TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

With our neighbors up north officially announcing their record breaking dive coaster this morning, I wonder what crowds at our park will be like next year - mainly from the Canadian demographic. It would be fun to see Six Flags eventually try to use Darien to compete with Wonderland but I’m not gonna get my hopes up

With our neighbors up north officially announcing their record breaking dive coaster this morning, I wonder what crowds at our park will be like next year - mainly from the Canadian demographic. It would be fun to see Six Flags eventually try to use Darien to compete with Wonderland but I’m not gonna get my hopes up

We all know what happened last time they tried to compete with Cedar Fair....

(yes I know, different circumstances, its a joke)

I think Darien Lake mainly sees people from Buffalo and Rochester who don't want to cross the border (because its a pain especially in Niagara) or want to deal with Toronto traffic

I think Darien Lake mainly sees people from Buffalo and Rochester who don't want to cross the border (because its a pain especially in Niagara) or want to deal with Toronto traffic

I agree the traffic is an issue but crossing the border isn't much of a problem. I find crossing the Rainbow bridge has less traffic and is much easier to cross at.

Border crossing depends entirely on what time and day you are crossing and if its a holiday on either side, there is also a website you can visit that shows all the border crossing information so you can plan ahead. We use the rainbow bridge and have never been stuck in a line or had a border crossing problem of course we planned ahead and didn't try to cross on a holiday weekend.

Darien Lake sent out a nice email update today that mentions “the biggest announcement and biggest sale of the year” set for August 30th, 2018. They state this is when “Darien Lake is going to announce an incredible, UNBELIEVABLE new attraction for the 2019 season”

I suppose we will have to wait and see how unbelievable it really is - but it is nice to know that at least something is happening - and we know of the announcement date a little farther in advance than usual!

6F79E965-DC2E-4E76-8DF7-96417A66647D.thumb.png.18f395f39da22f63a1d9198cea4eb5cb.png

Darien Lake sent out a nice email update today that mentions “the biggest announcement and biggest sale of the year” set for August 30th, 2018. They state this is when “Darien Lake is going to announce an incredible, UNBELIEVABLE new attraction for the 2019 season”

I suppose we will have to wait and see how unbelievable it really is - but it is nice to know that at least something is happening - and we know of the announcement date a little farther in advance than usual!

That's a cut and paste email from every Six Flags park. It does confirm that SF is including DL in their announcements.

I think that they should add something like Buncaneer Beach or Splashwater Island, they did that with Waterworld Concord the year they acquired that park, and we need an upgrade from Hooks, there's no bucket and it's just in disrepair, it'd be a good addition.

I think that they should add something like Buncaneer Beach or Splashwater Island, they did that with Waterworld Concord the year they acquired that park, and we need an upgrade from Hooks, there's no bucket and it's just in disrepair, it'd be a good addition.

Last time I was in Splashtown, I was amazed by how terrible Hooks looks now. I was told rust was flaming off the bucket and onto guests, so it was removed. As for everything that doesn’t work, it just seems like they don’t care anymore since it’s on it’s last legs anyway.

Though - again - probably similar to other Six Flags parks - it’s worth noting that they do explicitly say that the new attraction will be a Ride. So there isn’t going to be some parade or restaurant added solely so that Six Flags can continue to say “something new for every park” and not specify “not all new things are rides” - which is very clever I do have to admit. Anyway, still going to be interesting to see what they announce in the next couple weeks!

DE3ACD22-A70C-45FF-A4B3-3AA8F6FE5272.thumb.jpeg.42a5d447a860c8eff3f94eb79807208b.jpeg

Would love a Huss giant frisbee or S&S Screamin' Swing for this park.

A giant frisbee would be a great addition to the park and SF has been buying them lately, so I would think it's definitely a possibility. DL already has a superloop, so SF can't stick them with another one of those!

I’m just trying to find out how UNBELIEVABLE the return of “Superman: Ride of Steel” is gonna be. That’s all I can think of with how they word it. Refreshed RoS - counting as a new thing - call it a day. Probably (hopefully) not the new thing but still

I’m just trying to find out how UNBELIEVABLE the return of “Superman: Ride of Steel” is gonna be. That’s all I can think of with how they word it. Refreshed RoS - counting as a new thing - call it a day. Probably (hopefully) not the new thing but still

It says new ride. If it were a refresh I doubt theyd word it that way.

Best bet for the park is they are getting a flat like a Skywarp, Skyscreamer, etc.. Hopefully SF also gets all the coasters up to 2 train ops with the repairs or whatever needs to be done. Throw in possibly the start of some DC theming changes.

Best bet for the park is they are getting a flat like a Skywarp, Skyscreamer, etc.. Hopefully SF also gets all the coasters up to 2 train ops with the repairs or whatever needs to be done. Throw in possibly the start of some DC theming changes.

In my opinion, a new ride is going to be great for the park, but I am hoping that the money forked over for a new ride won’t neglect the much needed park improvements, especially in Ride operations and maintenance. RoS and Viper desperately need second trains running ASAP and some rides need an overhaul pretty badly.

I think SF won’t be ok with their park looking like crap and having rides not running correctly or not at their intended capacity. It would look really bad on sF’s part if those issues are addressed, before new rides are thrown in.

^ though of course I am an advocate for two train operations, I don’t think I’d say that Viper is desperate by any means. Most times, Viper has less than one train wait at any given time. Sure concerts and busy (by DL standards) weekends may change that but for the majority of the season the ride is walk on all the time. I think so far this season the longest I’ve waited was maybe 3 trains for the front row (I’m a sucker for all that leg room). Sure there’s times where a second train would be nice - but I don’t think it’s do-or-die for that coaster in particular.

Ride of steel certainly does need a second train as it is the star attraction for the park, and it’s wait time is comparitavely lengthy compared to other rides there, and I think I’d also say MotoCoaster could use its second train because that line is always at least down the ramp. I do think it’s helpful and more efficient that they only allow one train worth of people in at a time (I really would love to see that for the other rides in the park too. It’s much less congested and easier to pair up with groups of people)

All in all if they had to prioritize I’d think the order from most to least needed would be:

1. Ride of Steel

2. MotoCoaster

3. Viper

4. Predator

5. Mind Eraser

6. Tantrum (N/A)

7. Boomerang (N/A)

8. Hoot-N-Holler (N/A)

Totally just my opinion