Wild Adventures Discussion Thread

P. 13: Dinosaurs coming in 2016
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Wild Adventures Discussion Thread

Postby MrAwesome101 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:31 pm

I hope this park gets a B&M in the coming years , I think it would stand out from the rest of the coasters
Who lives in a Pineapple Under the sea :)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Mr. Corn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 pm

^Thats like saying:
+MiA will get a giga
+Tatsu will get a repaint
+Six Flags will put in another dark ride besides JL:BFM
+Wildwater Kingdom will get an addition of any sort
+Any rumor regarding a Dorney Park GCI will come true
Follow me on Instagram: @SoCal.Thrills
Youtube Channel: Coaster Comedy (<--Go Sub!!!)

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:46 pm

^^Yeah there's like absolutely no chance of that happening, like ever, zero percent.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:17 am

I hope the park gets an interactive dark ride or new water ride. Like a Zamperla Water Mania/ Mack Twist & Splash/ Mack Splash Battle.

The park is so hot, I'm surprised there aren't stories of people passing out in the park.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club
Joined January 30, 2015

Elissa + Hangman Fanboy

Postby FlippyTrick09 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Photo TR - Saturday, July 30th, 2016

Ever since I was a kid on TPR I wanted to do a photo TR of my now old home park, Wild Adventures. Sadly, life got in the way, and I grew older and moved further away, but I always remembered how much this site and park both meant to me as a a young coaster enthusiast. Fast forward about 11 years, and by golly the stars aligned! This weekend I happened to be visiting family, and a friend shared a news article about Wild Adventures offering free tickets to educators through Monday. Since I never intended on visiting the park, I did not have my camera with me, but I hopped in my car anyway, and made my way down to Wild Adventures!

It has been about 6 years since I visited Wild Adventures, so I was very excited to see what changed throughout the park, but, more importantly, relive some great memories through what had not. I'll make this writing portion short and sweet, by saying that HFE has done a wonderful job recreating this location in to a family-friendly theme park. Through their re-themes of certain areas, and addition of many trees, this park has really become a great place to spend a day. I feel they are really hitting their target market lately by offering more low-thrill rides, and adding their Dinosaur exhibit. I do feel like the park would benefit by adding another high-thrill type attraction, especially since part of the reason it has been so long since I've been back is that I feel I've exhausted most of the park's offerings. However, spending more time just walking around and enjoying the sights and sounds has really allowed me to respect Wild Adventures in a new light. I would happily suggest that those coming through the area stop by and check it out for yourself. It is no thrill capital, but it does have some quality rides that will leave you with a big smile on your face.

Now for pictures!
IMG_1770.jpg
The first coaster you see coming in to the park - Ant Farm Express.
IMG_1772.jpg
When I was a kid, you could not get me off this ride. I guess it was something about riding in a shoe? I don't know, I was pretty weird... (I was a coaster enthusiast after all!)
IMG_1773.jpg
The second coaster in the children's portion - Go Bananas! I, however, thought the old name, Bug-Out, was pretty cool.
IMG_1775.jpg
Go Bananas! Was actually a walk-on when I arrived. I have never been the sole rider on a coaster before, so this was a pretty neat experience!
IMG_1776.jpg
I vaguely remember Elissa loving the old name for this ride. I really can't remember what it was called!
IMG_1778.jpg
In Wild Adventures you can spit and it land on a Vekoma.
IMG_1783.jpg
Swamp Thing, and its sign. Even though the paint scheme is very Nickelodeon Universe, I love it!
IMG_1784.jpg
Coke Freestyle shop and Top Spin.
IMG_1788.jpg
This ride sits on the former S&S Screamin' Swing sight. I never understood why they had two, but I loved them!
IMG_1789.jpg
*Insert distasteful Disney joke here*
IMG_1800.jpg
One HFE's original additions. The Rattler is one of the many rides in a pretty great line-up of flat rides.
IMG_1802.jpg
The new-for-2016 Dinosaur exhibit. I skipped this, because there were large numbers of children running through.
IMG_1804.jpg
A quick look at part of Splash Island from the amphitheater. In some respects, Splash Island is far more popular than Wild Adventures
IMG_1805.jpg
Hey look! The amphitheater where Andy Grammer (artist who sings 'Honey I'm Good' and 'It's Fine By Me') will perform later in the evening. Funny story about that later in the TR....
IMG_1806.jpg
The entrance to Splash Island, since it's free with park admission, there was a steady stream of bathing suit clad people heading that way.
IMG_1807.jpg
What comes up.
IMG_1811.jpg
Must come down.
IMG_1812.jpg
For you lift hill enthusiasts.
IMG_1814.jpg
Twisted Typhoon is a strikingly good Vekoma SLC. I have a theory that its relative smoothness is related to the softer South Georgia ground it was built upon, but it's probably just because they built it correctly.
IMG_1817.jpg
Walking up part of the exit will give you some great shots.
IMG_1818.jpg
Hangma..... I mean Twisted Typhoon.
IMG_1820.jpg
Viking's Voyage, the transplant from Celebration City.
IMG_1822.jpg
HFE really has done a better job with the shade. The pines reminded me of portions of SFOG.
IMG_1824.jpg
This Cheetah does not Chase. This Cheetah does not Hunt. This Cheetah just Cheetahs.
IMG_1828.jpg
A little better look at Viking's Voyage. This is one of those rides that is fun, because it is so bizarre.
IMG_1833.jpg
The lake offers some great vantage points across the park. I am glad they took down the trees that were in the middle.
IMG_1836.jpg
Ok, so the funny story about Andy Grammer. As I was queuing for the Cheetah, I noticed a large group coming up the exit ramp. As the security broke through the crowd of patrons exiting the ride, I caught a glimpse of Andy (I only recognized him since I saw his poster earlier). As is customary with honored guests, he was allowed on to the front of the train ahead of everyone else. As everyone finished boarding the train, I heard a call for a single rider. Not knowing where it came from, I raised my hand, and someone motioned me to a seat right behind Andy, next to Doug, his keyboardist. The guys were great, and were awesome to talk to. When we got off, Andy gladly agreed to a photo, because I knew my students would be very jealous that I was able to ride a roller coaster with someone they hear on the radio. It was a pretty neat experience!
IMG_1843.jpg
This train takes you around the safari portion of Wild Adventures.
IMG_1846.jpg
Not only does it offer great views of animals, it also offers fantastic views of The Cheetah and Twisted Typhoon.
IMG_1848.jpg
Ironically, the other side of the lake offers better views of Swamp Thing.
IMG_1851.jpg
In case you wanted to see how the park was laid out.
IMG_1854.jpg
I love the paint-scheme for Boomerang!
IMG_1857.jpg
Coaster through the coaster.
IMG_1862.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg
The river rapids for the park. It has a great beginning, but fairly slow ending.
IMG_1866.jpg
An all-time favorite. I love the theme.
IMG_1870.jpg
Looped back around the park to get another picture of Go Bananas!
IMG_1871.jpg
The Ferris Wheel sports the park's motto - "Together, we are fun at heart!"
IMG_1872.jpg
One of the many animal related shows at Wild Adventures.
IMG_1874.jpg
I think that this is one of the most hidden gems at the park.
IMG_1876.jpg
The Alapaha Trail features animals from around South Georgia and also the world.
IMG_1883.jpg
It takes you to the park's quieter side, and lets you meander through animal exhibits, as well as an actual swamp.
IMG_1884.jpg
Portions of the trail are turned in to a haunt zone during Halloween.
IMG_1885.jpg
You are able to move at your own pace, and the entire walk is naturally shaded.
IMG_1887.jpg
It is even home to my spirit animal.
IMG_1892.jpg
Really, it is truly beautiful.
IMG_1895.jpg
If you ever want a quiet place to beat the heat, this is the place to go.
IMG_1897.jpg
Now you see how Swamp Thing gets its name.
IMG_1909.jpg
The big thrill when they added the ride years ago was that you actually rode over alligators. If I remember, it took them a while to actually finish the habitat, but it offers a neat experience!
IMG_1912.jpg
The latest ride in the WA line-up. Sadly it was down. The area around it has some Orff-style instruments for guests to play on. As a music teacher, this really made me smile!
IMG_1913.jpg
As seen on Zombieland. Also down.
IMG_1920.jpg
Another classic flat ride. It was truly a great few hours at Wild Adventures!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RideofSteel » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:31 pm

Great Photo TR! Wild Adventures looks like a great place to spend a couple hours.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby SFOG1991 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:25 am

Thanks for the great trip report! I have visited this park many times in the last 10 years so it holds a special place in my heart as well. My first visit a little over 10 years ago actually helped solidify my status as a coaster enthusiast. Who would've thought a bunch of standard Vekomas would do that! The park is off the beaten path and rarely visited by people here so I should probably follow suit and do a report as well sometime.

The slide was originally named Insecto-slide I believe (back when everything in the kids area was bug themed).

The park has improved so much since the new ownership! It's much prettier now and much more well rounded. I miss the old bug theme on some rides, and think some of the new names are less inspired, but overall the additions have really rounded out the park nicely and the trees and attention to detail have transformed the park. I do agree the only thing I wish they would do is add a lower budget custom thrilling coaster. Maybe something like Lightning Run. Really any full size steel coaster that doesn't cost too much, custom or not, would fill out the park perfectly. I understand that's still a hefty investment though and other than that the park is pretty much perfect for its market.

Anyways, glad you had a great time, loved reading your opinions, and even though I'm not a huge Andy fan I'm slightly jealous of your experience on Cheetah! Too cool.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby SFOG1991 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Wild Adventures has announced a family addition to Splash Island water park for the 2017 season with the addition of OHANA BAY. It appears to be a splash area and play structure with five children's slides and two slightly larger slides, as well as additional lounge space for parents in particular to watch their kids play. It doesn't appear that any artwork has been released yet.

From the Wild Adventures website:

ohanabay.JPG

Splash Island's getting BIGGER and WETTER in 2017 with OHANA BAY, a new family oasis with seven slides for everyone in your family, from the biggest kahunas to the tiniest tadpoles.

Splash Facts
  • Ohana is the Hawaiian word for family. We're calling it OHANA BAY, but you'll call it a water-soaked escape your family can't get enough of!
  • It's an all-new area in Splash Island Waterpark beside Hakini Rapids and Kona Cliffs
  • 5 of the 7 slides are just right for the smaller surfers in your group to race to the big splash!
  • The bigger kids can speed down slides with 200 feet of twisting, turning fun from 27 feet high
  • Mom and dad can kick back and relax in additional seating around the Bay while they watch the kids having a great time

We'll share more details between now and the opening of Ohana Bay. The best way to stay updated and in-the-know plus get exclusive special offers and more is by subscribing to our emails. Click here or scroll to the bottom to subscribe now!

The BEST way to enjoy the new OHANA BAY coming this Spring is with a 2017 Season Pass because you can use it RIGHT NOW for the rest of 2016's fun plus ALL of the 2017 Season! Get your Pass today to save up to $35 get the most benefits. Hurry! Sale ends October 30th.

CsfQ7Q0VIAAeRcm (1).jpg

Source: http://www.wildadventures.com/Plan-Your-Visit/New-for-2017

It seems HFE is really making Wild Adventures a nicer park (as they have been in the last few years) and they know their target audience is more families and those interested in the water park. Hopefully the dry park can get something substantial in coming years too still!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:39 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:00 pm

^Thanks for the update, I had actually almost forgotten about this park. I'm glad they're investing in these sorts of additions and look forward to visiting again with KT at some point.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby SFOG1991 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:09 pm

^You're welcome! This thread has been very quiet.

I try not to have Georgia boy bias, but it has really transformed into a great and beautiful park since the HFE ownership. Just the addition of hundreds of trees alone has done wonders. For a park with mostly standard rides and coasters, it is a very nice decently sized park that still has unique attractions, and the water park is certainly the main draw and is very nice itself. Hopefully we will see bigger additions in the future but it seems like HFE really knows what they are doing. Hope y'all get back soon!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!