Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: john10693 and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Haymaker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:03 am

saweetdude05 wrote:
DarienPoint wrote:On Screamscape, it shows that Six Flags has a test website that is Darien Lake's, even though it does has bugs (ex : it shows Great Escape's logo), I think we can guess that it'll be flagged next year, as various times around the website they'll refer to the park as "Six Flags Darien Lake," and it looks like they're cracking down on getting this website up and running, as all of the rides have their corresponding photos and descriptions, the park map is up, etc, though sometimes it'll show you stuff like St. Louis' operating calendar.

https://www.sixflags.com/darienlake/attractions/ride-height-restrictions

Since SF is only operating the park and doesn't fully own it, I'm wondering if they will do what they used to do with SFDK before they purchased it (Marine World, A Six Flags Theme Park)? IMO it doesn't make sense to fully brand DL if they don't own it.

Whether it makes sense or not, its happening.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Mike.korz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 am

Haymaker wrote:
saweetdude05 wrote:
DarienPoint wrote:On Screamscape, it shows that Six Flags has a test website that is Darien Lake's, even though it does has bugs (ex : it shows Great Escape's logo), I think we can guess that it'll be flagged next year, as various times around the website they'll refer to the park as "Six Flags Darien Lake," and it looks like they're cracking down on getting this website up and running, as all of the rides have their corresponding photos and descriptions, the park map is up, etc, though sometimes it'll show you stuff like St. Louis' operating calendar.

Since SF is only operating the park and doesn't fully own it, I'm wondering if they will do what they used to do with SFDK before they purchased it (Marine World, A Six Flags Theme Park)? IMO it doesn't make sense to fully brand DL if they don't own it.

Whether it makes sense or not, its happening.

Oooohhh Ride of Steel is still Ride of Steel. Maybe they don't think it's so Super anymore that happens with 2 trains not 1

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby DarienPoint » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

saweetdude05 wrote:

It's what they did with Waterworld Concord, it turned into Hurricane Harbor.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby jconsolmagno » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am

I was at the park Sunday - Thursday staying at the hotel on property. There's a ton of Six Flags signage, which I'm assuming is new.

Wanted to get a picture but never got around to it.

The signs are located next to the Admin Buildings when you are leaving the hotel. One of them says WELCOME SIX FLAGS PARK PRESIDENT and there are a handful more that you can't quite read from the stop sign at the exit.

Also - during the show with the magician, they are referring to it as Six Flags Darien Lake already. Could be slip up since he isn't a park employee, but also could be careless.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Sk610 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm

I don't think if they own the park or not will stop SF from branding DL next year. I am pretty sure SF technically does not own SFoG but only manages it and as part of their management contract they have to invest so much into the park every xx numbers of years. I could easily see something like that at DL in the contract

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Lotologist492 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Sk610 wrote:I don't think if they own the park or not will stop SF from branding DL next year. I am pretty sure SF technically does not own SFoG but only manages it and as part of their management contract they have to invest so much into the park every xx numbers of years. I could easily see something like that at DL in the contract

Six Flags Corporation fully 'owns' only one park in the chain - St Louis. Every other park is owned by partnerships, LLC's, investors, and other companies. SF purchased the lease of DL as well as the naming rights, giving SF the ability to modify and market all properties under their control as the deem fit.

While I have my doubts SF will be 'flagging' Frontier City, they will most certainly be re-branding DL back to a Six Flags park.

As for Ride of Steel, I would not be surprised to see SF give this one a Bizarro makeover (or some other twist), rather than simply slapping 'Superman' on the building again. And hopefully this means a full makeover including restoration of a 2-train ops.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SbSteveZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 pm

^ totally kill two birds with one stone there. New name, new paint and a surprise third bird with new trains. I feel like that would be the best option for that ride with what people have been asking of it for the past at least 5 years
Last Coaster: Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point
100TH COASTER: Steel Force @ Dorney Park
RIDE ON!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 am

My only hope, and I think it will be inevitable now that DL is under Six Flags from a marketing standpoint, is that they don't start slapping superhero and villain names all over the park. Ride of Steel I can understand since it was once called Superman but for some reason I can see something like Mind Eraser getting new trains and new paint and become Riddler's Revenge like they did at New England, Motocoaster becoming Gotham City Pursuit or Grizzly Run becoming Penguin's Blizzard River.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Haymaker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:49 am

Geauga Dog wrote:My only hope, and I think it will be inevitable now that DL is under Six Flags from a marketing standpoint, is that they don't start slapping superhero and villain names all over the park. Ride of Steel I can understand since it was once called Superman but for some reason I can see something like Mind Eraser getting new trains and new paint and become Riddler's Revenge like they did at New England, Motocoaster becoming Gotham City Pursuit or Grizzly Run becoming Penguin's Blizzard River.

Im not too sure about that, they all had their current names last time SF owned it, except Motocoaster obviously. Only ROS and the kiddie area were themed.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby xtylerx » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:37 am

Lotologist492 wrote:
As for Ride of Steel, I would not be surprised to see SF give this one a Bizarro makeover (or some other twist), rather than simply slapping 'Superman' on the building again. And hopefully this means a full makeover including restoration of a 2-train ops.

Making RoS Bizzaro is actually a great idea.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!