Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Pg 667: Six Flags is planning to operate Darien Lake again
Users viewing this topic: Haymaker and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby rjr19 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Another very interesting thing I forgot to mention...remember Strike-U-Up from last year? It appears to have been sent to Fantasy Island! I went there with the family last week, and sure enough, near Mind Warp and Silver Comet, there it was!
Darien Lake is my home park... :?r

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dnn2031 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 am

Haymaker wrote:The group asking about lights on the Giant Wheel warms the cockles of my heart... the coaster paint can fade to oblivion, just give me some got dam lights on the wheel! Its great ambience at night while around the campfire

Giant wheel and a number of coasters were supposed to get new lights and paint years ago under PARC funded by CNL. The lights got cost cut pressured to death and the supplier eventually just never delivered at all which is why the lights were all taken down as the new ones were supposed to come Any Day Now. A few hundred thousand for repainting ROS and ME disappeared into the finance black hole that PARC corporate was becoming. Viper at least eventually got a repaint and ME most of the aquamarine track supports redone.

Flats might be more doable than a coaster unless SF actually is in works to buy now that they've secured a lease. Otherwise I don't know how much they're willing to throw down without the property in their name. Really, there's been plenty of flat/water ride installs since Motocoaster. Tantrum was a minimal budget coaster install because the clamor at every flat install was 'yeah, but what about a coaster?' and now people are itching for more flats? :p

A tourbillon to upgrade Twister (which has had age issues with its water tanks/bladders) might make sense. That or replacing one of the other oldies like Silver Bullet, Haymaker, or Lasso whose hydraulics have been nearing UFO levels of troublesome. Grizz, Big K, and Hooks are also pretty terminal. I don't know how much lifespan Rolling Thunder has for that matter. It's something of an engineering design turd and has had cracking issues year after year (including at present). Or they could dust off the idea of RMCing Pred which was surveyed a few years back but CNL wasn't in a mood to drop capital cash with the place for sale.

That said word is to expect price hikes and much more security requirements next year.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby rjr19 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 am

You may also want to add Pirate and Corn Popper to the list of troublesome DL flats. Corn Popper sees a decent amount of downtime with the pneumatics each year, and Pirate has been down all year so far for unknown reasons. I think the issue with the flat Ride selection at DL is the fact that every flat Ride here is old and inconsistent. At this point, it would definitely be cheaper in the long run to just replace them, but nobody has wanted to fork up the cash to do so.
Darien Lake is my home park... :?r

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dnn2031 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

Corn popper just got a new compressor this year. Pirate is something with the electrical motor controller they're waiting on.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Sk610 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm

I too would love to see some new flats at the park. I love what Canada's Wonderland did with those flat rides. I am pretty sure that the reason for the Harley Quinn coaster clone is that they only cost $2 million, which is about the cost of a new flat ride, if not less than a flat ride. It would allow them to say they are adding a coaster for drawing crowds and still have money left for other capital expenditures

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby SaraAB87 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 am

The GP thinks of DL as a trash park, its really the only game around here, so yes, it has potential to become absolutely huge. I don't consider Canada's Wonderland to really be an option for those in WNY as its quite far away and you have to drive through Canada to get to it, also its one of the most expensive parks to visit because of Canadian prices that I can personally think of, one of my friends was showing me the season's pass options and a full season's pass to Wonderland with all the options was like $500, and that is a LOT of money. Marineland is a different market altogether and so is Fantasy Island to an extent. It can become a huge destination park just like other parks since they have the resort and camping too. I don't see ticket cost as an issue as well, tickets are already just as expensive as every other park in the nation so its not like this is going to get worse, (as one of my friends said tickets are just as expensive as everywhere else and you get 1/16th the fun of everywhere else) and I think people would be willing to pay a little more if the park was able to function should they go on a day when massive crowds come to the park. They just got a new coaster this year, ride that out and use next year as the transition year to fix the park up, staff the park adequately, and fix everything that is run down such as buildings and structures and just overall work on the guest experience instead of putting in another ride. 2 trains on all coasters when the park is at peak capacity. They need to do what they have to do to make this happen, 2 train operation on coasters, fix the buildings, fix the viper station, fix the run down mini golf or tear it out, and fix the gum wall. The GP absolutely DOES notice 2 train operations. The park should be able to function without 2-3 hour lines on a peak day. Lines should be minimum 45min-1hour on a peak day. Since the WNY park season is so short they need to be able to keep up on peak days since there isn't too much time to spread attendance out over many days.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am

one of my friends was showing me the season's pass options and a full season's pass to Wonderland with all the options was like $500

Unless you are including the ALL SEASON FASTLANE (which is $499 Canadian) I have no clue where you are getting that number from. Even if you bought the pass right now (this late in the season without the free perks / free parking and cheaper prices your would normally get) with all the unlimited meal, drink, parking and FunPix options it would cost $370.42 Canadian ($278 American)

Those other options would cost extra at other parks too above the season pass price. The meal plan at Darien Lake only gives you one meal a day, refills cost $, etc.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:52 am

SaraAB87 wrote:use next year as the transition year to fix the park up, staff the park adequately, and fix everything that is run down such as buildings and structures and just overall work on the guest experience instead of putting in another ride. 2 trains on all coasters when the park is at peak capacity. They need to do what they have to do to make this happen, 2 train operation on coasters, fix the buildings, fix the viper station, fix the run down mini golf or tear it out, and fix the gum wall. The GP absolutely DOES notice 2 train operations. The park should be able to function without 2-3 hour lines on a peak day. Lines should be minimum 45min-1hour on a peak day.

edit: her. Sorry, I assume all enthusiasts are dudes because 99% of the time they are. lol

"Adequate staffing", " Fixing run down buildings", "Fixing Gum Walls", "zero tolerance for one train ops on busy days"??? You know what company bought this place right? :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:21 am.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:58 am

I'm going to Darien Lake later this week for a few hours one morning and am kind of looking forward to it based on the fact that I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Seems like typical reviews range from "awful" to "not as bad as people say" so we'll see, should be interesting. As long as I can get a few rides on ROS and the new Eurofighter I'll be happy, the Arrow and the woodie will hopefully be pleasant surprises, the SLC and maybe the Boomerang depend on how my hangover from the night before feels........so chances are I'm sitting those out ;) .

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:01 am

Darien Lake is a nice little small / mid-market park with an insane fan base that has no grasp of reality which is why there are so many complaints about it. If you go into this park with realistic expectations then you'll have a great time. The Arrow wasn't bad, Ride of Steel is great, Motocoaster is fun, Predator sucks but the Mean Streak trick (front seat, lean forward) works wonders. Iron Shark is fun, I'm sure this is too.

Ride Moose on the Loose.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!