Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby MisterBrow » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Being short and having to endure the "Are you sure you are going to be tall enough to ride?" taunts from my friends there is satisfaction when the really tall guys are too big to ride.

What would be the top five parks for 48" and under coaster riders? (Maybe this belongs in a new thread?) My youngest is stalled at 49". Cheetah Run, Super Duper Looper, and Lochness are probably her top three. She liked El Toro but wasn't up for a reride. As a family I think we like BGW the best. First Knoebels trip set for August.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby VegasBaby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Robb makes a great point about Hersheypark, it really is the best park if you have kids that are 42, 48, and 54 inches tall. We went for 3 days two years ago and there really was something for everyone in the family. My youngest went on her first looper (SDL) and her first big woodie (Comet). Her favorite though was Laff Trak, which is a really fun take on the family spinning coaster. Just the fact that Hershey has four non-kiddie coasters that she could ride at 42 inches sold us on taking a trip there. My son, who was just over 48 inches at the time, loved Lightning Racer and Sidewinder (those new Vekoma shoulder straps are much better than traditional OTSRs). Then my oldest rode her first B&M invert and her first Intamins (Storm Runner and Fahrenheit), but she stopped short of Skyrush. I was totally ok with that though, as I got 5-6 rides on Skyrush each morning during the early entry.

SFGrAm is actually a great park too for families with kids 42-48 inches tall. It has two 36 inch coasters (Little Dipper and Whizzer), two 42s (Demon and Dark Knight), and a bunch of 48s (Am Eagle, Goliath, Joker, Viper, plus Giant Drop). When you add in the new Justice League ride and one of the last remaining Condors, there's actually a lot for families with younger kids to ride.
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Mako
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:42 pm

And now I'm going to add a ride op's perspective on the height requirement argument.

I have 2 years experience operating a ride with the greatest height requirement in the park. There are so many angry parent stories swapped around the breakroom about a child being just barely too short and crying while the parent yells at the ride op. The parent yelling at the ride ops because the kid was already on all other rides in the park and now can't get on this one. Or was on the ride earlier in the day/season.

That's the kind of thing I hate the most. Worse than the drunks. Worse than the tossed cookies I have to clean up. Worse than those who think that they're above the rules. It's the look on the kid's face as their tears stain the cement.

But my biggest question in this debate is: who's to blame the most? The park who ordered the ride and set the requirement or the engineers who designed it?
B&M Family Invert: approx 45"
Cedar Fair Vekoma Family Suspended: 44"
Legoland Florida Vekoma Family Suspended: 48"
Fun-Spot Orlando's Vekoma Family Suspended: 36" with adult/48" without

And since we're on the subject of GCI, If I remember correctly, when Legoland Florida switched out the PTC trains on Coastersaurus for GCI Mini-lenium flyers, the height requirement increased and some weren't all too happy about that.

robbalvey wrote:While the trains look and ride GREAT, I have to be honest it was disappointing to hear that the height restriction was raised from 36" to 42". I really hope the park can work with Great Coasters to lower that a bit, at least to 40" to match The Dragon also at Legoland as well as other rides in the area. The 40" mark is kind of a key height restriction in Central Florida. How do you tell a kid "Sorry, Johnny, I know you were able to ride Tower of Terror, Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain, Dinosaur, Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Spider-Man, and Transformers... but you can't ride the junior woodie at Legoland." Gotta think something can be done (38" with an adult, 42" to ride alone maybe?)
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:55 pm

CaptainUnknown wrote:But my biggest question in this debate is: who's to blame the most? The park who ordered the ride and set the requirement or the engineers who designed it?
B&M Family Invert: approx 45"
Cedar Fair Vekoma Family Suspended: 44"
Legoland Florida Vekoma Family Suspended: 48"
Fun-Spot Orlando's Vekoma Family Suspended: 36" with adult/48" without

And since we're on the subject of GCI, If I remember correctly, when Legoland Florida switched out the PTC trains on Coastersaurus for GCI Mini-lenium flyers, the height requirement increased and some weren't all too happy about that.

robbalvey wrote:While the trains look and ride GREAT, I have to be honest it was disappointing to hear that the height restriction was raised from 36" to 42". I really hope the park can work with Great Coasters to lower that a bit, at least to 40" to match The Dragon also at Legoland as well as other rides in the area. The 40" mark is kind of a key height restriction in Central Florida. How do you tell a kid "Sorry, Johnny, I know you were able to ride Tower of Terror, Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain, Dinosaur, Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Spider-Man, and Transformers... but you can't ride the junior woodie at Legoland." Gotta think something can be done (38" with an adult, 42" to ride alone maybe?)

All fair and valid points, but let's address your question: But my biggest question in this debate is: who's to blame the most? The park who ordered the ride and set the requirement or the engineers who designed it?

Personally, I think the blame lies 50/50. In the case of the GCI woodie, not even InvadR but a ride like White Lightning or the new woodie that went into Plopsa Panne last year, IMO there is just no reason why those coasters need to have as high of a height requirement as they do. I believe GCI should have engineered a way for those rides to be 42" and I refuse to believe there isn't a solution. Even if that solution also was 48" to ride alone or 42" to ride with an adult.

I also feel it's the parks responsibility to ensure they have a good balance of attractions for all ages and heights. When you have a park that is so unbalanced you have to stop and ask "Why do they keep building rides for one group of guests, but not the other?" Busch Gardens Tampa went through this as well, but at least they did finally install Cobra's Curse which has a 42" height restriction to help fill that gap.

I also feel that BGW should have tried to convince GCI to lower the height restriction or come up with a solution. And while yes, 46" is lower than 48" I still believe that ride is not more intense or scary than Tower of Terror, Big Thunder Mountain, or Test Track. And you have to be 6" taller to ride those GCI woodies than Tower of Terror??!?! That makes zero sense to me. That's either poor engineering saying your trains or restraints require that height to the park not fighting the ride manufacturer to get it lower.

I just wish that parks would take this more into consideration than they do.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:58 pm.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Trevor Hamilton » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:30 pm

^I like the idea of making it 42" with an adult and 48" alone, but it's just one of those things you have to deal with I guess. I'm 6"7' and could ride most rides at a young age (hence my love for them), but I still know it sucks to see those awesome coasters and not be able to ride them. Is this a problem at BGT too? I used to live in Tampa when I was five and could ride Scorpion ( :lover: Scorpion) but nothing else, and I was pretty tall. I know really tall five year olds still can't ride like Kumba or Montu but I'm just curious.
My Top 5 Roller Coasters:
1. Griffon 2. Fury 325 3. 1305 4. Maverick 5. El Toro
Coaster Count: 101
Park Count: 17
Home Park: Hershey Park
Favorite Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Trevor Hamilton wrote:^I like the idea of making it 42" with an adult and 48" alone, but it's just one of those things you have to deal with I guess. I'm 6"7' and could ride most rides at a young age (hence my love for them), but I still know it sucks to see those awesome coasters and not be able to ride them. Is this a problem at BGT too? I used to live in Tampa when I was five and could ride Scorpion ( :lover: Scorpion) but nothing else, and I was pretty tall. I know really tall five year olds still can't ride like Kumba or Montu but I'm just curious.

Though I've unfortunately yet to experience BGW, I'd say BGT is worse. The monkey-fighting Schwarzkopf has a lower height requirement than their wild mouse! The three B&Ms and Falcon's Fury all have 54" requirements. Sure there are some rides for the kiddies, but there's a lot of walking involved in the Floridian heat. Though there is a fun-looking shaded jungle-gym type play area in the Sesame Street area.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby knaiwear » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:16 pm

The question remains though - if Joris is 42" and it has the same trains, then isn't GCI off the hook here and all the blame should go to the parks? I'm assuming they have a minimum spec for their train design, and that Joris meets it...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:10 am

knaiwear wrote:The question remains though - if Joris is 42" and it has the same trains, then isn't GCI off the hook here and all the blame should go to the parks? I'm assuming they have a minimum spec for their train design, and that Joris meets it...

I'm going to guess that Efteling worked with GCI to come up with a solution to make that ride 42" since every other GCI out there is either 46" or 48" and that's why I said, it's up to the parks to work things out with the ride manufacturer.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:18 am

Trevor Hamilton wrote:Is this a problem at BGT too? I used to live in Tampa when I was five and could ride Scorpion ( :lover: Scorpion) but nothing else, and I was pretty tall. I know really tall five year olds still can't ride like Kumba or Montu but I'm just curious.

Well, it's not uncommon for a five year old not to be able to ride Kumba or Montu since those rides are 54" and our daughter, who is ten years old, is still not tall enough to ride them.

It is an issue at BGT where they have more 54" rides than they do for younger kids, but it's not as bad as BGW. The Tampa park at least offers 1 "kiddie" coaster at 38", two full-sized coasters at 42" (Scorpion and Cobra's Curse), the Wild Mouse is 46", Cheetah Hunt is 48" and everything else is 54". It's a *little* more balanced than BGW, but I still feel like BGT could probably use one or two more 42" or 48" big rides to really balance out the mix. But they are most certainly on their way!

CaptainUnknown wrote:Though I've unfortunately yet to experience BGW, I'd say BGT is worse.

You're statement is 100% completely wrong. See what I posted above. Please don't make posts to our forum if you don't know what you're talking about. Thank you.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Trevor Hamilton » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:37 am

It almost seems like BGW is using the "you can't come" technique from South Park
My Top 5 Roller Coasters:
1. Griffon 2. Fury 325 3. 1305 4. Maverick 5. El Toro
Coaster Count: 101
Park Count: 17
Home Park: Hershey Park
Favorite Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!