Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 974 - New maze announced for Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 pm

george.gif
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby JeromyL » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 pm

robbalvey wrote:Guys, please do not cross post content from other sites. It's rude. Chuck is working on his report and he will have it up soon enough. We have already posted a POV of the coaster as well a few days

Yay!!!! Chuck :)

(Maggiekat and I will be there tomorrow. Any chance your going back?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/1ca0001026f6d685dfa4545ede364cfc.jpg[/img][/url]

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 pm

AstrumSpark wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
Fooz wrote:Invadr is pretty fun. Great great for families.

Fooz wrote:Airtime is low end floater.

VACoasterdude wrote:Rode InvadR during the soft opening tonight. Awesome family coaster.

cfc wrote:Overall, this is a solid GCI wooden coaster that's a lot of fun for families.

So this is what I really don't understand about BGW and their coasters: Everyone is saying this is a great "family" coaster, except with a 46" height restriction, it's starting to get outside of the "family coaster" category.

If Test Track, which goes 65mph, Tower of Terror, which has insane airtime, and Big Thunder Mountain, which actually has a decent amount of airtime for what it does, can all be 40" at Magic Kingdom, explain to me why a ride like InvadR is 46"?

There is no explanation, IMO, only poor excuses.

This will always frustrate me with parks that open rides that are great for one demographic but carry a height restriction for another. BGW is, IMO, one of the most unbalanced major parks in the country (maybe even the world) when it comes to height restrictions. It promotes itself as a "family" park, yet it doesn't have any coasters with a height restriction lower than 46" outside of the kiddie area, and most of them are between 52-54"

Of course the only other park that immediately comes to mind that is even more unbalanced is SeaWorld Orlando. Explain to me why a park that REALLY caters to smaller kids has three giant roller coasters with a 54" height restriction that most kids that go to that park can't even ride. (Not even Kristen who is ten years old now is tall enough to ride any of SeaWorld's coasters!) So perhaps this is a higher-level corporate issue where they just don't value the importance of having a true "family" ride at their parks?

This coaster SHOULD have been their 42" ride that filled that gap which was created when Big Bad Wolf was taken down. One can only hope they'll realize this and try to do something to modify it.

*sigh*

What's wrong with a less intense experience for once? We already have several high level coasters at BGW. Adults are enjoying the ride regardless so I don't see how this is an issue.

Thanks for actually *READING* the post before responding to it. One week ban for being an idiot. Try to be less dumb when you come back.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 pm

You bring up a great point about the height requirements. It's nice to get the perspective of a parent since if you don't have kids it's not something you ever think about. It does seem incredibly odd that a chain with such a "family friendly" reputation has such restrictive height requirements, especially at the Orlando park where their existence is so heavily dependent on families who come to Orlando for Disney with kids well under 54" tall. If you're leeching off of Disney you should probably ensure that your park is suitable for a similar demographic.

robbalvey wrote:Guys, please do not cross post content from other sites. It's rude. Chuck is working on his report and he will have it up soon enough.

Sorry about that by the way. I always check the socials to see if you guys are at an event before sharing anything from another site but I didn't see anything from BGW this morning so I didn't know you had anyone there. My mistake.
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:44 pm.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby defrocker » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Does GCI have any rides that have lower height requirements than 46"?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:44 pm

coasterbill wrote:Sorry about that by the way. I always check the socials to see if you guys are at an event before sharing anything from another site but I didn't see anything from BGW this morning so I didn't know you had anyone there. My mistake.

Yeah, it's cool. I was out at Legoland Florida covering their new resort and Chuck was at BGW. I usually don't like to both from two events at once because it is confusing so I was going to wait for one to be over and then start the other. As it was, there wasn't TOO much to post from the opening at BGW other than Chuck's footage, which we posted to YouTube and it's going up on Facebook soon.

And honestly, had that guy not gotten smacked in the face by the bird, the InvadR stuff probably would have gone up sooner. But, in a weird sort of way, someone getting hit by a bird on the opening day of a coaster is kind of BGW related! ;)
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:45 pm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:48 pm

defrocker wrote:Does GCI have any rides that have lower height requirements than 46"?

Yes, Joris en de Draak is 42"

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby defrocker » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:51 pm

robbalvey wrote: But, in a weird sort of way, someone getting hit by a bird on the opening day of a coaster is kind of BGW related! ;)

Now that's just wrong... :lol:

Interesting, yeah I'm kinda lost here as well.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:54 pm

robbalvey wrote:But, in a weird sort of way, someone getting hit by a bird on the opening day of a coaster is kind of BGW related! ;)

Lol! Keeping Fabio's tradition alive!
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 pm

defrocker wrote:

Interesting, yeah I'm kinda lost here as well.

Yep. This has always been a pet peeve for me. Mainly because I feel it's important for parks to have a good balance of rides available to their guests. I also don't believe that "kids" should be stuck to the "kiddie area" while the older kids get to ride bigger stuff. I feel there should be a balance. IMO, InvadR is a *perfect* family coaster, but it's height restriction is almost that of rides like Loch Ness Monster. I mean, let's be honest, answer this question: Is a ride like Invadr closer to the ride experience of "Big Thunder Mountain" or more like "X2?" Because the height restriction dictates that ride is closer to X2 (48") than it is Big Thunder Mountain (40"), and IMO that's a huge mistake.
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:09 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!