TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Now, I'm just plain happy that Darien Lake getting a new coaster even if it's a modified clone of another roller coaster. I'll miss Thunder Rapids, Shipwreck Falls is a better flume ride than little old Thunder Rapids.

I just hope that Darien Lake puts Tantrum in where 'Cuda Falls was, but that's just my speculation. If they do put it there maybe they can use the old Barracuda Bay entrance house for Tantrum's que line.

Worst Idea ever, why take out the log found if they were just going to place it on the old Cuda Falls site? It also would be a nightmare to build compared to a flat piece of land where TR was. This is why most can't take this thread seriously.

That's a picture of Iron Shark. They messed with the color filters, used the pen tool on it for about 5 minutes, used the rubber stamp on the eyes and changed the opacity. The restraints will probably be the same since it's an Iron Shark clone, but don't look at that picture of Iron Shark as if it's a rendering. It's not. It's a picture of Iron Shark.

New

dsc_0179_colorized-602x602.png

Original

iron-shark-4.jpg.531b8e214599ba229593c9958b1d7f34.jpg

I have used Photoshop but do not consider myself an expert by any means. However I do have to say that the work where the teeth were in the lower left leaves a little to be desired...

And after looking at the picture and reading Bill's description of what was done, I have no doubt that was exactly what was done. Not exactly professional quality imaging there!

As a former graphic designer I'm always hesitant to bash graphic designers for things like that since I'm always under the impression that they had an absurdly short turnaround time and a pain in the a** boss that expected everything to be done in 2 minutes.

"People found out about our new coaster because some local papers have been going through the site plan reviews because there's literally nothing better to do up here this time of year! We need to throw together a quick slider image for the website ASAP! How soon can we have it? We need it now!"

is a more realistic scenario than

"Hey, so we know we'll be announcing a new coaster in a few months. Let's be proactive and start working on some awesome marketing materials now so we'll be ready when the time comes and we can spend a lot of time making sure they're really on point."

... I actually cracked myself up laughing even reading through that second scenario. That's how unrealistic it is.

As a former graphic designer I'm always hesitant to bash graphic designers for things like that since I'm always under the impression that they had an absurdly short turnaround time and a pain in the a** boss that expected everything to be done in 2 minutes.

"People found out about our new coaster because some local papers have been going through the site plan reviews because there's literally nothing better to do up here this time of year! We need to throw together a quick slider image for the website ASAP! How soon can we have it? We need it now!"

is a more realistic scenario than

"Hey, so we know we'll be announcing a new coaster in a few months. Let's be proactive and start working on some awesome marketing materials now so we'll be ready when the time comes and we can spend a lot of time making sure they're really on point."

... I actually cracked myself up laughing even reading through that second scenario. That's how unrealistic it is.

Had a friend who worked in marketing for Dorney till this past summer. Two summers ago when they announced the Dodgems and Trioka the marketing team found out the morning of the announcement.

So your first option sounds about right with a little "how can we do this as cheaply as possible" sprinkled on top.

Bill, I went back to school about 10 years ago to fulfill my "dream" of being a graphic designer. In my Photoshop and Illustrator classes, they made it seem like you would submit your work, the client would then critique it and pick it apart to the point of inducing nausea, then it would be thrown back at you with what is needed, and you'd have all of 24 hours to make it so. For some reason, that intense turnaround schedule sort of scared me off as I consider myself a perfectionist when it comes to any Photoshop work, so that's why I now toil in obscurity at an IT job.

I doubt most people even notice stuff like this. They'll see the picture, say "oooh look, new rolly coaster!" and never once will question why the ride they are on is a completely different color than what they originally saw!

Back on topic, I haven't been to Darien since 2011. This makes two new coaster credits for me to get there...

... maybe they can use the old Barracuda Bay entrance house for Tantrum's que line.

I heard they will be renovating it and turning it into a building where they host birthday parties... luckily I can see into the future after you hear the news...

02a447e6e5f3368764c345f0f7065113.jpg

I hope I get an invite so I can try out Tantrum.

Then when you're ready for marriage, you could get engagement photos in the field with the Batman track.

654539b388952b4afdddc1f57bcbb704.jpg

Alright I'm done.

But in all seriousness, I hope this new ride brings some attendance to the park so we can get a lot more improvements. And hopefully no more lawsuits. It's a shame I still have no interest in going with a $60 season pass and living 20 min away.

I still have no idea how they sell 2-3 day packages with their hotel and camping when you can literally get through EVERYTHING in a few hours. But I guess people do it.

Yes the water park gets busy, and that is a whole day in itself, hence the two day packages.

My guess will be that they try their best to get two train operations without ordering entirely new trains. I would think ROS, viper, predator and MotoCoaster should be able to achieve that. ME I think will be a different story

Yes the water park gets busy, and that is a whole day in itself, hence the two day packages.

My guess will be that they try their best to get two train operations without ordering entirely new trains. I would think ROS, viper, predator and MotoCoaster should be able to achieve that. ME I think will be a different story

Id be happy just to see moto coaster go a day without breaking down, given its current rate of failure.

• 2 weeks later...

That animation's gonna party like it's 1999.

I know they're on a budget, but why even bother? Showing videos of Iron Shark and Hydrus and adding filters (like their last video) honestly looks much better. In the end though, I guess who cares?

Edited by coasterbill