Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: 16 Nov 2013
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Gender: Male

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby VF15 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Afterburner wrote:
VACoasterdude wrote:InvadR is a very smooth coaster and very rewritable.


InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR

Huh. So it is.

:lmao: :nina:
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing

Image

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
 
Posts: 78
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Age: 23

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Jpizzle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Got a ride in today. I think this is a great addition- in fact, I believe it suits the role of "family coaster" better than verbolten. When the lines eventually die down, this will be another very good rerideable coaster at BGW.
Top 5: 1.El Toro 2.Wicked Cyclone 3.Intimidator 305
4.Maverick 5.Skyrush

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?
User avatar
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Location: Korea
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Garet » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 am

I always felt a high height restriction is what made the Aquatrax never really take off. That ride is fantastic fun all around but outside the first climb, to me it's not what I would call thrilling. Stupidly huge amounts of fun: Yes. Thrilling: Not so much. It just seems like there are so many other rides out there that can do the same thing for a cheaper cost and lower heights.

It's always a shame when the height is so high because fun, floaty, not too scary rides like these would work great as introductory coasters. Considering there are other companies that do offer that you think it would be in their interests to get the height limit there.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 5561
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified
Age: 39

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:40 am

Great report as always Chuck. Looks like you get tossed around pretty good at spots in that video. I'm stoked to ride. Nice to hear no seatbelts.

Afterburner wrote:
VACoasterdude wrote:InvadR is a very smooth coaster and very rewritable.


InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR

Huh. So it is.


:lmao: Dead.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
User avatar
 
Posts: 79
Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:11 am

46" seems like a very strange Height Limit to have for a wooden coaster, does anyone know of any others that have that limit? Most that I have ever seen are usually either 42" or 48".

And sorry If this is late to talk about but it is strange that a family oriented park like Busch Gardens (either one really) has very few coasters for anyone below that 46" height. My daughter is only 3 now but she loves riding rides and even small coasters, and its hard for me to be able to ride the big ones without her getting upset that she cant too. So More true family coasters between 36" and 42" would be greatly appreciated for that in between crowd that loves rides but is too short for the B&M's of the world.

When we visited Dollywood that ended up being a tough park to enjoy together because the vast majority of rides she could do (anything below 39") were in the one end of the park and mostly in the Fair section. The rest of the park was less enjoyable for her because she couldn't ride most things. Parks need to do more what Hershey does and scatter their family and kid rides out amongst the big rides and coasters so everyone can enjoy everything together better.

Hopefully in a year or two she will finally be big enough for the coasters with 42" height limits : )
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:122
STEEL:94
WOOD:28
PARKS:24

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 46569
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:39 am

CNYCoasterguy11 wrote:46" seems like a very strange Height Limit to have for a wooden coaster, does anyone know of any others that have that limit? Most that I have ever seen are usually either 42" or 48".

White Lightning is also 46" and I also personally think that ride should be 42" but at least they have a ride RIGHT NEXT DOOR that's a pretty large-sized ride with a 36" height restriction. But honestly, think about it, if a Vekoma suspended coaster, which is actually quite a decent ride with some good forces can be 36" why should a smaller-sized family woodie be 46"? It makes no sense to me and seems so unbalanced, especially when you're in Orlando where families are used to rides that are 38" - 44" for a lot of the medium sized coasters. (and rides like Space Mountain and Everest which have a lower height restriction than WL are pretty BIG rides!)

CNYCoasterguy11 wrote:And sorry If this is late to talk about but it is strange that a family oriented park like Busch Gardens (either one really) has very few coasters for anyone below that 46" height. Parks need to do more what Hershey does and scatter their family and kid rides out amongst the big rides and coasters so everyone can enjoy everything together better.

It's funny that you reference Hersheypark because I've always felt that Hersheypark and BGW are very similar parks in how they are perceived by the public as "family parks" yet one park really seems to "get it" with their height restrictions and family offerings and one doesn't. If you look at Hershey, they have....

A couple of coasters for the much smaller kids at 36" with one of them not being a "kiddie" but a full-sized mine train:
Trailblazer
Cocoa Cruiser

Some for the 42" kids...
Comet
SooperDooperLooper
Laff Track

Then for the 48" guests...
Wildcat
Lightning Racer
Sidewinder
Wild Mouse

And then for the 54" thrill seekers....
Great Bear
Skyrush
Fahrenheit
Storm Runner

And most of their other rides also follow this same pattern. This, IMO, is a very WELL BALANCED park! I really feel that BGW is a park that should have a very similar line-up but is very much lacking in the "family" coaster department, or at least the family coaster height restriction department.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:41 am.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
User avatar
 
Posts: 79
Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:48 am

[/quote]And most of their other rides also follow this same pattern. This, IMO, is a very WELL BALANCED park! I really feel that BGW is a park that should have a very similar line-up but is very much lacking in the "family" coaster department, or at least the family coaster height restriction department.[/quote]

BGW is pretty good about their regular rides for the most part being family friendly and spaced out, it's really just when it comes to coasters, and the funny thing is even their "kid" coaster has a height limit of 38" just to ride, many parks have at least one where its only 36" and that's just to ride alone many allow smaller kids to ride as long as they have adults.

Trailblazer to me at Hershey which as you said is 36" is much wilder especially in the end than Grover's Alpine Express, Trailblazer was actually the first real coaster I ever rode as a kid thanks to that height limit.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:122
STEEL:94
WOOD:28
PARKS:24

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 2511
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Age: 18

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 am

robbalvey wrote:
CNYCoasterguy11 wrote:46" seems like a very strange Height Limit to have for a wooden coaster, does anyone know of any others that have that limit? Most that I have ever seen are usually either 42" or 48".

White Lightning is also 46" and I also personally think that ride should be 42" but at least they have a ride RIGHT NEXT DOOR that's a pretty large-sized ride with a 36" height restriction. But honestly, think about it, if a Vekoma suspended coaster, which is actually quite a decent ride with some good forces can be 36" why should a smaller-sized family woodie be 46"? It makes no sense to me and seems so unbalanced, especially when you're in Orlando where families are used to rides that are 38" - 44" for a lot of the medium sized coasters. (and rides like Space Mountain and Everest which have a lower height restriction than WL are pretty BIG rides!)

CNYCoasterguy11 wrote:And sorry If this is late to talk about but it is strange that a family oriented park like Busch Gardens (either one really) has very few coasters for anyone below that 46" height. Parks need to do more what Hershey does and scatter their family and kid rides out amongst the big rides and coasters so everyone can enjoy everything together better.

It's funny that you reference Hersheypark because I've always felt that Hersheypark and BGW are very similar parks in how they are perceived by the public as "family parks" yet one park really seems to "get it" with their height restrictions and family offerings and one doesn't. If you look at Hershey, they have....

A couple of coasters for the much smaller kids at 36" with one of them not being a "kiddie" but a full-sized mine train:
Trailblazer
Cocoa Cruiser

Some for the 42" kids...
Comet
SooperDooperLooper
Laff Track

Then for the 48" guests...
Wildcat
Lightning Racer
Sidewinder
Wild Mouse

And then for the 54" thrill seekers....
Great Bear
Skyrush
Fahrenheit
Storm Runner

And most of their other rides also follow this same pattern. This, IMO, is a very WELL BALANCED park! I really feel that BGW is a park that should have a very similar line-up but is very much lacking in the "family" coaster department, or at least the family coaster height restriction department.


This is one of the main reasons my family loved Hersheypark last year. I could go over and ride Skyrush while my little sister rides SDL, and in the back of the park, I could go on Storm Runner while she rides Trailblazer.

Not only is the height restriction well-balanced, but their actual LOCATION in the park is perfect too. There's no "big kid" section and "little kid" section... it's all pretty evenly spread out. I loved Hershey because of their heavenly Intamin trio, and my mom and little sister loved it because of Trailblazer, SDL, Wild Mouse, and Comet. I can't think of many other parks that are able to please all levels of thrill seekers like Hershey does.

It's a bummer InvadR doesn't have a lower height restriction, otherwise it would have filled a BIG gap at BGW (and it still sorta does). Still looks like a fun little coaster.
Credits: 172
[Top 5] - (1) Skyrush - (2) Fury 325 - (3) Intimidator 305 - (4) El Toro - (5) Kingda Ka (front row)

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3070
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Gender: Male

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:11 am

Afterburner wrote:
VACoasterdude wrote:InvadR is a very smooth coaster and very rewritable.


InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR
InvadR

Huh. So it is.


Savage :lmao: :lmao:
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Gender: None specified

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Fooz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am

I blame children for not being taller. Get it together!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron