Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby tanthonyam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Should I be ok for Sep 10 Sunday? Holiday was week before so I guess it wont be crazy busy. They also open later that day at 12 noon. I'm not sure why. Isn't it usually 10 am?

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby defrocker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:35 am

You'll be there during the between time. It's not Summer, and it's not Halloween yet. Whenever you see reduced park hours, you can assume the park is not expecting to be crowded.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby tanthonyam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Great. I was hoping that. Let's just hope the weather is ok

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Just came back from the park after checking out Bierfest, and it's pretty busy. This is also the last day to ride DarKastle before they set up the Frostbite Howl-o-Scream maze in the show building.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:18 pm

cfc wrote:Just came back from the park after checking out Bierfest, and it's pretty busy. This is also the last day to ride DarKastle before they set up the Frostbite Howl-o-Scream maze in the show building.

What is the beer selection looking like this year?
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:55 pm

It tends to change a bit each weekend. Beer from many Virginia breweries, such as O'Connor, Alewerks, and Center of the Universe, are there.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby defrocker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 am

I was also there yesterday. There was a really good crowd and Bier Fest seems to be a hit. Didn't realize that Darkastle was finishing up now. Really glad we got a ride in on it. Some of the coasters were showing lines approaching or exceeding an hour. One complaint that I do have though is that InvadR was only running one train. I have no idea how long that wait would've been but way in excess of an hour, for sure. Not sure why they were only running one, but it had to have been due to maintenance I would assume.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:13 am

^BGW running only one train on any coaster (with the exception of Tempesto, of course) is unusual--the other train probably needed some work.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:33 pm

cfc wrote:^BGW running only one train on any coaster (with the exception of Tempesto, of course) is unusual--the other train probably needed some work.

By the way, they were back to running two trains on InvadR today.

So, Bierfest? What's it all about, anyway? Well, besides beer? As the name says, there is beer, and lots of it. There's also some good food and German culture to go along with it.

Here's a look at Bierfest, with a bit of Howl-o-Scream prep thrown in for good measure.
001.jpg
Does this make you think of Howl-o-Scream or pumpkin ale? Both? More HOS prep later. For now, our focus is on . . .
002.jpg
. . . Bierfest central in, appropriately enough, Oktoberfest.
003.jpg
Here's one set of bars in the shadow of DarKastle.
004.jpg
This will become the Open Casket bar during HOS.
004a.jpg
Prefer cider to beer? BGW has you covered.
005.jpg
You can purchase a sampler plan here in the Oktoberfest games area. You can buy them at the bars, too.
006.jpg
$22 gets you ten four-ounce samples. The plans can be used in the Brauhaus, pretzel bakery, and Grogan's Pub, too.
007.jpg
This was the lineup today, but it changes a bit each weekend. If you're a pumpkin-ale fan, Alewerks makes a very good one.
007a.jpg
Not sure what sort of beer you might like? This sign could help.
008.jpg
And don't forget the festive food.
009.jpg
Wasserhund Oktoberfest and Jaegerschnitzel, anyone?
010.jpg
Barrels + sausages = theming.
011.jpg
These guys put on a fun show in front of the Festhaus. I'm not sure it they'll be back each weekend or if they were just here for Labor Day. Oktoberzest was still running in the Festhaus, too.
012.jpg
"Pint glasses are for wimps!"
013.jpg
Get your oompah on . . .
014.jpg
. . . and polka with your bad self.
015.jpg
Obligatory coaster shot. Let's have a look at HOS prep.
016.jpg
The "Evil Encore" is taking another encore.
017.jpg
DarKastle is going to be "Frostbite"--this year's new maze. I'm curious to see what they do. I imagine the ride's projector equipment will come into play.
018.jpg
I wonder if this will be Frostbite's Quick Queue entrance, too.
019.jpg
If you want soft-serve ice cream, you'll have to get it in Festa Italia or England. The shop in Germany is transitioning to an escape room.
020.jpg
They're heeding the advice spoken in "Young Frankenstein" in the German village: "Ven monsters ist loose, . . .
021.jpg
. . . boards must be tight!"
022.jpg
Festa Italia is getting ready for Circo Sinistro . . .
023.jpg
. . . and Ireland is prepping for Fiends.
024.jpg
This makes people think of lots of pumpkin ale.
025.jpg
Time to head home under the comforting presence of pure evil in Scotland.
026.jpg
But maybe one last stop on the way . . .
027.jpg
. . . for a Scotch egg. This was one of my favorites at the Food and Wine Festival a few years ago, and it's back for Bierfest.
028.jpg
Enjoy your beer now, because BGW is going to scare it out of you later. Thanks for reading.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 pm

I've never actually seen any kind of "beer chart" that I can remember. So seeing this one was awesome!
Thanks for posting the pic of it, Chuck. Now I can figure out what I really REALLY like. :smile:

And all that Bierfest.... definitely a good (looking) event put on by the park. Great TR, Chuck!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!