TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

^ I saw that video a while back and I agree 100%. The other time I saw someone do that was the Big One at Blackpool.

I don't understand why someone would risk their lives to climb all the way up since they're getting arrested even if they make it. And then if they somehow avoid the cops, they're nice enough to post a video on social media so they can be tracked down.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thorpe Park today announced that 2018 will be "The Year of The Walking Dead" at the park.

DVScpQvX4AYpvaH.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.8dc68c6c7c40f01eadb70d4a0d923b59.jpeg

With multiple experiences happening through out the year it seems the Walking Dead have truly invaded the island! The headliner to be announced is rumoured to be a re themed version of X.

What are your thoughts of the park getting yet another IP, comment below and let us know!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thorpepark.com/rides/the-walking-dead-the-ride

DWd_sW0X4AADXKA.jpg.b88ebdbbdc89a5d5a2fe3d5ead5f9f55.jpg

THORPE PARK Resort is overrun by Walkers and there is but one goal: survive. Making it to the sanctuary of the Safe Zone is vital for salvation. Located at the centre of the Island, navigate your way to the safety of the indoor bunker - but be warned. All signs point to an imminent invasion of Walkers, so keep your head down and move quickly for your best chance of staying alive.

We will see you at the Safe Zone…For the first time ever, experience The Walking Dead: The Ride. Those who ride…survive!

This attraction is not suitable for those under the age of 13, guests with: heart, neck or back problems, epilepsy or claustrophobia as the ride contains sudden stops, lighting effects and haze and those who suffer from motion sickness or dizziness.

DWehMeWWsAAmRHS.thumb.jpg.ace35ce430f8da5a9544b621e4f03a40.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/thorpe-park-walking-dead-roller-coaster-theme-parks-zombies-days-out-a8219266.html

Thorpe Park's "chief scaremonger" has told how he created terrifying special effects for the brand new The Walking Dead: The Ride after watching close to 150 episodes of the smash hit zombie TV show - twice. John Burton, 26, is the brains behind the multi-sensory coaster, which is the first in the world to be themed on AMC’s post-apocalyptic global TV phenomenon.

The experience invites thrill seekers to flee The Walking Dead in a relentless and spine-chilling bid for survival. The "completely immersive" ride comes complete with state-of-the-art special effects, and a replica of the iconic Watch Tower. Those who are brave enough will travel through deep, dark tunnels amid extensive and realistic themes, bringing to life some of the most compelling and gruesome scenes from the show. They will be confronted by blood-soaked zombies throughout the ride – and even the queue is expected to be scary.

Married John, who started working on the design 18 months ago, said: "Guests will believe the walking dead are all around them - like they are in their own episode of the show. ‘’I watched every episode of the series from start to finish and back to front twice to ensure we got everything exactly right. ‘’I was a fan of the show anyway, but I spent two months watching it along with official AMC Walker training videos. ‘’Thorpe Park Resort has been consistently raising the bar in the scare stakes for years and this will be the ultimate test of riders’ mettle.

John, who lives in Kew near Richmond, Surrey added: ‘’Our Fright Nights season was amazing. The next step was to give The Walking Dead its own ride, a home here. ‘’It is going to be right up there with the best in the world in terms of the whole experience. ‘’We are combining physical and digital effects because it is going to be dark, so we are going to make the most of that. ''The darkness acted as a canvas for us. We have incorporated the latest in special effects, lighting, smells and even touch elements to create a terrifyingly unique atmosphere. ‘’The experience does not stop when you get off the ride. The whole experience from the point when you join the queue is going to be immense.''

Earlier this month, keen candidates were put through their paces in a bid to land one of the oddest jobs on the planet – a scare actor at Thorpe Park Resort during their upcoming Year of The Walking Dead. Wannabe zombies are required to meet strict ‘scare-factor’ criteria including the ability to frighten guests in any environment, coping with sudden screams from thrill-seekers, and keeping in character in any situation. Key responsibilities include being able to interact in character with members of the public, being able to become zombie-like at a moment’s notice, and being able to cope well with sudden noises from thrill seekers, including screaming.

The roller coaster opens this Easter and is at the centre of Thorpe Park Resort’s Year of The Walking Dead unmissable series of events. The Surrey based theme park re-opens for its 2018 season on Friday 23 March.

Edited by jedimaster1227

So hope they can keep it a bit down in the summer months. I'm going to visit the park the first time this year and I'm not in the mood in the summer for cheap halloween stuf, I'm okay if they keep it till the night time.

About the coaster, From what I know about the ride it seems like this could be a step up, if they used the stops. Let's see how this turns out. Also is it a one year deal or does it keep the theming? I think it's to expensive for a one year deal.

It's a huge step up. X as it has been for the past few years has been a shadow of it's past glory, the thing that made the ride unique back before 2013 was the dramatic music, whole ride going backwards in the dark and the fakeout stops. After its last renovation it was just a roller skater inside a nightclub.

It's a huge step up. X as it has been for the past few years has been a shadow of it's past glory, the thing that made the ride unique back before 2013 was the dramatic music, whole ride going backwards in the dark and the fakeout stops. After its last renovation it was just a roller skater inside a nightclub.

I was bummed I got the latter experience last year. I was looking forward to the odd experience.

I was bummed I got the latter experience last year. I was looking forward to the odd experience.

I got the former experience and was completely underwhelmed (and confused).

I got the former experience and was completely underwhelmed (and confused).

The original version had its theming taken out years ago, the themed part of the queue was converted to be used for Fright Nights so it never made much sense. I prefer the updated version the stops were pointless and slowed it down and the new theme is vibrant, before it was just dark and dull. Good to see the stops weren't just me imagining things although it does go backwards a little bit halfway through the ride too right (and still does as X i'm pretty sure) The new theme is a much needed refresh hopefully they fix the restraints so people can ride alone too as it caused loads of problems. Can see this having massive queues due to the awful capacity and people getting disappointed as its just X, which alone is underwhelming but I guess we'll see. I like the zombie idea at the stops.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question..

I'm going to Thorpe july 16th, the park is still open just from 10-17 (low peak?) - how crowded is the park usually the week before longer hours?

Should I spend more money on the fasttrack (£90 for unlimited)

Thoughts?

I visited in September on a rainy Saturday with the off-peak (10-5) hours and the park was packed! Unlike the US parks when we run for shelter on a dreary day, the park was packed. Looking back, I regret not getting an Unlimited Fast Track. Below were the waits for the major rides on my visit:

Colossus- 60-70 minutes

Saw- 45 minutes

Nemesis Inferno- 50-70 minutes

Stealth- 45-60 minutes

Swarm- 45-90 minutes

X- 20-30 minutes

Derren Brown- 90-120 minutes

I have a question..

I'm going to Thorpe july 16th, the park is still open just from 10-17 (low peak?) - how crowded is the park usually the week before longer hours?

Should I spend more money on the fasttrack (£90 for unlimited)

Thoughts?

Prepare for hoards of school trips, one train operations and really - the worst! I think the unlimited fast tracks unnecessary maybe get the one which is 1 ride on every major coaster, on a school trippy kind of day, barely anyone uses fastrack so it should work well. Don't queue ages for the walking dead, i'm a celebrity or DBGT as you will most likely be disappointed but if you catch it with a short queue DBGT is definitely worth a ride. Good luck

^ I actually had really good operations and two trains on all major coasters (except Colossus) during my visit. The reason for the waits were crowds, so I can't fault the park there.

I also really liked Derren Brown. I'm not a fan of VR on coasters, but I absolutely loved how it was used on this pseudo haunted house/ghost train.

• 1 month later...

It should be fine, all the schools are back so it shouldn't be bad at all. If for some reason it is busy (even if it's because they insist on running everything on a single train operation), you can just buy Fastpass on the day. Whether you go for Adrenaline or Island Unlimited is up to you, but remember with Adrenaline you get five coaster rides; not necessarily on the same coaster as you can mix and match.