update :br
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Whaaaaaat! Texas Splashdown was awesome! And it had the longest line of the Texas Trip in '09...40 minutes. It was a long ride and really fun!

BOOO!
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Steel Eel really is photogenic (and fun)! I'm glad you had a good time at the park!
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive