Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Carousel Imagination » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:54 am

Delete
Last edited by Carousel Imagination on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:57 am

Carousel Imagination wrote:Couldn't help but get curious about this. It's potentially state regulation (and insurance) related. Virginia doesn't play around with some things.

There is no explanation, IMO, only poor excuses.

That would fall under the "poor excuses" category. I do not believe this is a "Virginia thing" I believe it's a park and/or ride manufacturer issue.

I also don't think that quoting a bunch of ride restrictions makes you an "expert" on Virginia stage regulation and insurance, am I right?
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 am

Carousel Imagination wrote:So, Virginia is the outlier. Location, location, location.

Did you bother to do any research on this? It took me about 90 seconds to find these two documents:

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/images/SBC/CodeBooks/2012%20Virginia%20Amusement%20Device%20Regulations.pdf

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/images/SBC/Virginia%20Amusement%20Device%20Regulations%20%28VADR%29%20FAQs.pdf

and I did not find any reference at all to a rider needing to be 46" in the state of Virginia to ride a medium-sized wooden roller coaster. I admit I am not an expert on this either, but I at least took the time to search to see if there was any actual regulations beyond just looking at parks websites, regurgitating height restrictions text, and pretending to be a know-it all on the subject.

Please. If you're not willing to fact check something, don't post to our forums. Thank you.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:18 am.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:10 am

People argued that California banned lap-bar only inverting coasters at the same time that Montezooma's Revenge was operating daily at Knotts. That's all I'm sayin.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:17 am

DirkFunk wrote:People argued that California banned lap-bar only inverting coasters at the same time that Montezooma's Revenge was operating daily at Knotts. That's all I'm sayin.

Yep. This also came to mind as well. If there is one thing I've learned over the decades of working with the amusement industry is that most parks could in fact find a solution for something if they wanted to, but usually will just give you an "excuse" for the things they don't to satisfy a justification for a decision.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Carousel Imagination » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 am

robbalvey wrote:I also don't think that quoting a bunch of ride restrictions makes you an "expert" on Virginia stage regulation and insurance, am I right?

Ha! Yes, you're right. I was guessing. Finding that big difference in VA versus all the others seemed like something that could relate. The different height requirements, not just here but internationally like with Joris, are really interesting.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby JJLehto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:36 pm

New coaster looks cool, and I've not been to BGW since 99 (holy hell). On a road trip up home may have to stop here along the way!
Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Skyrush, I305, El Toro, Bizarro (SF:NE), Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Maverick, Storm Runner
2017 parks: Universal Studios/IoA, Cedar Point

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby SLCHeadache » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Carousel Imagination wrote:Couldn't help but get curious about this. It's potentially state regulation (and insurance) related. Virginia doesn't play around with some things.

46" Invadr

Now compare height requirements for the same coaster ...

Virginia = 46" Woodstock Express (Kings Dominion)
Carolinas = 40" Woodstock Express (Carowinds)
Ohio = 40" Woodstock Express (Kings Island)
Canada = 40" Ghoster Coaster (Canada's Wonderland)
Note: Riders between 40" and 46" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion

So, Virginia is the outlier. Location, location, location.

Nope, Woodstock Express at Kings Dominion is 40" supervised, 46" unsupervised. Source: https://www.kingsdominion.com/help/height-safety

I was there just today and saw a kid with a 40" wrist band with a parent in line.

As for InvadR itself, I liked it. It packed just enough of a punch for a family "first big" coaster (height restriction aside). The first drop was much more intense than I expected, back seat at night (my only ride).
Top steel: Intimidator 305 / Fury 325 / Twisted Colossus / Storm Runner / Tatsu
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:46 am

Pure guessing, the distance between each "click" on Millennium Flyer restraint is very long compared to that of other trains, maybe this is causing the height requirement to be rather high.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CoasterDirected » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 am

The base trains aren't designed for someone under 46 inches, I'm thinking it's that simple... sure you could do some work arounds here and there but BGW didn't want Mini Millennium Flyers and you can only get so low with Gwazi's trains. The park and GCI could probably lower it to 44 inches or lower if they wanted to, but it's way better to stay on the safe side and have a kid wait a year before they can ride InvadR
Top 10 Favorite Coasters
Steel:
1. Fury 325 2. Maverick 3. Millennium Force 4. New Texas Giant 5. Mako 6. Top Thrill Dragster 7. Cheetah Hunt 8. Diamondback 9. Banshee 10. Storm Chaser
Wood:
1. Goliath 2. Outlaw Run 3. Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. Thunderhead 6. Beast 7. Boss 8. Cornball Express 9. Legend 10. American Thunder

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!