Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1031 - Report from the Food & Wine Festival
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Coaster19 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:59 am

FutureMan2 wrote:
Coaster19 wrote:No you are correct. They will give you only a general overview. Where I am getting the info about BG parks is from working at them and asking the correct people these questions. BG makes a crap ton of money, and (without paper proof) the general consensus is that BG makes the money for SeaWorld. The quarter/annual reports show that SeaWorld is not doing great. Thus backing the internal statements. This is also backed by the fact that when Merlin Ent stated publicly they were interested in purchasing BG parks. The crazy thing is, that was not just a statement. Talks were had, but ultimately SeaWorld will not sale BG parks at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, darn. For the record I’m not doubting what you’re saying. In fact, I agree with you having also worked for the company and doing the same thing you’ve done, talking to the right people. I’ve just always had an assumption as to the ranking of the parks: which ones are making money, breaking even, and losing money.

Getting back to the subject of Busch Gardens Williamsburg I hope if they move forward with Sesame Place 2 that they don’t stop adding capital investments to the main park. Typically my wife and I won’t revisit a park until they have added a few larger rides but Busch Gardens Williamsburg is one of the parks that we will visit after each one. Additionally from what a few of you have said we missed couple good spots but it may have been because we were very “focused” on the food and wine event haha

Oh I know. I was just being clearer.

Well I am excited for the future of BGW. Rumor has it that Spain will be the next area and the 315ft “attraction” that has been approved (according to someone that “claims” to seen the plan) seems to be a Coaster. I have my doubts but we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...make today a glorious day, you never know who you will influence...

Just Another Life Experience

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby padsquad2010 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Double post
Last edited by padsquad2010 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm.
Count: 51

Top 10: Fury 325 - Intimidator (Carowinds) - Medusa (SFDK) - Volcano: The Blast Coaster - Dominator - Alpengeist - Griffon - Afterburn - California Screamin' - Apollo's Chariot

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby padsquad2010 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 pm

First time posting here, long time lurker. I just visited Busch Gardens Williamsburg and got to be in either the first or second cycle for Battle for Eire. I figured I should give my thoughts.

The queue is very well done. It starts off as just rockwork, with screens explaining your magical caps, as they say. By the time you pick up the VR mount, it's become a detailed castle. It's very cohesive and flows naturally between sections.

The preshow feels very cut-and-pasted from Curse of Darkastle. It has pretty much the same effects, and the same feel. Just a different story.

There's a loading Bay, with light up dots on the floor to stand on. They take a while to explain the dots, but everyone kinda figures it out. In this room, there is a safety video, but those who will ride on the farthest part of the simulator will not be able to see.

The actual simulator room was quite large. I never knew Europe in the Air existed until I was leaving the park on my last visit. It felt very imposing and it gave a lot of hope that this would be awesome. Be sure not to put the VR on the headgear until they tell you to. They don't like when people do that too soon.

The ride itself was okay. The VR was just a little pixelated, but not distractingly so. At times, it was very blurry. The biggest issue seemed to be the simulator itself. The simulator was not convincingly making the movements. It was synced up very well, but they couldn't accurately portray any motion left to right. When the video turned 90 degrees to the right, the sensation was that of simply sliding to the right without turning. When the video would both blur, and the simulator just felt like it lurched instead of moved, the ride really started to feel weird very fast.

If it was a traditional simulator, I think they could have pulled it off much better. They seem to have overestimated the simulator's motion range. It came off as watching the VR while experiencing a separate simulator ride, rather than one cohesive thing. It just didn't mesh quite right. I do not recommend waiting in a line that extends out the building. If you can't see the line though, it's a nice, air conditioned, and visually impressive experience. The queue was stunning, by non-Disney standards. This is an example of storytelling done well, but not an attraction done super well.
Count: 51

Top 10: Fury 325 - Intimidator (Carowinds) - Medusa (SFDK) - Volcano: The Blast Coaster - Dominator - Alpengeist - Griffon - Afterburn - California Screamin' - Apollo's Chariot

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby bill_s » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:34 pm

This place was open Monday for some reason. Well actually it was Emancipation Day with government workers in DC closed, but I just had to look that up and didn't seem like anyone showed up to the park because of it. Holy cats. Also there was some scattered rain including a slight chance of thunderstorm centered right on my visit, but while there wasn't a lot of sun, as I headed east of Richmond the dark clouds changed to white puffy ones with bits of blue showing.

Rode Loch Ness with the new trains, the green shade making me think Loch Ness Anaconda. I'm not sure what difference they made. I did get headbanged slightly from the restraint but rode towards the front and it was pretty smooth. I used to love the back, but it's really rough coming out of the loops. I wondered if the new trains wouldn't have padding on the backrests because I've had it grip my back and felt my backbone being stretched by the bumps, but that part is the same.

Walked on front row of Apollo. Airtime is the exact same as every time I've ever ridden it, extended floater in the back. Went over for a couple of Tempesto rides. I waited one train for the front and wow there is some ejector air coming up to the top of that first loop. I could have stayed in my seat but I don't want to try riding that thing twice back to back. Only reason I can tolerate it without getting sick is because it's so short.

Skyride was closed which is why I ended up riding Apollo already in the first place. I saw the train go by twice before I was done over there and then it promptly showed up again. InvadR's right at the Caribou train station so that was next. I really like how the train and that ride interact, yeah the people on the train probably think it's silly when the people on the coaster yell at them. Le Scoot was closed but looked like it had been open earlier. As to if InvadR is a family ride or a thrill ride, it's about as thrilling as a coaster 74 feet tall gets. There are a couple missed opportunities for more airtime but my arms got tired from trying to hold them up while whipping around.

Then rode Griffon and Geist. Skipped the Bolt as I marathoned it at X Town and it was out of the way. Didn't try Eire as it sounds like it will be at least as sickening as the other rides in that location and there were better things to do.

Overall I was in the park almost exactly 3 hours, got 23 coaster laps incl. 9 front row and 2 hops on the train. Sweet.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 pm

How has the throughput been for Battle for Eire (if anyone has ridden it)? I'm thinking I should rope drop that tomorrow if all other VR rides are any indication.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- Nagashima Spa Land and Parque Espana

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Hmrapp » Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Odd question for anyone to answer...

How come Griffon's track is colored in darker shades on different spots of the circuit?

Also, who was Battle of Eire manufactured by?
Screenshot 2018-05-01 at 9.53.07 PM.png
RCDB Freak. Perception is an illusion altered by instinctual conformity. :devil:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue May 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Battle for Eire's video was done by Falcon Creative Group, and Dreamcraft Attractions worked on the ride, too. The simulator platform has been there since the Questor days (upgraded since).

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Hmrapp » Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 pm

cfc wrote:Battle for Eire's video was done by Falcon Creative Group, and Dreamcraft Attractions worked on the ride, too. The simulator platform has been there since the Questor days (upgraded since).

Thanks for the information...

Do you have any clue about Griffon's track?
RCDB Freak. Perception is an illusion altered by instinctual conformity. :devil:

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby TB305 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 pm

^That's just where the track has been repainted most recently. The lowest portions of the track don't require massive cranes so they can be repainted more easily and are done more frequently.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 am

Okay, this park is going insane with future plans. Not that it's a bad thing...But I'm crazy curious what's happening at this park in the next few years. First we get leaked news that a Spain area with a 315 foot attraction may be coming. Then a survey asking about adding a third gate, a Sesame Place, to the area. Now, there is more leaked news that a 90 foot attraction may be coming to the Ireland area of the park. What comes first? Is BGW going overboard here or is all this just "fake news"?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!