TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone else prefer Vekoma SLC's?

So they are a little rougher, big deal.

I think the layout is superior to BTR's. The first inversion is really disorientating and interesting, and the inline twist is AWESOME. It really makes the ride IMO. The foot choppers it provides are mind blowing, much more so than BTR. You even catch a little air on the hill by the station.

BTR in comparison just seemed kind of boring. Two loops and two cork screws? Come on, where's the variety? It was also so smooth that it felt like we were just floating along. Combine that with a boring layout, and a zero G roll that just whips you through it with no airtime, and it's not gonna be high up on the charts for me.

Anyone feel the same way?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Batman is more intense, which is what a lot of people like. (Me, not so much.) B&M certainly has a leg up on Vekoma when it comes to smoothness, which is also what a lot of people like. (Me, definitely.)

For me, it's the B&M inverted over the Vekoma SLC. Hands down.

Eric

When comparing only layouts and disregarding the roughness, manufacturers, and everything else, I'd have to give the SLC the edge. I like it's layout better than the one on BTR clones. However, because of the companies who build them, and when smoothness, train design, etc. is all taken into account, I think that the BTR clones are FAR superior.

I think Batman the Ride is much better than an SLC. It's about the same size but is at least twice as forceful and doesn't have any slow moments. It is also much smoother and is actually re-ridable.

That being said, I think if B&M made an inverted coaster with the SLC layout, it would probably be a great ride. I like the layout of an SLC, just not the experience. However, that isn't very likely to happen so for now BTR is better than an SLC.

Also, as a side note, I've only been on the BTR at SFMM and the SLC at SFDK. I've heard there are smoother SLCs that might be a better ride, but I haven't got the chance to try one yet. Maybe if I find a smooth SLC my opinion will change.

Has anyone here ridden Jubilleee Odyssey? That is one giant*ss loop.

http://www.rcdb.com/1413.htm

According to Wiki, it cost 28 million to build. That is more than most or all B&M inverts. This figure seems high, so it may not be true. Apparently, its Cobra Roll was so big that the coaster sometimes stalled on it, not making it out of the other side.

And I have been on three SLC's. One sucked (T2), and two were pretty good (Serial Thriller at SFWOA and Gauntlet at Magic Springs), with Serial Thriller being the superior. B:TR at SFSTL is superior to all three, but I rode Serial Thriller awhile back, so its a tough comparison.

SLC's do have a lower height requirement, which is a nice plus. The capacity is much worse however.

Nope.

Just adding to what everyone else has said, B:TR also has excellent pacing and is a non-stop, forceful ride. An SLC, on the other hand, has terrible pacing. It consistently slows down and speeds up (which causes the roughness/headbanging), and the only forces are awkward ones.

Is this a joke? I hate most clones, but I actually DO like the B:TR layouts. How could you say it's a boring layout? It's amazingly intense and is element after awesome element. Loop followed by the typically awesome B&M Zero-G-Roll, another disorienting loop. Then it has a great, forceful, helix, turn around into a forceful flat spin, quick turn into another disorienting flatspin over the vertical loop and swooping into the brakes. Sounds awesome to me.

SLC's have an alright layout, but it is not very forceful, has way to many weak spots, and they can be so rough you feel like you got thrown into a UFC match.

So, if you like quality, intense, smooth rides, B&M is a no brainer.

I rode my first "Batman" 15 years ago. At the end of the ride I was like "OMFG WOW!"

15 years later at the end of a Batman ride I'm usually still all "OMFG WOW!"

When I ride an SLC, I'm usually all "OMFG OW!!!"

--Robb "One letter makes a HUGE difference!" Alvey

Ive never been on an slc, but it would probably kill me cause I hate dejavu and some say it is smooth. Batman on the other hand is everything I like in a coaster, its really fast, I love the zero g(and really any other type of inversion) and the only B&M I ever hut my head on was scream, wuch was probably the lightest headbang ever.

B&M>Vekoma Enough said.

Random funny SLC Story...

So a group of us was just in Northern Japan and our last day, our last park had eight credits. We all split up into at least 4 smaller groups...EVERY SINGLE GROUP saved the SLC for last in case we 'didn't have time' or it 'broke down'.

It was pretty funny that we all did this without even knowing.

I'm sorry, but even the best of the SLC's is still not rerideable. I agree with others though, put some B&M Design/Equipment into that layout and it could be really awesome.

The comparison as I see it:

SLC - Horrifically rough, among the roughest coasters in existence. Some minor forces exist and some of the elements are pretty neat, and the foot-choppers are really awesome. However, it is still ridiculously rough.

BTR - Mostly very smooth, especially considering their age (for the older models). Awesome positive g's that can at times make me black out (SFOG's BTR made me black out while sitting in the back almost every time during the second vertical loop and the 3/4 helix turn after it). A fast, compact, relentless ride experience.

For me there is no competition, BTR wins every time. Even on Geauga Lake's SLC (now at Michigan's Adventure) which was incredibly smooth I didn't think it was nearly as good as a BTR.

On any day no way would I ever prefer Kong and Canadian Flight Deck over B:TR. B:TR is way smoother and has alot more good views. The SLC's I find because of the compact nature make you feel like you're just going around in circles.

As for the G's, they're both all pretty strong. They all made me really dizzy afterwards. One thing which B:TR does that I find quite neat is how the flatspins/corkscrews give you a good "whip" into the inversion even though it gives me a headache. Which SLC can do that?

~ Jess "I get airsick, seasick and I guess coastersick?" Chan