Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 974 - New maze announced for Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby jonskinny12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:59 am

My only visit to BGW was somewhere around 2000. I remember Apollo's Chariot was new but I'm not sure it was the first season. I remember as a teenager being so impressed with Alpengeist, particularly by its size, location, and theming. We visited SFMM pretty regularly and I had ridden Batman a number of times before that, so Alpengeist was at least my second B&M invert. But for a long time after that Alpengeist was my favorite invert, probably up until I rode Banshee a couple years ago (I don't get caught up in favorites or top 10s or whatever anymore). I'm really hoping to get back to BGW in the next couple years.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby dakota381 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 pm

It's Official! My Sis and I are going up for Food and Wine Fest, Memorial Weekend. (I know, we're crazy) We're both excited to check out Tempesto and InvadR since these were not there when we visited in 2014. We both love BGW so much and can't wait to go back even though it will probably be slammed! This park holds a special place in my sister's heart as her first park ever and her first coaster was LNM.
I cannot wait!! :b
Wood: 27 Steel: 102 Total: 129
http://coaster-count.com/list19687.xhtml

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Just wanted to say happy belated birthday to the best invert! =)
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 am

Anyone need a one day ticket coupon? I found this during spring cleaning

IYQ6QAi.jpg

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:17 pm

^ Actually, that's about 25 years old now... a Collectors' Can! :b :br

:lol: Good find.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby DrachenfireOP » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:25 am

^ Lol yeah. I actually "found" it the first time in my garage in the 90s, and since it was expired at the time but cool I thought I should keep it. I've had it in storage with a variety of other cool park swag. I've been meaning to put up a little display in my home at some point and just never got around to it. I have a 20th anniversary park mug, Stein with the Burgermeister on it, some LNM/BBW stuff from when it was still "The Old Country," a bunch of Drachenfire stuff (mugs, shirts, a hat), an Alpengeist shirt from 1997 that has all the world record stats on it, a bunch of pins (including Questor!) and so on and so forth all the way up to my Tempesto mug from when it came out. Looking forward to adding an InvadR item to the collection!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 pm

For the locals...

I will likely be visiting BGW for the first time on a Monday and Tuesday in early August this year. I know this type of stuff is difficult to predict, but would a Quick Queue pass be needed? We'll be spending two full days at the park from open to close, and I know they have lots of people-eating B&Ms, but I just thought I'd ask if that is a busy time of year to visit. Thanks in advance.
Steel: 123 -- Wood: 20 -- Total: 143
Twitter & Instagram: @nlamoreaux99

Postby DrachenfireOP » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 pm

^ Could go either way. Mon/Tues are typically "low" attendance days, but august is august. Those are certainly the best days of the week to assume lower attendance. BGW is weird though. Sometimes you go on a weekend and can walk right onto coasters. Sometimes you go on a weekday and are waiting an hour.

With that said, outside of Hallowscream and major holidays, wait times are rarely more than an hour for any ride, and you're far more likely than not to see wait times of 5-15 on most coasters, with Tempesto being the only one to have a somewhat longer line (though still usually short). On a hot day, the water rides are the longest lines in the park by a longshot, and the skyride can also have pretty long lines, especially towards the end of the night when people don't want to walk anymore.

I'd recommend you go hit up Tempesto first thing when you arrive. Loch Ness tends to have it's longest line at the start of the day and taper out to near nothing later on, save the busiest days. Verbolten often has the longest looking line, but moves very quick due to duel loading. If you start at Tempesto, you're also primed for Apollo right there, you can hit up the festa/Italy flat rides, then follow the circle hitting Verbolten, DarKastle, more flat rides, then through to Alpengeist, Invadr, Griffon, then back to the park enterance for LNM. Make sure to ride LNM and Griffon in the back if nowhere else, the airtime is insane. Apollo is also spectacular in the back. If you have time for both a front and back ride on Tempesto, they offer different experiences. Alpengeist is good in every seat, still one of my top 10 roller coasters of all time, and my personal favorite in the park. Make sure to brace yourself before going through the cobra roll and MCBR on Alpengeist, it's from the era when B&Ms still had balls and throws you around a bit. Rest of the ride is super smooth. LNM is a very non-arrow Arrow, so it's a very smooth ride by Arrow standards.

DarKastle is really fun for what it is, so don't miss out unless simulators make you sick. They have a lot of oldschool carnival flats that are really worth a spin as well. Mach Tower is the worst drop tower I've ever been on, when it's even open, so if the line is too long don't bother (though the view is really cool).

Also, the show in Ireland is really cool if you're even remotely into step dancing. Trappers smokehouse is awesome to eat, but the quality tends to differ throughout the day. At major meal times when there's a line, it's the best food in the park. At shoulder times, it can be lackluster. The food at Das Festhaus is really freaking good too though, especially if you like German food. Italy has a newish marketplace with a lot of variety. I haven't had a bad thing from them yet, though I haven't lived in VA for years now.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:22 pm

DrachenfireOP wrote:DarKastle is really fun for what it is, so don't miss out unless simulators make you sick. They have a lot of oldschool carnival flats that are really worth a spin as well. Mach Tower is the worst drop tower I've ever been on, when it's even open, so if the line is too long don't bother (though the view is really cool).

I don't get all of the hate for Mach Tower. The ride gave a great view and I found the drop was almost as good as an Intamin tower. I know it had Lightning Rod syndrome opening year but I do enjoy that ride.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge, Skyrush
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Holiday World

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby pryonisys » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
DrachenfireOP wrote:DarKastle is really fun for what it is, so don't miss out unless simulators make you sick. They have a lot of oldschool carnival flats that are really worth a spin as well. Mach Tower is the worst drop tower I've ever been on, when it's even open, so if the line is too long don't bother (though the view is really cool).

I don't get all of the hate for Mach Tower. The ride gave a great view and I found the drop was almost as good as an Intamin tower. I know it had Lightning Rod syndrome opening year but I do enjoy that ride.

I'm with you, It's not a terrible drop tower, sure it's not the best, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!