Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 136: Log flume, zip-line, ropes course & more announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:
larrygator wrote:
A.J. wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^I'm not super familiar with all the new Coney Island stuff and the Zamperla deal...are there any other non-Zamperla rides/attractions in the stuff that they run?

Obviously there's the Carousel and the Cyclone. Everything else is a Zamperla attraction except for their Sling Shot ride, which is a Funtime semi-portable installation, and (I believe) their Coney Island Raceway go-kart track. So it's not unprecedented for Central Amusements to reach out beyond Zamperla's portfolio for a specialty attraction.

From my readings on Coney Island... "In 2010 Antonio Zamperla S.p.A. was selected by CAI (Central Amusement International) to restore and renovate the Coney Island area, the company managed the amusement park in New York installing only Zamperla rides, representing a perfect test bed for new attractions before to launch them."

Unlike companies such as Intamin, Vekoma, or Bolliger & Mabillard that concentrate on larger and faster roller coasters, Zamperla focuses on more family-friendly roller coasters that can be easily mass-produced, taken down, and transported to different locations. They are also a major manufacturer of flat rides.

That being said, while Zamperla deserves praise for a 'job well-done,' I, myself, would have been happier to see some of the other companies mentioned above being invited to produce a greater, more exciting diversity of coasters! :lol:

Greedy Alice

Please tell me what is "family-friendly" about the death-machine Volares? :lmao:
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Mike240SX wrote:
ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:
larrygator wrote:
A.J. wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^I'm not super familiar with all the new Coney Island stuff and the Zamperla deal...are there any other non-Zamperla rides/attractions in the stuff that they run?

Obviously there's the Carousel and the Cyclone. Everything else is a Zamperla attraction except for their Sling Shot ride, which is a Funtime semi-portable installation, and (I believe) their Coney Island Raceway go-kart track. So it's not unprecedented for Central Amusements to reach out beyond Zamperla's portfolio for a specialty attraction.

From my readings on Coney Island... "In 2010 Antonio Zamperla S.p.A. was selected by CAI (Central Amusement International) to restore and renovate the Coney Island area, the company managed the amusement park in New York installing only Zamperla rides, representing a perfect test bed for new attractions before to launch them."

Unlike companies such as Intamin, Vekoma, or Bolliger & Mabillard that concentrate on larger and faster roller coasters, Zamperla focuses on more family-friendly roller coasters that can be easily mass-produced, taken down, and transported to different locations. They are also a major manufacturer of flat rides.

That being said, while Zamperla deserves praise for a 'job well-done,' I, myself, would have been happier to see some of the other companies mentioned above being invited to produce a greater, more exciting diversity of coasters! :lol:

Greedy Alice

Please tell me what is "family-friendly" about the death-machine Volares? :lmao:

Or the horrifying new Thunderbolt!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:

Greedy Alice

Just one slight correction

CAI is a subsidiary of Zamperla, they were selected by NYCEDC (New York City Economic Development Corporation) to manage Luna Park in 2010, the only non-Zamperla rides installed in new Luna Park was the Wild River log flume. Using Coney Island as a test bed for new Zamperla attractions is accurate.

Every time a new parcel of land has made available for new rides through an RFP (Request for Proposal) process, CAI has won the rights (Scream Zone, Thunderbolt, these newest additions)
The new Brooklyn Miniature Golf Course and the new slick race track adjoining it are on property still owned by Thor Equities.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:17 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:09 pm

EDIT: Put this in the wrong thread, my apologies.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby southcenter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Can we call this Shoot-the-Chutes PLEASE? That would be AWESOME!!!

[img]http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/image_59.jpeg[/img]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:18 pm

I would love it if Nathan's were to sponsor this ride and it has hot dog shaped boats. It would be the best flume ever.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:08 pm

As the summer is winding down, I decided to stop by Coney Island tonight to just walk around. The place really comes alive at night and the light packages for the old parachute tower and Thunderbolt are very impressive.
20180829_210042[1].jpg
Starting from the west, are the parachute tower (80% lighted) and the B&B Carousell
20180829_210049[1].jpg
Now fully lit
20180829_210037[1].jpg
The Brooklyn Cyclones had a night game so the area was busy tonight
20180829_210103[1].jpg
Future home of the flume between the B&B Carousel and Thunderbolt.
20180829_210139[1].jpg
This street (West 15th) to the east of Thunderbolt is where the ropes course will be built.
20180829_205808[1].jpg
The new AstroTower
20180829_210322[1].jpg
The Endeavor shows off its lights
20180829_205623[1].jpg
Continuing to move east, this is Stillwell Avenue, about 1/3 of this street will bcome shaded, receive benches turn into a game area.
20180829_205502[1].jpg
About 1/3 of West 12th Street will be reclaimed and turned into shaded food stands and seating.
20180829_210642[1].jpg
Looking out over Luna Park from the Boardwalk. Yes I skipped right over Deno's WonderWheel Park with the photos.
20180829_210745[1].jpg
The other new 2018 addition, Coney Clipper
20180829_210805[1].jpg
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:09 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Love Donkeys!

Postby djmadmanray » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:44 am

Yes, the lighting packages look great. It's been years since I've been there at night so thanks for the report and great pictures!

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!