TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

@SbSteveZ

They were working on a kick wheel by the lift shortly after the park opened on that day so yes, there were mechanical issues. I can assure you though that this year ROS will not be running in the rain much, maybe when it's sprinkling but other than that it won't. The train gets wet on the underside which causes it to park too far forward in the station (you can hear it slide when trying to park). This causes the restraints to remain locked despite the operator attempting to open them, closing the ride until maintenance comes and backs up the train to let everyone off. Its just easier to close it than repeat this process for the duration of a storm.

When they don't have enough guests in the park to fill a train, run times become an issue... When you add cold weather and low ridership you make the perfect storm for ROS to valley. I'd rather have it be closed for 4 hours to prevent this than have a 2 week period without ROS because there was one guy who wanted to ride.

Just wanted to let others know that the ROS has operated a few times now. I visited the park this past Saturday, the 13th, and was able to go on the ROS multiple times. In fact, it was open the entire time I was there. Now as for rain, the problem was apparent as it did shut down, temporarily, for about 5-10 minutes due to a light shower that passed by (practically a mist) while other attractions continued operating normally.

Apologies if this has been discussed, but has there been any noticeable differences at the park with the new ownership? I.E. Paint, prices, customer service, or anything else?

Apologies if this has been discussed, but has there been any noticeable differences at the park with the new ownership? I.E. Paint, prices, customer service, or anything else?

The operator, Premier, is still the same. It's unlikely any operational changes will be seen.

Well, that is a very welcomed sight. Hopefully the full rehab last year allows twister to run well for a long time. Also, as silly as this sounds, I wonder if the waterfall still Works? It is one of my favorite things about that area of the park

There's a opening day report for the park on page 580. Hopefully that helps.

ROS was up and running today 5/19.

I can confirm that this is most likely true, as ROS was open all day today without any issues, although I did notice that the train was most certainly riding much rougher than it did last year. Twister was only open for about an hour, and then broke down and didn't reopen. I noticed for the brief time that it was open, that it was making some strange gear-grinding sounds that most certainly did not sound good. Also, I don't know if anybody else has already reported on this or not yet, but Viper's camera has been moved. It is no longer after the corkscrews, but directly before the tunnel. In fact, the camera is mounted on the concrete of the tunnel entrance. Also, I noticed that Silver Bullet was down all day without any ops at it, and Thunder Rapids was closed w/o any water even filled in it yet, it was still bone-dry.

Edited by rjr19

^ when I was there on the 19th, they had people working on the Sulver Bullet and they ran it several times towards the evening and it seemed to be working but they didn't open it at all that night so something must've still been weird with it. I noticed that they weren't able to run the ride while the lights were on, which was peculiar. When the ride was running without its red/blue lights flashing it was able to complete a cycle. When the lights were on, the ride wouldn't move. This perhaps could've just been a way to test it without people seeing it and getting excited that it would be opening, but who knows

That would be a shame to finally get Twister open after what, two years of SBNO only to have it break down just a couple of days after finally getting it operational again.

Hopefully it's not some big mechanical gear driven failure.

^ when I was there on the 19th, they had people working on the Sulver Bullet and they ran it several times towards the evening and it seemed to be working but they didn't open it at all that night so something must've still been weird with it. I noticed that they weren't able to run the ride while the lights were on, which was peculiar. When the ride was running without its red/blue lights flashing it was able to complete a cycle. When the lights were on, the ride wouldn't move. This perhaps could've just been a way to test it without people seeing it and getting excited that it would be opening, but who knows

That actually is something that stood out to me. I believe that Silver Bullet always had blue and white lights, not blue and red. Maybe the issues could be that the ride has new lights for this year.

A Top Spin broke down after they just finished fixing it?!?!?!?! Say it ain't so.

Personally, I would be thrilled if they got rid of it and replaced it with a Screaming Swing or a Giant Frisbee. Although they have been known to have their fair share of mechanical issues at some parks, the rides are a lot more fun (at least, I think they are).

That actually is something that stood out to me. I believe that Silver Bullet always had blue and white lights, not blue and red. Maybe the issues could be that the ride has new lights for this year.

It does seem as though some rides have gotten some new lighting this year. Nothing too crazy though. For example, it looks like the pirate has some new blue LEDs on it. And then there's Rolling Thunder. I don't know what's up with that thing but they went from two segments not working last year to the entire ring not working. The ride is two years old!

It does seem as though some rides have gotten some new lighting this year. Nothing too crazy though. For example, it looks like the pirate has some new blue LEDs on it. And then there's Rolling Thunder. I don't know what's up with that thing but they went from two segments not working last year to the entire ring not working. The ride is two years old!

I noticed the new LEDs on Pirate, but at the time, I couldn't quite remember if they were there last year. Viper also seemed do have gotten some new lighting around the outside of the station, although the old rotten piece of wood holding up that one cover still hasn't been replaced. With Rolling Thunder, it looks like all of the lighting has been fixed this year, all light segments were working correctly.

ROS was up and running today 5/19.

Also, I don't know if anybody else has already reported on this or not yet, but Viper's camera has been moved. It is no longer after the corkscrews, but directly before the tunnel. In fact, the camera is mounted on the concrete of the tunnel entrance.

Yeah, Viper's camera was moved because people were able to interfere with the process. By this, I mean people were intentionally making it "go off" or made it take pictures early or after it took pictures of riders. This was possible by putting an object or their hand in front of the sensor, setting it off, as it was easily accessible. As a result, it meant no pictures for those who just got off the ride or it did not take pictures correctly (if done before).

A Top Spin broke down after they just finished fixing it?!?!?!?! Say it ain't so.

Personally, I would be thrilled if they got rid of it and replaced it with a Screaming Swing or a Giant Frisbee. Although they have been known to have their fair share of mechanical issues at some parks, the rides are a lot more fun (at least, I think they are).

I agree, and out of those two, I'd prefer a Giant Frisbee. With that being said though, Screamin' Swings are just as fun (from experience on the SkyHawk at CP & Screamin' Swing at Knott's Berry Farm) and I would not mind one of these.

Silver Bullet was down most of the fall as well. I am a bit concerned for the ride as that seems like a long time to have it down. The problem is that it is unique, so getting parts may not be as easy as if Huss made it.

Darien Lake's Ignite the Night: Colorblast - 2017 Edition

Though the full spectrum laser was having some struggles during the 1st half of the show, here is the full edition of this year's Ignite the Night: Colorblast! This show runs nightly when the park closes at 10:00PM or later, until Harvest Fest. Then, it only runs Saturday evenings at 8:00PM.

Now, Sit back, Relax, and get ready to "Ignite the Night" - In COLORBLAST!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Darien Lake's Ignite the Night: Colorblast - 2017 Edition

Though the full spectrum laser was having some struggles during the 1st half of the show, here is the full edition of this year's Ignite the Night: Colorblast! This show runs nightly when the park closes at 10:00PM or later, until Harvest Fest. Then, it only runs Saturday evenings at 8:00PM.

Now, Sit back, Relax, and get ready to "Ignite the Night" - In COLORBLAST!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it looks like your video was copyrighted.

So apparently today was field trip day to the park for most schools, and honestly I feel really bad. The entire day was just cold and rainy here, I'd imagine quite a few rides were down because of it.

Well other than that, the Ignite the Night 2017 video. I found it way better than last year's light show. I wasn't that surprised when they did a Pokemon related song, seeing how that became a huge fad again. They knew kids (and adults) would be pretty glad to see that. Although my concern is how it seemed like after the first half, they were using songs from past years. It's better than nothing though, so that's something to think about.

Sunday turned out to be great day, so we left for the park and got our passes. we immediately went to Haymaker, we expected to ride silver bullet but it was closed. We rode Viper and it was running smoothly, we then tried strike-me-up and rolling thunder. we basically rode everything counterclockwise execpt for RoS that's our last ride but it had a decent sized line so we skipped it and left. Yesterday we went to fantasy island. I'll might post pictures.

Edited by ride of steel