TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a press release about the grand opening of Europe in the Air and Celtic Fyre.

Fans flocked to Busch Gardens' Ireland village Friday morning for the launch of the park's newest family-friendly attraction, "Europe in the Air." The high-tech motion simulator swoops guests across gorgeous terrain and past the continent's most recognizable landmarks. Guests dive low over Stonehenge, soar past Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany and float over the Colosseum in Rome. With amazing sharp video quality and incredible surround sound, "Europe in the Air" puts guests in the middle of all the action.

Across the pavilion at the Abbey Stone Theatre, Busch Gardens' entertainment team has put the final touches on "Celtic Fyre," the park's newest live show. "Celtic Fyre" features authentic Irish choreography, storytelling, singing, music and the magic of Irish dance. With a cast of singers, Irish dancers and musicians, guests will be clapping their hands and shouting "Erin Go Bragh."

"Busch Gardens continously reinvents itself to keep the park fresh for out guests," said park President John Reilly. "Busch Gardens offers more than just thrill rides. With the addition of Europe in the Air and Celtic Fyre, we have added to our already strong stable of family-friendly attractions here at Busch Gardens."

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment operates 10 parks across the U.S. including SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego, and San Antonio; Busch Gardens parks in Tampa, Fla. And Williamsburg; Discovery Cove and Aquatica in Orlando; Sesame Place near Philadelphia, Pa.; and water parks Adventure Island in Tampa and Water Country USA in Williamsburg.

The parks play host to 25 millions guests each year and employ 26,000 people nationwide. To learn more visit http://www.SeaWorldParksAndEntertainment.com or call toll-free (888)800-5447. Additionally, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment created the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, a non-profit, private charitable foundation committed to supporting wildlife and habitat conservation, research, education and animal rescue programs worldwide. Learn more at SWBG-ConservationFund.org.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=EITA_MNR_ltqk[/coastertube]

BN0430OK01_042H.jpg.e6ce92cd9f9934de30f53030eec3f47d.jpg

Musicians in the Irish village at Busch Gardens entertain guests before the debut of the theme park's newest high-tech simulator ride and new Irish dance show.

BN0430OK01_038H.jpg.55b1c68711fb1ff84438b8e366f8473f.jpg

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell talks with Busch Gardens' team members before the debut of the theme park's two newest attractions, a simulator ride and Irish dance show.

BN0430OK01_035H.jpg.005224cb2fb5cd57e461a4bd8e1b3a90.jpg

Today, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell greets guests at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg Va., to announce the opening of its newest family-friendly attraction, "Europe in the Air."

BN0430OK01_027H.jpg.c864d8f2326611b14ab5a2370b2c7331.jpg

The Mayor of Killarney greets guests at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. to announce the opening of its newest simulator ride and show.

BN0430OK01_026H.jpg.e6a759259967a540adb0168707024632.jpg

Busch Gardens' President John Reilly and Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell help guests celebrate the debut of the theme park's newest high-tech simulator and Irish dance show at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg Va. "Europe in the Air" and "Celtic Fyre" officially opens to guests Saturday, May , 2010.

BN0430OK01_019H.jpg.0c8735afce9fda5581b24f4d4eae46b0.jpg

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell greets fans at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. Friday morning during the launch of the theme park's newest family-friendly attraction, "Europe in the Air."

BN0430OK01_002H.jpg.a913d44d6afc9d4c346e6b2df7e72f2f.jpg

"Celtic Fyre," a new show at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg Va., is an Irish celebration filled with stories, singers, musicians and the magic of Irish dance.

BN0430OK01_001H.jpg.e5c40680331935ab7f05ab936550fdd8.jpg

"Europe in the Air," a new high-tech simulator at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg Va., takes guests on a fun-filled journey across the terrain, over the seas and through the air over Europe.

Edited by cfc

So, will it be in Rhineland, considering there's a big open spot there?

Der Fallinschnell....not as catchy as Der Fallinfast, but it's a correct translation at the very least.

I'm going to get momentum going for Der Fallinfast. I highly doubt they'll have a naming competition, but dammit, that should be the name!!!!

Memo to anyone from Busch management who reads this site: NAME IT DER FALLINFAST!!!!

^^I find it ironic that that flutist is playing a modern, silver-plated western concert flute in C, whilst Celtic flute/fife/oboe related instruments were made totally of wood, had no keywork (only holes) or were reeded without keywork. Why name it Celtic Fyre if they can't even convincingly theme it to the average 14 year old?

My little criticisms...I might require mental help.

So time for a mini TR.

I went to BG yesterday and it was mostly the same. The rides were running well. Props to the AC crew as they were blazing through the lines. And on my last ride in the back row none of the trims or even the brakes in the MCBR engaged...such a fast ride. Anyway as for the new attractions, I thought Celtic Fyre was good. I am a little partial to the more traditional music but BG has a good show.

Europe in the Air I did not end up riding because when I took a friend on Griffon for the first time (she did not look happy at the holding brake) the rest of my group rode EITA...and none of them liked it. They said it was jerky and gave them headaches...and they just compared it to Soarin'. My sister also said the screen lit up the walls revealing "wheels and things" which ruined the effect. I also don't really like where the attraction is at all. It is still in a castle and the line is still in a cave. I thought it was supposed to be like an airplane thing. Anyway it was a popular attraction: at some points the line was out of the castle.

Other than that not much has changed... Oh except for the gaping hole in the landscape where BBW (God rest its soul) used to be. That and the huge chocolate chip muffins they had in the England bakery/fudge shop are now just regular size.

Another mini trip report:

I went to the NASCAR race in Richmond this weekend and on the way home I ran into BGW just to ride Europe in the Air. My wife and I arrived at the park at 11am and sailed right through the gate with no waiting. This was my third trip to the park this year and it was the least crowded I had seen it.

We went strait to Ireland and got in line. First, they added some additional lighting to the cave like entrance so its not as dark as it was with Corkscrew Hill. When you get to the first part of the pre-show there are pictures of Europe all over the walls, it looks nice and still smells of fresh paint. You then went into another pre-show where you learn about the ride you are about to take over Europe.

As for the ride, I liked it. The screen was huge and the pictures were crystal clear. They had huge fans mounted on each side of the screen to help with the illusion of flight. The ride was smooth, it wasn't a jerky as I remember Corkscrew Hill being. It also seemed to be a long ride.

We left and headed right out to the parking lot, the entire trip lasted about 35 minutes. In my opinion its a great ride. Soarin' it is not, but as for a replacement of an existing ride Busch Gardens did a great job.

Europe in the Air is a "safe" addition to the park. Its very low on the thrills and caters to a low thrills seekeing audience.

As for Mystery Tower 2011, nothing of any significance I could see around Octoberfest...

My idea. They could be removing the bumper cars building... The bumpercars can be built anywhere in the park and that location needs to draw more attention to that part of the park...

• 2 weeks later...

http://buschgardensva.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/making-coasters-accessible/

Busch Gardens is pleased to announce the purchase of a separate harness, from ride manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, that will allow some guests with amputations to ride three of our biggest roller coasters.

In the past, Alpengeist, Apollo’s Chariot and Griffon have had rather restrictive manufacturer requirements for guests with amputations. In previous seasons, guests could not ride Apollo’s Chariot if they had an amputation above the ankle. Guests who had an amputation above the knee could not ride Alpengeist or Griffon.

These new separate harnesses will allow some guests with disabilities and amputations to ride where they couldn’t before. With the assistance of the harness, guests are able to ride Apollo’s Chariot if they have an amputation at or below the knee. Guests with a single amputation above the knee are now capable of riding Alpengeist and Griffon.

Our pursuit of and investment in this harness emphasizes the commitment of Busch Gardens to safety, while allowing us to accommodate guests who have been unable to enjoy the thrill of these three roller coasters. While not all guests with disabilities will be able to ride, we hope that the installation of these harnesses will allow more to enjoy the thrilling drop on Griffon, the inversions on Alpengeist and the hair-raising airtime on Apollo’s Chariot.

Rob

Park Operations Manager

^Very nice. BGW has made another accomodation to disabled guests by moving their wheelchair and stroller rentals to a new building just behind the ticket booths (it used to be just past the turnstiles of the front gate in a rather congested area).

by themeparkologist » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 pm

^^I find it ironic that that flutist is playing a modern, silver-plated western concert flute in C, whilst Celtic flute/fife/oboe related instruments were made totally of wood, had no keywork (only holes) or were reeded without keywork. Why name it Celtic Fyre if they can't even convincingly theme it to the average 14 year old?

My little criticisms...I might require mental help.

The silver flute pictured here is not from Celtic Fyre.

Edited by taleilad

• 2 weeks later...

With the water canons they have added a little "drive a mini boat" attraction in a corner of the Pompeii reservoir. Its like $.5 to drive a toy boat...

Also, I found a post. It's a 6 ft tall 4x4 post in the mulch work next to the Kataplut (Scrambler). There where no survey markers or paint lines nearby. Just a post stuck in the ground not apart of the scenery. It felt like to me it may had been used as a vantage point marker. The gully behind it isn't too deep and if filled in and leveled it could provide a decent way to "connect" the two parts of Oktoberfest. Not to mention it would b e a good place for a Drop Tower.

With the water canons they have added a little "drive a mini boat" attraction in a corner of the Pompeii reservoir. Its like $.5 to drive a toy boat...

Also, I found a post. It's a 6 ft tall 4x4 post in the mulch work next to the Kataplut (Scrambler). There where no survey markers or paint lines nearby. Just a post stuck in the ground not apart of the scenery. It felt like to me it may had been used as a vantage point marker. The gully behind it isn't too deep and if filled in and leveled it could provide a decent way to "connect" the two parts of Oktoberfest. Not to mention it would b e a good place for a Drop Tower.

Hmm, good find.

http://bgwfans.com/?p=909

The Board of Supervisors held their June meeting tonight, officially awarding Busch Gardens the height waiver they requested back on April 28. The county recognizes that the park is in a highly competitive industry and does not require them to give specifics about new attractions but I was able to gain a few bits of information about the forthcoming tower.

The first, and most interesting, bit of info is an overhead view of the park and a dot where the tower will be located. Many, including myself had heard that Katapult was likely to be moved to make room for the tower. However, if you zoom in on the picture, the dot appears to be on the side of the path which once housed Big Bad Wolf.

Perhaps Katapult will remain in place and the empty area beside the old Big Bad Wolf station will house the drop tower. Furthermore, perhaps the Big Bad Wolf station is still there to be used as the beginning of a queue for the tower.

The second bit of info was compliments of one of the board members. It appeared he was trying to discuss the ride dynamics but make sure he didn’t say too much. His comments were in regards to a Kingsmill resident voicing concern regarding the noise the new ride could generate. He stated that not all of the riders would be facing the same way. Now, before you jump down my throat about the fact that drop towers normally have passengers on four sides, the only reason I mention it is to suggest that you shouldn’t expect a Tower of Terror style ride.

The third thing was that it was mentioned that the tower was thin so it won’t block any light or be an eyesore. Again, I’m aware that most drop towers are thin, I only mention this bit of info to suggest that the tower will likely not be fully enclosed. This shouldn’t be a shock to anyone.