Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1046 - Howl-o-Scream media event
Users viewing this topic: coasterbill, Dombot and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Masquerade » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Had to be my f*cking luck that I went the day after Pompeii set itself on fire. Really a bummer as it's not a kind of ride you see outside of Universal or Disney (on the Western Hemisphere at least). Hopefully they don't turn down the pyrotechnics because of this (I first rode it in 2006 with the fire turned off and it felt incomplete compered to when I went in 2013 when the fire and effects were on).

Avoided the rain at least for the most part (ducked for cover in San Marco for about an hour, but nothing more than that). Still pissed that DarKastle's facade was kinda just lying there, and Alpengeist being closed for the day was meh. The good news at least was that Nessie's got some strobe and sound effects in the tunnel, and it took me by surprise that something as small as Invadr could pack as much of a punch as it does. This and Verbolten are probably my current favorites (the two most unsuspecting ones).

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:05 am

Just a quick "unoffical" update on Pompeii from a friend who works in the park now that the dust has settled so to speak. It sounds like as of now the word is that the special effects system had nothing to do with the fire. Apparently JCC fire was able to get six trucks in very quickly and, as others have already pointed out, it was extinguished quickly and minor damage was the whole result. It's very likely the ride will reopen this season, but it's going to be slow going because they will need JCC to inspect both the building and the ride, before and after repairs are done. For this reason a time estimate is not being given. You can't miss a deadline you don't set! The ride will likely need to be re-certified after all is said and done, although it doesn't sound like the ride itself was affected at all.

As an aside from when I used to work there way back when, the paths are wide enough for firetrucks as a rule, and all the bridges in the park are designed to support one. I saw them training in the park during the off season twice, and every ride/building in the park has it's own street address just like anywhere else. The response time, therefor, was very fast for a fire that was very small. Still scary, and still a fire, but I would be shocked not to see the ride re-open this season. If nothing else, I'd be shocked if they don't use it for hallow-scream and Christmas town even if they are delayed getting the ride re-certified.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 am

DrachenfireOP wrote:It's very likely the ride will reopen this season, but it's going to be slow going because they will need JCC to inspect both the building and the ride, before and after repairs are done. For this reason a time estimate is not being given. You can't miss a deadline you don't set! The ride will likely need to be re-certified after all is said and done, although it doesn't sound like the ride itself was affected at all.

psssssssssst: It reopened the day before you posted this.

Postby CoasterAuditor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 am

coasterbill wrote:
psssssssssst: It reopened the day before you posted this.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In my opinion El Toro and Intimidator 305 ride fairly and are free of material roughness.
(That's an auditor joke don't kill me)

Knoebels > Everywhere

Coaster Count: 118

Postby DrachenfireOP » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Lol oh my! I waited 2 days before posting and clearly now that I'm not in VA Im even more behind the times ><

I'll leave my old post as is because you should never deny others a laugh even if it's at your expense :P

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:13 pm

BGW Bier Fest Logo.jpg

BIER FEST AT BUSCH GARDENS® WILLIAMSBURG

TAPS MORE THAN 100 BEERS

One of Virginia’s Best Beer Festivals is Back and Bigger Than Ever

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (July 31, 2018) – Summer may be coming to a close, but Busch Gardens Williamsburg’s Bier Fest is ready to showcase some of the country’s best beers to enthusiasts.

Park guests can toast the final few weekends of summer with some refreshing frosty beverages. This festival spans three weekends and features more than 100 beers tapped throughout the event, brewery talks from popular craft breweries, live local bands, and traditional German food. Bier Fest takes place every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from Aug. 17 – Sept. 3. Beer bars throughout the park will offer guests unique draft and bottled beers from around the world, almost half of which come from breweries in Virginia.

And what’s Bier Fest without authentic German food? This year’s menu features an array of mouth-watering items, including roasted turkey legs, beer-battered bratwurst, and a giant pretzel with bacon salt known as a Riesenbrezel.

Busch Gardens’ Burgermeister will host a firkin keg tapping ceremony on Fridays during the event.

Not only will the beer be cold, but park guests can enjoy sounds from top local bands:

Daily performances; fan favorite THE HAPPY DUTCHMEN will perform each day during Bier Fest.
Aug. 18; Jesse Chong brings his reggae infused jam-rock to the event.
Aug. 25; acoustic guitarist Lewis McGehee performs.
Aug. 31 and Sept. 1; The Deloreans will take guests back to the sounds of the ‘80s
Sept. 1; Buck Shot Band, a modern country group, takes the stage.
Sept. 2; the rock-n-roll band Super Doppler performs.
Sept. 2 - 3; Kevin MaC brings his “Southern Swag” music to the stage.
For more information, including operating times, please visit buschgardens.com/williamsburg/events/beer-festival/.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:45 pm

Pretzels. Just pretzels. :lover:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby yodelo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 am

Is it possible to walk to Busch Gardens? I'm staying at the Double Tree which is just 1 mile away. If it's possible to just walk over, I'd much rather not pay for an uber or $18 parking fee!

Also, are we allowed to bring bags onto rides? Or do they force you to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo?

Thank you!!!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 am

There aren't any sidewalks, and I doubt the park would appreciate you crossing their access roads. I'd just figure out whether Uber or the parking is cheaper and go with that.

BGW does prefer that you not bring your bags into a coaster station, but you can usually keep your phone in a secured pocket (except on Tempesto, where they do supply temporary fanny packs for small items).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am

Your hotel offers a shuttle for a small fee. I don't know what the fee is, but you can call the hotel and ask if you care that much. I saw a post that said it was 5 bucks, but that was also from 2015.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!