TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Just got this in the mail today...

Here the front of the train looks pretty much orange, but if you zoom in, it has a honeycomb pattern to it. I still prefer the Cheetos train myself.

Thats because its not the actual train.

^^

Thats because its not the actual train.

Yeahhhh...I get that it's just a crappy photo-shopped job of another Eurofighter. The part that the coaster isn't completely built and hasn't ran a train yet kind of clued me in on that.

Still....Cheetos train for the win!

they only got back up to 1.5 million people in 2017.

Source????? Maybe with the free ticket promotion for concert ticket holders it inflated their numbers... but I find this **REALLY** hard to believe that they had anything even that close to 1999 numbers.

Wikipedia, actually, and I was also (pleasantly) surprised myself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_Lake

I mean, there's not necessarily a guarantee that it's correct, but the site as a whole does have an accuracy greater than Encyclopedia Britannica.

I have a very hard time believing they had 1.5 million people in the park last year. The times I went it was not that busy. Doesn't amusement today publish attendance reports?

On the other topic, I am very happy to see construction start to go vertical on Tantrum. I am interested to see what they do with the rest of the old Thunder Rapids site. That may tell a lot about the money the park has as well as if they leave a spot for a future attraction.

I have a very hard time believing they had 1.5 million people in the park last year. The times I went it was not that busy. Doesn't amusement today publish attendance reports?

On the other topic, I am very happy to see construction start to go vertical on Tantrum. I am interested to see what they do with the rest of the old Thunder Rapids site. That may tell a lot about the money the park has as well as if they leave a spot for a future attraction.

I remember that 1.5 million number was on Wikipedia last year before I took my first trip to Darien Lake in August 2017. Not saying it's wrong, but it's the same.

Kinda bummed they got rid of the themed sections on the map, Premier Parks really doesn't like theming, but at least thrilling rides and slides have been arriving to the park, which is great. But I'd really like a good ride with a theme, like a dark ride, it could take up the old Cuda Falls area.

There are only three places in Darien Lake that were kind of themed, the Hook's Lagoon area of the water park, Beaver Brothers Bay which was originally themed around Popeye, then the Looney Tunes, and Rowdy's Ridge. Also when Six Flags owned Darien Lake the area where Ride of Steel was had Superman.

I think that Premier Parks realized that the people don't want themed areas, they want thrilling rides. At least Darien Lake tried theming area under the operations of Six Flags and Herschend.

P.S. the area next to Tantrum where a certain water slide complex was would a great area for future water park or dry park expansion.

Tantrum's real trains. Why the heck would they choose lava?

To me it looks like someone rattle canned these trains in their backyard, BUT I’m not trashing it, it’s just different. I’m just happy DL is actually getting something new. This is one of those parks that I’ve never visited, but always hangs around in the back of my mind from some YouTube footage of Superman from earlier in the 2000s that I watched when I first got into coasters and theme parks. I almost have this weird quasi-nostaliga associated with it, so it’s cool to see DL getting some love this year.

There are only three places in Darien Lake that were kind of themed, the Hook's Lagoon area of the water park, Beaver Brothers Bay which was originally themed around Popeye, then the Looney Tunes, and Rowdy's Ridge. Also when Six Flags owned Darien Lake the area where Ride of Steel was had Superman.

I think that Premier Parks realized that the people don't want themed areas, they want thrilling rides. At least Darien Lake tried theming area under the operations of Six Flags and Herschend.

P.S. the area next to Tantrum where a certain water slide complex was would a great area for future water park or dry park expansion.

Yea, I feel like they'll upgrade their water park next year with that area, but a large flat ride or compact coaster (not in 2019, highly doubt that) there would be awesome.

Obviously, theming won’t make or break a park. Look at Cedar Point, the park with hardly any theming (except Frontier Town), and they are one of the best parks in the world.

Not only that, at DL, there wasn’t actually any themed areas, it was just kinda labeled like that on the map, so the experience at the park won’t actually be any different, just the map will be more basic.

So DL has a wooden coaster, a decent hyper, a family launch, kiddies coaster, an slc (which honestly needs to be repainted & revamped or removed), a boomerang, an arrow, and now a eurofighter. Wondering what they'd need next coaster wise...

I’m still hoping for a launched thrilling coaster. A good fit would be something like Kanonen.

If only DL bought it when Liseberg put it up for sale. Rip.

It'd be cool to see a new Vekoma come to the US, a Vekoma Firestorm would be amazing for the park. But I feel like Vekoma is mostly turning towards Europe-Asia parks (*cough* Energylandia).