TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

So im at WDW this week, and looking around the park i have to laugh at the things people complain about in this thread. Talking like its just something wrong with Darien Lake when its actually normal.

...what?

People in this thread complain about park cleanliness, ride painting and maintenance breakdowns, and I havent seen anything at DL (in regards to that) that I havent seen at WDW. Two rides broke down today at Epcot while I was on it or in line. If that happened at DL the park is on it way to closing down if you ask the people in this thread.

So im at WDW this week, and looking around the park i have to laugh at the things people complain about in this thread. Talking like its just something wrong with Darien Lake when its actually normal.

...what?

People in this thread complain about park cleanliness, ride painting and maintenance breakdowns, and I havent seen anything at DL (in regards to that) that I havent seen at WDW. Two rides broke down today at Epcot while I was on it or in line. If that happened at DL the park is on it way to closing down if you ask the people in this thread.

You have to keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between Darien Lake and Walt Disney World.

...what?

You have to keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between Darien Lake and Walt Disney World.

You dont say? My point is, "problems" at DL also are "problems" in a major theme park run by a major corporation.

...what?

You dont say? My point is, "problems" at DL also are "problems" in a major theme park run by a major corporation.

You're listing problems that are present at every park known to man. No park is perfect, people. You heard me.

...what?

You're listing problems that are present at every park known to man. No park is perfect, people. You heard me.

This is the best conversation that I've seen on this thread in a very long time. People can be straight up wimps about the smallest details. Also, I've been to Dinseyworld (the Florida resort for anyone living under a rock) several times so far and noticed the same thing. Darien Lake is really not that bad. If you want to see a real poor quality experience, go to Sylvan Beach nearby. There's a reason Sylvan Beach does not have a thread on TPR

...what?

That was my point. You and I get it. Others on this thread do not.

...what?

This is the best conversation that I've seen on this thread in a very long time. People can be straight up wimps about the smallest details. Also, I've been to Dinseyworld (the Florida resort for anyone living under a rock) several times so far and noticed the same thing. Darien Lake is really not that bad. If you want to see a real poor quality experience, go to Sylvan Beach nearby. There's a reason Sylvan Beach does not have a thread on TPR

Thank you for getting it as well.

Personally, I like DL a lot. Took my BF there for the first time last summer and he thought it was a fun park - he is also not quite enthusiast level as me. Everything was running when we were there and nothing went down. The water park was awesome and the park over all was really clean. I live way too far away (about 5 hours) to go all the time but the couple times I have been were great. My comparison was more to be funny. Every park has problems - we are working with machines that break. However, its how you handle the problems you have that differentiates parks. That was my point. Disney does an amazing job when things happen. This is why people "forgive" their issues more.

I have all of the same problems with my home park - Six Flags America. People rip it apart but I love it and stand behind it. I was a hater of SFA - to the point where I have been banned from 'liking' their page on FB. Its the only SF page I can not like. I do not bring this up because I am proud of it. I am trying to say how my view point has changed over the years.

...what?

Not every park in the country/world has a page on this site. Let's keep that in mind. I could list A LOT that do not have a page.

...what?

This is what I am trying to say, complaining about things that do not affect your enjoyment is pointless (gum wall, viper station falling apart, weeds growing through sidewalk, dormant rides not being set up, rides that are SBNO etc..) those types of things, is pointless, they do not directly contribute to enjoyment at the park. Would it be nice if the park was a bit cleaner, yes, would it be nice if they removed rides that aren't being used, yes, but that is not something that directly affects my enjoyment of the park, and I haven't seen a horridly dirty park to the point where it affects my enjoyment of the place ever in my life. For it to be that bad where its worth complaining about I would have to be stepping in trash or smelling it every step of the way and I have not encountered that ever at a park. I have encountered dirty cafeteria's and eateries to the point where they were not usable and very smelly trash cans that were unavoidable at other public places that do not include theme parks that I will not mention here. Unless the dirtiness is to that point then its not worth complaining about. Now I can understand some complaints but honestly, the same thing happens at every park, rides break down, people litter, people leave food everywhere, other guests are rude just about everywhere not only parks. Lets just say theme parks are hit or miss, go to a park on a day when its crowded and lines are over an hour for everything its not going to be the same as someone who goes on a weekday and gets to ride things multiple times. Time your visits if you can to avoid potential disaster is the only thing I can say if you don't want to deal with lines, while it may not be possible to time your visits for a weekday, know what you are going into before doing it if its not something you want to do then don't go. If you don't want to wait in weekend lines at Darien lake then don't go, its just common sense that lines will be longer on a weekend than on a weekday, you have to expect that, its just the way it goes.

Ill never complain about a breakdown, especially after this WDW trip. Frozen Ever After (Maelstrom) seemed to always be broken/breaking, as did Test Track and Thunder Mountain. Pirates of the Caribbean went down a few times too. Breakdowns happen everywhere, and they are not necessarily indicative of a larger problem.

Ill never complain about a breakdown, especially after this WDW trip. Frozen Ever After (Maelstrom) seemed to always be broken/breaking, as did Test Track and Thunder Mountain. Pirates of the Caribbean went down a few times too. Breakdowns happen everywhere, and they are not necessarily indicative of a larger problem.

Look you forgot space mountain breaking down evertime I go lol

In regards to the discussion of ride maintenance at Darien Lake, I had made my first ever visit to the park on August 30th, 2017 during a Western New York amusement park trip. I had a very good time at the park as it is quite beautifully landscaped and was pleasantly surprised that all the rides except the Haymaker and Thunder Rapids were operating. It was a very good day as I had stayed from shortly after opening until about 9pm as it was getting quite cool.

The only concern I had about the park in regards to their rides is how dark some of the rides were at night, from somewhat of a safety standpoint, those being the Twister, Pirate, and the Giant Wheel. Once the park got dark, there were very little to no lights shining of these rides I had listed, so it made me pass them by once the sun had set. If Darien Lake were to add lights (or replace burnt out bulbs) on these rides, the nighttime atmosphere at the park would have been that much better and enjoyable. Even adding a floodlight to these rides would have been better than nothing.

A part from that, I enjoyed my day at the park and may work in plans to head back sometime next season since it isn't too far from where I live.

Glad to hear an "outsider's" view on the park. We go all the time and tend to overlook a good number of things. The park is nicely landscaped and does have some very good things going for it. I noticed on my visits this year that all of the lights on the pirate were not on at all. Ithe was not like that on my visits last year. The Giant Wheel has been a point of contention for some time. It used to have lights with a great light show. Six Flags took them off and they have not been replaced since.

Glad to hear an "outsider's" view on the park. We go all the time and tend to overlook a good number of things. The park is nicely landscaped and does have some very good things going for it. I noticed on my visits this year that all of the lights on the pirate were not on at all. Ithe was not like that on my visits last year. The Giant Wheel has been a point of contention for some time. It used to have lights with a great light show. Six Flags took them off and they have not been replaced since.

While at the park, I was told by many that Six Flags had removed the lights on the Giant Wheel. One staff member that was operating it during the day called it the 'Ghost Wheel' because of how it looks at night. Even if lights are never put back on the Giant Wheel, maybe the park could shine some multicoloured floodlights up at it since the spokes are painted white, and this would make it more attractive at night.

Another thing that just came to mind when it comes to lights, is that the Scrambler has lights, but they never came on once it got dark during my visit. There were just glow-light strings wrapped around the fence surrounding the Scrambler. Other than a lighting issue on some of the rides, the park was quite beautiful during the day and at night thanks to the rides that do have lights. You may check out my trip to Darien Lake on my blog.