TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Wonderland is not doing a Christmas/Holiday thing this year, so I bet Six Flags will put of doing it at Darien Lake until next year. That will give them time to install wheel heaters . .

If I was Six Flags (and thought the general idea was viable) I would be excited to try it without competition.

That doesn't mean Six Flags wants to attempt this yet, or ever, and it's highly doubtful they would have the time to invest in whatever is required, but no competition is always a good thing - Especially in the short term.

Moving to something else, Six Flags seems to be having a crisis with naming! So far I've seen Six Flags Darien Center, Six Flags Darien Lake, and just plain Darien Lake.

It still just called Darien Lake. The Darien Center was from the hypnotist so I wouldnt read anything into that. The contact email addresses say its going to be SFDL.

Wonderland is not doing a Christmas/Holiday thing this year, so I bet Six Flags will put of doing it at Darien Lake until next year. That will give them time to install wheel heaters . .

For steel coasters, "installing" the wheel heaters probably takes like an hour. The lights and decorations take months in that initial year. They're more of a concern than having time to install wheel heaters

I feel like each new event since Great Adventure has really been a test for potential expansion into additional markets, they're not rushing into this. I'm sure this is a few years away if it happens.

Edited by coasterbill

Good callout. Yeah, it's a 2019 addition. I just mentioned it as a rebuttal to those saying the climate prevented it. If Wonderland right across the lake can do it, Darien Lake can too.

Good callout. Yeah, it's a 2019 addition. I just mentioned it as a rebuttal to those saying the climate prevented it. If Wonderland right across the lake can do it, Darien Lake can too.

The real question was about the coasters - doesn't Wonderland run a holiday event but without the coasters? For me if SFNE wasn't running the coasters the event would have been a one and done sort of thing.....but we went four times....anybody can throw up decorations and hold a holiday event

The holiday event has not started yet at Canadas Wonderland. Actually, we thought it wouldn't be possible here at Wonderland, but it will be a bit toned down from warmer parks. Skating rink, shops, shows, but only a few rides and maybe only the coasters inside our mountain. When you get into the -20's C, I just don't think they would risk cracking anything on a ride.

When you get into the -20's C, I just don't think they would risk cracking anything on a ride.

Friendly reminder that the average high/low temperatures are 37° /25°(f) on December 1st in Darien Center and 32° /20° (f) on closing day. It's about 1 degree colder on average at Wonderland.

It's cold, but you don't live at the north pole. If it were 30 to 40 degrees (again, f) below the average like in your scenario then the park would close that day.

When you get into the -20's C, I just don't think they would risk cracking anything on a ride.

Friendly reminder that the average high/low temperatures are 37° /25°(f) on December 1st in Darien Center and 32° /20° (f) on closing day. It's about 1 degree colder on average at Wonderland.

It's cold, but you don't live at the north pole. If it were 30 to 40 degrees (again, f) below the average like in your scenario then the park would close that day.

I'd be wearing shorts in December if it was only 0 C. Our skating rinks stay open well into the -20's C, and that will be Wonderland's Winterfest. A really big skating rink, a few shops open, a few holiday shows, and a few rides, that's it, no coasters. To stay on topic, I love Darien Lake.

Have a couple friends that still work at the park and they were told the go-karts will not be returning in 2019. Also, the Darien Square section of the park will officially be closed from the park with new entrances/exits for 2019.

What? I don't get the second part.

Have a couple friends that still work at the park and they were told the go-karts will not be returning in 2019. Also, the Darien Square section of the park will officially be closed from the park with new entrances/exits for 2019.

Campground passes/access will be checked I presume

What's going to happen to Motocoaster? You have pass through Darien Square in order to get to the ride's entrance and exit.

What's going to happen to Motocoaster? You have pass through Darien Square in order to get to the ride's entrance and exit.

Open the gate next to the queue

Open the gate next to the queue

Correct, I'd assume they'll re-route the queue fairly easily.

The real question was about the coasters - doesn't Wonderland run a holiday event but without the coasters? For me if SFNE wasn't running the coasters the event would have been a one and done sort of thing.....but we went four times....anybody can throw up decorations and hold a holiday event

Seriously man? You QUOTED my post that said it started in 2019!!! Think before you post. Sheesh.

^Can't they just relocate Motocoaster to another part of the park?

If you look at how the coaster was installed, it looks to be incredibly temporary. It’s installed on top of wooden slabs. Maybe a relocation of the coaster to where the go-karts are? Who knows at this point.

So since it seems all but official that the park will go back to being SFDL neat season, my guess is that they will get something good for the roll out. Here are my guesses.

1. Batman stunt show back in the old theater building behind viper.

2. S&S 4D free spin themed to Batman either behind the current go kart track or remove the go karts and place there.

3. Re-name of Twister to Harley Quinn Spinsanity

4. Some type of theme to the antique cars like Penguin's getaway cars or something.

5. I'm not sure if they could somehow include the bumper cars or Pirate in this, but if they could, that would be cool too.

This will create a true Gotham City section of the park and still create a space that just about every SF park has, and theming that just about every SF park has as well.

I would like to point out my ideas once again now that it sounds like the go karts may be removed...

^ They could put in a Wild Mouse in the old building next to Viper and make it The Dark Knight.

That would be kind of ironic since that thing was built originally to house a roller coaster and then a Batman stunt show among other shows before Darien Lake decided to just abandon the building.

Edited by DarienLaker

Does this mean Beaver Brothers Restaurant won’t be available to park guests anymore? That would be disappointing as I go there for food all the time when I’m at the park.

My guess is a Starflyer or even a Zamperla mini Discovery. Most coasters can take 2 years to order and build if they are relatively large, and I doubt that Six Flags would have ordered a coaster for Darien not only the year following a coaster addition, but until for certain they were sure they would get the management contract.