TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Darien Lake has just announced two new shows for 2018. A hypnotist show as well as the return of a magic show. This makes me wonder if they’re going to have one located in the SBNO GALAXY theatre or if they’ll have them both in the Grande Threatre at different times - which is possible. I will miss American Pop / American Rock, but it is nice to see them investing in their live entertainment options. Plus, you know, a new coaster. 2018 is looking to be a pretty great year for Darien Lake!

https://darienlake.com/in-park-entertainment

• 2 weeks later...

What I don’t understand is why DL doesn’t be like most parks that are getting new coasters and actually mention/ post construction pictures of the new coaster. There has been nothing even mentioned about Tantrum in months. It doesn’t make any sense. The last mention of Tantrum on DL’s Instagram was that crappy animation they posted back in November.

My initial guess on why we have not heard anything on construction is that it really has not started yet. I bet the fall was spent removing TR and tearing up the concrete under it so they have a clean canvas to build on.

If they have had vertical construction, I would hope they post almost anything

My initial guess on why we have not heard anything on construction is that it really has not started yet. I bet the fall was spent removing TR and tearing up the concrete under it so they have a clean canvas to build on.

If they have had vertical construction, I would hope they post almost anything

This has been my thought also.

I also would imagine that they won't post any destruction pics of TR based on how much everyone seemed to freak out regarding it's removal.

I still can’t quite grasp why so many people are so mad about TR’s removal. It wasn’t even that good of a log flume. From my experiences of riding it, you barely even got wet in it, I go to DL many times each year, and I really haven’t ever been super excited about riding TR, in fact, I only rode it once this year, all the complaining just hasn’t made sense to me!

I still can’t quite grasp why so many people are so mad about TR’s removal. It wasn’t even that good of a log flume. From my experiences of riding it, you barely even got wet in it, I go to DL many times each year, and I really haven’t ever been super excited about riding TR, in fact, I only rode it once this year, all the complaining just hasn’t made sense to me!

It was one of my kids favorite rides

It is because the general “western New York” area only had one log flume. It doesn’t matter how crappy of a ride you may have thought it was. It was the only way to experience such a ride around here.

I have no real thoughts regarding it either way. I like flumes but have no real attachment to TR.

I just think most people hate change and are looking for excuses to complain.

I can't share it on here, but if you check the Darien Lake facebook page (and I'd assume eventually Twitter and Instagram as well), they have a short time lapse video of the early stages of Tantrum's construction progress. By the looks of it they have a handful of footers ready to go but there hasn't been any vertical construction as of when the video was created. It is nice to see that there is a time lapse being taken though!

Wohoo, look at that dirt move.

Any progress working on it is good, but I honestly don't think it's going to take all that long to put the coaster together once they actually start building it, it's not like it's a hyper coaster or anything.

(Disclaimer: I say all this with no working knowledge of how difficult it is to put together a real roller coaster)

I definitely get the nostalgia factor as I have nostalgia for many things, but there is a lifespan to any ride and anything for that matter, and well, both of the flumes that have recently been removed from the area were very very old and were probably way past their lifespan. You would have thought it was the end of the world when Fantasy island removed its flume. Its not always possible or cost effective to refurbish an old ride when you can spend the money on a new ride that would draw crowds. I don't know why people don't want new rides, you can't just randomly build a coaster, you have to put it somewhere so there is a tradeoff but I think trading an outdated flume for a new coaster is a pretty good tradeoff. Even if you were a season pass holder and a really dedicated park goer... wouldn't you want new rides? New rides also increase attendance and show the willingness to spend on the park.

Sara, I think we all agree that new rides are what everyone wants. My only gripe with removing TR is that the park did not have to remove TR in order to put Tantrum in. The park has a decent amount of unused land for ride expansion without removing anything. This includes coaster expansion as well as flat ride expansion.

Now if TR was no longer operational or the repairs too costly, that is a very different story. I would like to see the park add to their overall ride collection as opposed to just swapping one ride for another.