TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

Yeah upon further review, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this makes Luna Park the most expensive single day ticket of any non Disney or Universal park in America if you visit on a weekend. You have to admit that that's a bit nuts.

The internet sez Legoland California is $84. Buying a BGW ticket onsite is listed at $90. The Florida SEAS parks are more expensive too. But yeah, a pretty short list. And all of them are outfitted a little different than Coney Island. I'd probably be sufficiently satiated if I paid $100 for the card for my wife and I should I end up there, say, Sunday...

Just posted up a trip report from this past Saturday which you can find over in this thread, complete with photos and GIFs. Because that's how I roll now, apparently. Needless to say, did not take "advantage" of the $69 ride-all-day wristbands. It's also worth noting that these wristbands only give you a single ride apiece on the Coney Island Raceway go-karts and the Slingshot, which is to be expected because those were the two priciest upcharge style attractions.

• 2 weeks later...

I met up with some friends yesterday at Coney Island. People might think the prices are high but I think CAI is doing a great job pricing the wristband to market conditions. Lines to buy wristbands and cards were long but rides queue lines were very manageable.

If you compare LunaPark to a corporate park the admission pricing is usually going to favor the corporate parks. Luna Park makes no money for parking and the food concessions % is much lower due to the outside businesses running most food stands. Yesterday there was a free pet talent show on the boardwalk that was more entertaining than any Six Flags Great Adventure show since the removal of the foul mouthed Percy Pelican show.

Luna Park (and many other shore parks) sits on very expensive property. If prices are not managed properly it is a no win situation for all involved.

The Luna Park/Scream Park all day wristband is expensive if you visit repeatedly, but for a first timer on the weekend it is in line with the value you get, if you take advantage of the 3 rides that are normally upcharges. Those 3 upcharge rides alone are priced at $46. That equates to only $24 for the rest of the rides.

I rode Endeavor for the first time and thought it was a very good, intense ride. It felt a little more intense than an Enterprise, maybe it was because I'm getting older, maybe I was a little dehydrated but I really liked it.

Edited by larrygator

Did you happen to ride Thunderbolt, Larry? If so, does it seem to be riding any differently, or is it still suffering from the same roughness people have previously pointed out?

I didn't ride this time, but the couple I was with (who are well traveled) really liked it and said it was not painful, they ride the Volare next, so it wasn't a comparison between the two. They hated the Volare. At the end of the day, they gave me their Luna Card with $20 left on it, so I will ride it sometime this summer.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I haven't been active enough, but good news, I'm working at Luna Park as we speak as a ride operator, so I'm actually in on what they're going to do or might do, if you need proof I have my uniform and name tag as proof

Went to Luna Park last Saturday for a short visit. Thunderbolt is very rough for my standards but not as bad as people said. I wish Zamperla could’ve worked harder on the track manufacturing because you feel every joint of track right in your spine.

Cyclone is such a pleasant surprise, GCI did a fantastic job at the retracking.

Hey guys, I haven't been active enough, but good news, I'm working at Luna Park as we speak as a ride operator, so I'm actually in on what they're going to do or might do, if you need proof I have my uniform and name tag as proof

No amount of "forum cool points" is worth violating confidentiality agreements. Just don't even bother.

• 2 months later...
...I'm working at Luna Park as we speak as a ride operator...

Shouldn't you be operating the ride instead of posting on TPR?? #AskingForAFriend

Wonder Wheel, Thunderbolt, Skating Rink, B&B Carousel and Stop the Zombies 7D will all be open and free again on New Yera's eve.

I can't imagine how many people will be crammed in there!

^They're not Lusses, despite the Auto Skooter moniker, but are fairly hard-hitting (and also fun to whiz around in like go-karts). The attraction is best known for its thumping nightclub atmosphere (people routinely mistake the building for such) and its quirky, enthusiastic staff (jumping onto moving cars, etc.).

Wonder Wheel, Thunderbolt, Skating Rink, B&B Carousel and Stop the Zombies 7D will all be open and free again on New Yera's eve.

I can't imagine how many people will be crammed in there!

Too many. Way too many. According to the Luna Park page, although the rides are open from 6 to 12 on NYE, they will be cutting off the lines at 9:30 PM. Ehhhh... I'll pass.

In the meantime, they also announced their opening date for next season, which will be Saturday, March 24th, 2018. Pretty sure I'll be in Doswell, VA on that date though.

^They're not Lusses, despite the Auto Skooter moniker, but are fairly hard-hitting (and also fun to whiz around in like go-karts). The attraction is best known for its thumping nightclub atmosphere (people routinely mistake the building for such) and its quirky, enthusiastic staff (jumping onto moving cars, etc.).

That last part sounds particularly awesome!

El Dorado Bumper Cars will also be open, and the New York Aquarium will extend its hours to 9 p.m.

Link

... or not.

El Dorado Bumper Cars will still be open, the New York Aquarium will still extend their hours and the carousel will run for the first 250 riders but the other rides will be closed.

• 1 month later...

Ah jeez, haven't been here in forever, I went to coney island and I took a few picture, it was very cloudy so the park looked like a ghost town, guys, it was so surreal, Brooklyn flyer was taken down and it was in pieces, I didn't notice till I left the park, workers were fixing things, maintenance was in a hurry, some rides were missing too. It was so empty that I had chills.

1426772288_20180220_1155511.thumb.jpg.45528fc9bd682ecd20836438ddb76a3f.jpg

Peeking at the entrance of the new Sharks! exhibit

471972371_received_15684043466086601.thumb.jpeg.b4adcf10718336ead58896cca4bf87e2.jpeg

Power Surge Where Are You

943533259_received_15683335532824061.thumb.jpeg.a0517ea79e95dc6037ba37dfce798a3a.jpeg

Where's Water Mania? (Yes I was inside the park)

1715526545_20180220_1203581.thumb.jpg.c8128878c78894e30f0ae094ce5ee1e6.jpg

From this angle it looks empty

2127893121_20180220_1155001.thumb.jpg.db3b68be71357195725a9f7b28a4f2b9.jpg

Another Peek of the new entrance of the Sharks! exhibit

809378600_20180220_1206481.thumb.jpg.5749f81507c99ca4041de53f3cc2e529.jpg

So, is power surge coming back?

1669814133_20180220_1151381.thumb.jpg.5ed056aed4206d38ce462e3e1ef46f9d.jpg

The Shark Exhibit facade

1728233528_20180220_1202351.thumb.jpg.3203a1776b52080364b96617511c54cb.jpg

The new mural, dedicated to the dangers of plastic in the water

1997461728_20180220_1202031.thumb.jpg.058424bef22267219395da8446ff21f0.jpg

pt 2

662303758_20180220_1201361.thumb.jpg.2a6fe02be6b4789d2ae545797d2b68ae.jpg

pt3

167166810_20180220_1153561.thumb.jpg.0d8e0c5d7a9dbb50964213ec23f6d3b7.jpg

Another peek

Opening day is March 24th (Saturday)! I believe that's a week earlier than last year, or maybe I'm going to a week later this year. None of the coasters particularly excite me, but I'll be in NYC opening weekend so that gives me an opportunity to visit a new park. Lots of unique flats and rides here + easy public transportation are big pluses in my book!

http://lunaparknyc.com/plan/park-hours/

Opening day is March 24th (Saturday)! I believe that's a week earlier than last year, or maybe I'm going to a week later this year. None of the coasters particularly excite me, but I'll be in NYC opening weekend so that gives me an opportunity to visit a new park. Lots of unique flats and rides here + easy public transportation are big pluses in my book!

http://lunaparknyc.com/plan/park-hours/

Make sure you ride the Cyclone in the back. If the Cyclone is still running as well as it was in 2016, you'll be in for some crazy ejector air on almost every single drop.

• 2 weeks later...