TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

The whole bridge over the spashdown is gone.

Cripes I didnt even notice. Looks like theyre replacing it judging by the new wood in the other spots.

Maybe they can actually have water flowing down the drop next year, too. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking .

Man I love DL ops!

Has anyone here met the one older woman who operates Viper, her name is Vicki? She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Saying hi to everyone, and just overall having a super nice tone when talking to people. Example: I saw a guy with a cup of beer. In that situation, most ride opens just say “you need to finish it” in a demeaning tone. Vicki said “just a heads up that it needs to be empty when it is time to ride, but don’t rush, plenty of time sweetie”. It just makes you feel so much better.

Another thing, I was in the train right after her shift ended. When we pulled out, on the curve by the photo stand at the exit, she is at the gate waving and shouting “have a wonderful ride!”. Her shift was over but she still wanted to ensure everyone’s happiness. That is dedication. We need more ride ops like her in the park because it truly makes the day that much better.

Oops. Looks like they stuck a Tantrum train during preopening due to the cold.

They said yesterday if they loaded the back row itd get stuck on the brakes because of the weather.

Edited by Haymaker

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what time the scare actors come out? My son wants to go to the park one more time next weekend, but he is 8 and that would be a mess. Everything they show on the website shows family friendly day and scary night.

Would we be OK if we went Saturday or Sunday from open-2? He just hit 48 inches and is super excited to ride his first "big" rollercoaster, but he would never make it if there are ghouls scaring people everywhere.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what time the scare actors come out? My son wants to go to the park one more time next weekend, but he is 8 and that would be a mess. Everything they show on the website shows family friendly day and scary night.

Would we be OK if we went Saturday or Sunday from open-2? He just hit 48 inches and is super excited to ride his first "big" rollercoaster, but he would never make it if there are ghouls scaring people everywhere.

On the Darien Lake website, they say "more details coming soon!" still, but if you look at the main page, with the occasional switching screen, you'll click on one fright fest thing and it sends you to the Six Flags extension of the DL website and has all the info there:

https://www.sixflags.com/darienlake/special-events/fright-fest-night

They said yesterday if they loaded the back row itd get stuck on the brakes because of the weather.

This was on the track so didn't make an inversion somewhere. Ride was closed for the day and they had an extendable forklift lifting it off in the afternoon.

^ not to mention a roller coaster valley is fairly common when it’s colder out. And it’s not just the little guys that have to be careful. It happened a whole bunch at Cedar Point a few years ago with Millennium, Maverick and Gatekeeper all fairly close to one another. They just remove the train, place it on the transfer, do some testing and try again.

One thing you're going to have to learn (and it's actually a good thing) is that it's a Six Flags park now so they're going to try to open every ride every day regardless of how absurdly cold and windy it is. Sometimes they'll fail, but at least they'll try. It looks like it was in the 30's when they sent that train which alone probably would have been fine, but the wind gusts were insane.

I bash Six Flags quite a bit, but their commitment to getting their rides up and running regardless of weather conditions is commendable.

SFNE's Goliath, SFStl's Boss, and SFFT's Superman are the only rides I can think of in the chain that need to be at 50 degrees or higher to run. And that includes the water rides. It was in the low 40s two weeks ago, but SFNE opened Blizzard River.

I really wonder if they're going to keep that policy with Superman. Part of me thinks they just don't have harder wheels for it since every other floorless coaster seems to be able to run in the cold but now that the park is open year-round I feel like they probably have a plan for that.

And while you're right about Goliath not being able to run in the winter it can't run in the spring, summer of fall either.

I really wonder if they're going to keep that policy with Superman. Part of me thinks they just don't have harder wheels for it since every other floorless coaster seems to be able to run in the cold but now that the park is open year-round I feel like they probably have a plan for that.

And while you're right about Goliath not being able to run in the winter it can't run in the spring, summer of fall either.

I'd say Goliath is the least reliable coaster in the chain, but Alpine Bobsled may have it beaten.

Honestly at Fiesta Texas, I'd be more worried about Poltergeist valleying in cold temperatures. I still can't believe the highest point occurs midway through the ride on those Premier spaghetti bowls.

A little information to add to the speculation as to where the Sky Screamer will go next season.

When I was at the park a few weekends ago an employee told me the Sky Screamer will be replacing Twister and that Twister is effectively on a trailer like a carnival ride so removing it will take almost no effort.

I don't know the validity of this but figured I'd at least add in what I heard.

Hey guys, Im thinking of going to Darien Lake this weekend (sunday) and I was curious do SF membership passes work now? IK they didnt during the summer but their site says they are accepted (though IDK if its the rest of this season or if its eluding to next season). I just want make sure before I drive 4 hours

A little information to add to the speculation as to where the Sky Screamer will go next season.

When I was at the park a few weekends ago an employee told me the Sky Screamer will be replacing Twister and that Twister is effectively on a trailer like a carnival ride so removing it will take almost no effort.

I don't know the validity of this but figured I'd at least add in what I heard.

I heard Twister is out as well. I wonder if theyd have to re-work the area due to the swing radius though. Probably cant have anything directly underneath them, like the General Store.

I wish that they could have at least announced its removal and whe. it would close for the final time so that we could get one last ride on it, or open it for this last weekend of the season. Kinda dumb that the don’t let people give it a final goodbye since it is never open.

I wish that they could have at least announced its removal and whe. it would close for the final time so that we could get one last ride on it, or open it for this last weekend of the season. Kinda dumb that the don’t let people give it a final goodbye since it is never open.

Personally I can completely understand them getting rid of it without any fanfare, it's barely been open lately and to put money into something you're just going to take out is kind of silly, isn't it?

I think it's makes even less sense to open it as it's not really a unique ride to Darien Lake alone.

I get people potentially wanting last rides, but I also understand just removing a ride that isn't unique with low ridership/isn't working properly anyway.

Twister is definitely not a permanent park model at all. I have no problem with them putting the new new Sky Screamer in that spot is that it's an awkward spot in the park towards the back. In my mind something like that should either be toward the road or toward the center of the park.

On the flip side, that placement could foreshadow next years expansion area where the go karts currently sit.

Also prepare yourselves for another year of whining about RoS only having one train and probably ME until they spring for two updated ones on it as well.

So are you saying that its in 2020 plans or still unknown?

Giant Wheel lights?