Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Page 125: Amusement area expansion at Coney Island
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Re: Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue May 23, 2017 8:27 am

coasterbill wrote:
Satans Hockey wrote:Very curious to see the price.

I'm also curious... and a little afraid. :lol:

As am I, to be honest. Considering last year they were charging $70 for the regular 4 hour wristband + 5 extreme rides of your choice, I want to hope it'll be along those lines, but I have a sinking suspicion that it's probably going to end up closer to the $100 range.
That coaster dad [273] and that coaster kiddo [154]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: El Toro. Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Thunderbolt (LP).

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am

^ Actually... color me surprised. The prices are now up.

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 11.28.40 AM.png

The weekday prices are totally fair, and on the weekdays the under 48" bands are now cheaper than the old option. I'm impressed!
That coaster dad [273] and that coaster kiddo [154]. Road trip buddies for life.

Kiddo's faves: El Toro. Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Thunderbolt (LP).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 23, 2017 8:40 am

Those prices are batsh*t insane. The one day wristband on a weekend is the same price as Great Adventure's thrill pass which gives you unlimited visits all summer to an infinitely better park and over 20 bucks more than a regular day ticket.

They're an improvement over last year but they're still completely nuts.

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 am

coasterbill wrote:Those prices are batsh*t insane. The one day wristband on a weekend is the same price as Great Adventure's thrill pass which gives you unlimited visits all summer to an infinitely better park and over 20 bucks more than a regular day ticket.

They're an improvement over last year but they're still completely nuts.

1) Don't go on a weekend then.
2) I don't disagree that Six Flags makes their business off of giving away the gate and trying to convert people to season passes. Meanwhile, Luna Park doesn't have a season pass system.
3) Everything in NYC is priced higher than its neighboring counterparts, and that's kinda because of the captive audience. There's a large portion of the city that, for them, this is their only option for an amusement park.
4) I'd much rather pay the $50 on a weekday and get as many rides on the Cyclone and Thunderbolt in as I possibly can in a single day, something that simply wasn't possible in the past without taking out a small business loan from a bank.

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 23, 2017 9:13 am

coneyislandchris wrote:3) Everything in NYC is priced higher than its neighboring counterparts, and that's kinda because of the captive audience. There's a large portion of the city that, for them, this is their only option for an amusement park.

This is definitely what it all comes down to but I'd still argue that the prices are absurdly high from the perspective of the majority of people on this site who would be traveling to go there (even on a weekday). Yes, they can get away with charging these prices because you're dealing with a captive audience and I'm not questioning that but I still feel completely justified in pointing out the fact that it's completely ridiculous that a one day wristband on a weekend is at the same price point as a pass that gets you into Six Flags all summer long ($72.99), a 2 day ticket to Cedar Point or any other park in the Cedar Fair chain ($70) or a single day ticket to any non-Disney or Universal park in the country.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 am

The weekday price is eh but I can at least justify going once this year to finally ride the cyclone and I wouldn't probably ever go back unless something new I actually wanna ride opens. Agreed on the weekend price though, you can get a season pass at six flags for that price lol

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 23, 2017 9:27 am

Yeah upon further review, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this makes Luna Park the most expensive single day ticket of any non Disney or Universal park in America if you visit on a weekend. You have to admit that that's a bit nuts. :lol:

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 am

coasterbill wrote:Yeah upon further review, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this makes Luna Park the most expensive single day ticket of any non Disney or Universal park in America if you visit on a weekend. You have to admit that that's a bit nuts. :lol:

Eh, I spent enough time doing the research on those Kennywood heights a few days back... I'll take your word on it for this one. :lol:

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open to see whether or not they offer any Groupon discounts this season; the only reason I visited last year was thanks to the 2-for-$80 deal they were offering on the old extreme ones. If they can offer that price point or beat it with the new unlimited bands, to me, it's a no-brainer.

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 am

coneyislandchris wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Yeah upon further review, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this makes Luna Park the most expensive single day ticket of any non Disney or Universal park in America if you visit on a weekend. You have to admit that that's a bit nuts. :lol:

Eh, I spent enough time doing the research on those Kennywood heights a few days back... I'll take your word on it for this one. :lol:

:lol: Sounds fair. I actually found one by the way, the Florida Busch / Sea World tickets are more expensive but I feel like their single day ticket is just there to essentially force you to buy the Sea World combo pass or Busch Gardens 2 day / 3 day ticket in which case it ends up being a much better deal than Luna park. They're also whoring themselves out on Groupon and Retailmenot so you could technically pay more to go to one of those parks for a day than you could for Luna park but you'd have to be an idiot.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 am

Considering I spent $40 on tickets last year to ride the coasters, I would consider the weekend wristband even at that price. But it definitely would only be something I'd do every few years or so because of how high it is.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!