TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

On the cheap looking passes. I looked into it a little more and I think I found the reason why. Six Flags is going to do fingerprint scans next year, and the card won’t be necessary. The card is basically just for this year until they get the fingerprint scanners.

You still need a card to go with the biometric scan, it just replaces having a photo. You cannot enter with a fingerprint alone at Six Flags. I haven't seen the Darien Lake ones yet but I'm guessing it's the same thing as the regular six flags season passes. Essentially a huge barcode, a generic six flags logo, and a number underneath the barcode.

Also: https://www.sixflags.com/national/biometric-data-tos

Thanks for the clarification. I’m unfamiliar with the way Six Flags does their passes. I guess SF just didn’t want to splurge on nice cards like the typical DL ones. But yes, they are just as you described: generic logo, big barcode. I guess it doesn’t really matter as it saves money for more important needs.

FC1544BE-3EC3-4D42-9BA7-50EFC232BF7A.thumb.jpeg.8739a4a6a60c3378c137a0f165863c3b.jpeg

Here’s how it looks. (Sorry about the bad quality)

Nothing genaric about mine...

Yes, the member cards are actually nice thick cards with a design on them. The season passes are generic.

Also, saw this on the park’s Facebook, figure some people might find it interesting:

C102B617-CD7C-40FF-A40F-A869689CF832.thumb.png.60316c517a1507fa7168555a874b7e21.png

That one prop actually looks better than many of the props at Wonderland. Very cool. Darien Lake has just received over 30 years experience from Fright Fest. When Cedar Fair took over Canada's Wonderland, we received over 40 years experience from Halloween Haunt. Our Halloween events have been awesome ever since and Darien Lake's Halloween events will always be very awesome too now. Congratulations! I am going to Six Flags Darien Lake Fright Fest next year for sure. It still seems very strange just writing that. I just can't wait!

Darien Lake's Halloween events will always be very awesome too now. Congratulations!

Nothing brings the awesome like Six Flags Fright Fest.

Anything is better than the poor excuse for a Fall event the park has had for the past several years. For most Darien Lake visitors, this will be a "very awesome" event. It's not HHN - obviously. But its probably the best local haunt attraction WNY will have. Unless you prefer abandoned stores being converted into haunted houses for a few weeks each year.

^ A fair and valid opinion. I've worked with people who used to design those houses (specifically the Haunted Catacombs) and they do a very nice job depending on which house you go to.

My opinion is that I prefer the atmosphere of an amusement park in the fall, and with Fright Fest bringing operation at Darien Lake through the end of October, plus having new attractions included in the event, I am all for it! Even if it is just a Six Flags Fright Fest.

Long story short, for me anything is better than the Harvest Festival they have been having the past few years. The "magic show" they had last year (or perhaps the year before) was atrocious, and the hay ride around a closed camping loop was not exactly the "fall fun" I was hoping for, certainly not after waiting more than 30 minutes for it - which was probably the longest line in the park when we went.

I agree with that last part. It's a fun atmosphere. I've given up on Six Flags houses though. They're always an upcharge and they're (generally) absolutely awful. Maybe Darien Lake's will be better than a park like Great Adventure where they know an astronomical amount of people will show up regardless of how insultingly terrible their haunt mazes are. I guess at Darien Lake they still need to prove themselves, plus they have very few houses so it should be easier to staff them.

Every haunted house I have went through at an amusement park was TERRIBLE (Six Flags America, Six Flags Great Adventure, Dorney, Kings Dominion, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas). Yes, the themeing was awesome but they were not scary at all. They send way too many people through at once. I have already had the argument that due to the sheer volume of the people they have to. No, they do not. There are lots of haunted attractions in the PA, MD, DE, VA area that send you through with your group - sending a group every few moments. There are many haunts that just stay open until everyone has went through or they close with a disclaimer that you may not make it through every attraction if you do not get there early enough. Some of these haunts get to 3 hours waits too.

Quick simple TR with some photos - mainly because I have the new iPhone and was hoping to try it out at the park - prepare for some nerd shots.

8F3154B7-F5D6-401A-8E74-9D748368A6ED.thumb.jpeg.8ac1d0105512e8bb9f26b41e8f33eb25.jpeg

Camp Scumshine from the Viper queue

11226B4E-F032-4382-B749-020FF5AEB9D4.thumb.jpeg.98638882ee74d5116dbf7e229202d616.jpeg

Different angle, basically the same thing. Beats seeing an overgrown putt putt course

53D9A4E2-DAA8-400B-A7C6-613E9E61439F.thumb.jpeg.45ccd0869f959be2ff5f105a5ff920ad.jpeg

The very nice looking entryway for the new attraction.

97186C68-4DEE-4D80-914A-44B0324A0367.thumb.jpeg.a0d329051083ea8deaea752fc6ae0993.jpeg

The first point where the photo came out REALLY nice, the fright fest chair

09FEB1FE-519C-441C-95FB-F05F7786B417.thumb.jpeg.2a70576e38c56e31ecfc37ae5c9005f8.jpeg

Tantrum lift. Good stuff

D89EFFE2-22F4-498A-8591-00BD7E5CB4A7.thumb.jpeg.4afa78d667cd884d65fdf99145432845.jpeg

Short but sweet. I am a fan

2AE8F383-3D04-4FAD-803A-86EA276C9A22.thumb.jpeg.46d2ac64c947965e460464b0811b5498.jpeg

Jungle Apocalypse entryway. A nice use for the old Galaxy Theatre

FC2CEFC6-2FE7-4DA5-8655-728AF65957BA.thumb.jpeg.59b859bddd4a98f758f2608c29026142.jpeg

I never thought I’d see so much advertising for a new swing ride. This is plastered everywhere. I’m not complaining, I’m more so surprised (but should I be? It is six flags)

0513F2E9-612E-4D42-8136-F49BE89A31F4.thumb.jpeg.0497bd9462b52548b59bfed8042d45f8.jpeg

Nerd shot - the laser lawn

B77A466C-554E-4740-89BA-43FF076FBD13.thumb.jpeg.3438735d4481f3d7b941da05e02fc63a.jpeg

Little guy’s first time on the Ride of Steel, he’s a fan! Also, the camera really played nice with the sun, color me surprised!

2E239BB8-834A-4C39-9ED8-0B4F49CA91F8.thumb.jpeg.ef3ab8268d1e819392267860e986e0cc.jpeg

Beautiful Sunset before the final Ignite the Night Colorblast of the season

25468053-5483-403D-96F4-34DAAB663974.thumb.png.b9c90ca2dc6795365935e1dfdaf90371.png

LASER BEAMS!!!

So even though the park closed at 7 they still did the laser show? Had I known I probably would have went since it's the last weekend before the Fright Fest Halloween show.

The website says there are no laser shows on Friday nights, so does that mean even though the park closes at 5 today, they are still doing a show? That's odd to me.

Thanks for all the photos!

So even though the park closed at 7 they still did the laser show? Had I known I probably would have went since it's the last weekend before the Fright Fest Halloween show.

The website says there are no laser shows on Friday nights, so does that mean even though the park closes at 5 today, they are still doing a show? That's odd to me.

Thanks for all the photos!

Show was at 8 yesterday, no show today.

^ yea, it’s the weirdest thing. They’ve done it for several years now where they close the park at 7, then run the show at 8. I don’t mind waiting an hour - especially for the last show of the season, but I feel like the way it’s set up is confusing. Not to mention nowhere in the park did it say the show was happening. I solely went based off of last year and how it worked then - and I saw workers loading fireworks and what not around 5:30. I have to say it seems like most of the audience were campers. There were maybe 20 cars in the parking lot after the show ended - meaning 90% of the commuting park guests did not know the show was happening.

I mention this because some pages say the laser show only ran through September 3rd, others say the show only ran Saturday’s after that (no time given), and others (very rare) said Saturday’s at 8pm. Hopefully next year it will be more organized with when the show actually happens. Because “Nightly when the park closes at 10pm” is no longer a valid statement

^ yea, it’s the weirdest thing. They’ve done it for several years now where they close the park at 7, then run the show at 8. I don’t mind waiting an hour - especially for the last show of the season, but I feel like the way it’s set up is confusing. Not to mention nowhere in the park did it say the show was happening. I solely went based off of last year and how it worked then - and I saw workers loading fireworks and what not around 5:30. I have to say it seems like most of the audience were campers. There were maybe 20 cars in the parking lot after the show ended - meaning 90% of the commuting park guests did not know the show was happening.

I mention this because some pages say the laser show only ran through September 3rd, others say the show only ran Saturday’s after that (no time given), and others (very rare) said Saturday’s at 8pm. Hopefully next year it will be more organized with when the show actually happens. Because “Nightly when the park closes at 10pm” is no longer a valid statement

Why wouldn’t they just keep the rides open until 8? It’s just plain stupid to close everything down an hour before the show starts.

Cant remember if it was noted here before but I noticed Viper's blue train (intact) under the station.

I would say this means two train ops is likely, but now that one blue car is running on the orange train, it tells me it is serving as parts for this season. Maybe next year though.

Why wouldn’t they just keep the rides open until 8? It’s just plain stupid to close everything down an hour before the show starts.

I imagine makes the shift scheduling for ride ops simpler. 11-7 is 8 hours. Also a number of rides have to finish operation before the laser show so riders aren't getting beamed by it.

AFAIK running 2 trains on Viper was pretty likely. Blue train was just about ready to rock at opening. Guess they didn't hit whatever numbers they wanted to see to actually put both on.

I imagine makes the shift scheduling for ride ops simpler. 11-7 is 8 hours. Also a number of rides have to finish operation before the laser show so riders aren't getting beamed by it.

AFAIK running 2 trains on Viper was pretty likely. Blue train was just about ready to rock at opening. Guess they didn't hit whatever numbers they wanted to see to actually put both on.

Any word on a second train showing up for ROS?