Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 136: Log flume, zip-line, ropes course & more announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:54 am

You did get a bit unlucky with the late Spring Break this year. Great Adventure and Luna Park are both opening later than normal.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:55 am

Assuming you know this but Great Adventure opens April 1st. Can you extend your trip into the weekend?

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm

So today Gencx24 and I decided to take a quick trip into Brooklyn for some rides on Cyclone and Thunderbolt. With no traffic Coney Island is about a 15 minute ride from where we live. It was a beautiful day so we figured why the hell not, it was also an excuse to head to the L&B for the best Sicilian slice in the world.

We arrived at Luna Park for opening and there was a moderate crowd at the park but no waits for the coasters. We rode each coaster twice for the cheap price of 40 dollars. Cyclone was running like a dream as usual, the airtime in the back seats were incredible as we were tossed over each hill. This coaster continues to deliever, even at its age. Now I know most people on here are not very fond of the Thunderbolt and I was part of that crowd the year it opened, but I must say it has grown on me majorily since. In the front it is a very, fun, forceful coaster. You just need to lean into the elements so you aren't thrown around like a car crash. My one complaint with today was the seating policy on both coasters, it was an empty day and the operators still wouldn't let us pick our seats, but it is what it is, this minor hiccup did not put a blemish on the day.

On our second ride of Cyclone as we were seated, Nick noticed a familiar face. ConeyIslandChris was living up to his namesake taking a spin on the Cyclone. After we exited the ride we met up with him for a quick chat. Overall it was a fun day to end my spring break on as the reality of work sinks in tomorrow.
IMG_3381.JPG
Ahh there she is, one of my favorite landmarks in this city we call home.
IMG_3383.JPG
I really like the post card look of this filter.
IMG_3384.JPG
IMG_3385.JPG
New ticket design
IMG_3386.JPG
90 years of airtime.
IMG_3389.JPG
IMG_3390.JPG
Wonder Wheel
IMG_3392.JPG
A look down the bordwalk. I hope Zamperla will add a drop tower to the park one day.
IMG_3394.JPG
I don' remember this being there last year but I like it.
IMG_3395.JPG
Endeavor. I would probably pass away on this.
IMG_3396.JPG
The Bolt doing its thing.
IMG_3398.JPG
Thunderbolt card
IMG_3399.JPG
A different look at Thunderbolt. Does anyone know whats going in the big empty lot next door?
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG
This turnaround is one of the more intense elements I've ridden.
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG
The original. We've come a long way from hotdogs being 5 cents.
IMG_3404.JPG
The nerve Burger King has putting that next to Nathan's.
IMG_3405.JPG
More Cyclone.
IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG
Being from New York and being of Italian decent I can safely say L&B has the title of best Sicilian slice on planet earth.
IMG_3408.JPG
Garlic crust, sauce on top and cheese underneath. Perfection.
IMG_3410.JPG
Gotta top it off with some Spumoni. Thanks for reading!
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Great update! I'm also a fan of Thunderbolt. We rode it last fall during a thunderstorm (which I assume was part of the theming) and I don't understand any of the hate this ride gets. We found it to be a lot of fun and perfectly smooth.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I rarely eat Sicilian pizza, but when I do I prefer L&B Spumoni Gardens.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:58 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

coasterbill wrote:Great update! I'm also a fan of Thunderbolt. We rode it last fall during a thunderstorm (which I assume was part of the theming) and I don't understand any of the hate this ride gets. We found it to be a lot of fun and perfectly smooth.

Its a extremely forceful ride, the first airtime hill out of the turnaround is nuts.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm

larrygator wrote:I rarely eat Sicilian pizza, but when I do I prefer L&B Spumoni Gardens.

:nina:

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Jcoaster wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Great update! I'm also a fan of Thunderbolt. We rode it last fall during a thunderstorm (which I assume was part of the theming) and I don't understand any of the hate this ride gets. We found it to be a lot of fun and perfectly smooth.

Its a extremely forceful ride, the first airtime hill out of the turnaround is nuts.

I may have missed this but were there any adjustments made to Thunderbolt after its opening year? I remember most of the people from the mini-East Coast trip in 2014 were not fans.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby snapfordakids » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:16 pm

I agree with the Thunderbolt love.
Speaking of the turnaround element... I'm wondering if Zamperla actually ever created a name for this element? RCDB just list it as a Dive Loop but it's oh so much more than a typical DL.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:23 pm

It looks like a mini dive loop. The forces crush you into your seat and then it sends you flying with that first airtime hill.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!