TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

A message from your Friendly Neighborhood Site Moderator:

Please do not post links to BGW Fans on TPR. We do not support that particular group, and they have caused trouble here in the past.

Thank you for understanding. If the policy changes, we'll let you know.

The Virginia German Beer Festival (Bier Fest) kicks off at Busch Gardens this Friday, August 17 with over 50 different breweries, local brewery talks, and a variety of German and other snacks including shepherd's pie, scotch eggs, and a variety of German sausages, pretzels, etc. A 10 beer sampler (4oz pours) is $24 including tax. I may head down on Friday after dropping my daughter off at college. Sample a few beers, ride a coaster, sample a few more beers, ride another coaster...

In this weeks WTF news...

Teen charged with assaulting officer after dog rescued from car in Busch Gardens parking lot

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/teen-charged-with-assaulting-officer-after-dog-rescued-from-car-in-busch-gardens-parking-lot/1368416198

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WRIC) -- A teen accused of leaving a young dog in a parked vehicle outside of Busch Gardens is facing several charges after police say he attacked the officer who rescued the animal from the car.

Williamsburg Police tell 8News an officer was flagged down at around 4:45 p.m. on Monday to assist a dog locked a vehicle that was parked in the amusement park's France lot. The officer found a young pit bull in distress inside a vehicle that was not running with each window shut.

After several attempts to locate the owner, the officer used a tool to open the door and remove the dog from the vehicle.

When the owner returned to the parking lot, he confronted the officer but began to walk away after the officer attempted to detain him. That's when police say the 17-year-old turned around to strike the officer, and a struggle ensued as the officer attempted to take the teen into custody.

The 17-year-old was booked at Merrimac Detention Center and charged with assaulting a law enforcement officer, possession of marijuana and animal cruelty.

Both the teen and officer reportedly suffered minor injuries during the incident, according to police.

Animal Control responded to the scene and took the dog into custody.

So I've been in Williamsburg this week and have been visiting Busch Gardens most days here and of the three days so far this week (Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday) Tempesto has been down. Can anyone tell me if it has been down for awhile and/or if it is a recent thing? Does this happen a lot with it? I really want to get the credit before I leave and I have all the others.

Howdy folks

We plan on visiting Water Country USA for the first time this Saturday. We'll definitely arrive promptly before park opening. That being said, is it the best strategy to start with the slides at the front first (Colossal Curl, Wild Thang, Rampage, Malibu Pipeline, and Jet Scream), then work our way towards the back (Big Daddy Falls, Aquazoid, Nitro Racer, Vanish Point, and Meltdown)? Or should we approach the park a different way? We'll only be spending the first half of the day there, then checking out Colonial Williamsburg afterwards. BGW will be done on Sunday (we're already familiar with it). Also, are there any good places for lunch at the water park?

Thanks in advance

This is a developing situation with a bunch of conflicting reports coming in but it appears that there's a fire involving the park's train ride in New France.

shT9kbA.jpg

Source: Reddit

Dkv0WIMXoAAgfMZ.jpg:large

Source: In the Loop

WAVY TV in Hampton Roads is claiming that the fire department has confirmed that there was at least one injury. Again though, this seems like one of those all-too-familiar stories where lots of conflicting information pours in at once and it takes awhile to sift through everything.

Howdy folks

We plan on visiting Water Country USA for the first time this Saturday. We'll definitely arrive promptly before park opening. That being said, is it the best strategy to start with the slides at the front first (Colossal Curl, Wild Thang, Rampage, Malibu Pipeline, and Jet Scream), then work our way towards the back (Big Daddy Falls, Aquazoid, Nitro Racer, Vanish Point, and Meltdown)? Or should we approach the park a different way? We'll only be spending the first half of the day there, then checking out Colonial Williamsburg afterwards. BGW will be done on Sunday (we're already familiar with it). Also, are there any good places for lunch at the water park?

Thanks in advance

I can't think of any particularly great food at Water Country--just the usual burgers, chicken tenders, pizza, and fries.

I'd hit Colossal Curl first, then head for Malibu Pipeline, Big Daddy Falls, and Aquazoid. Be sure to hang out in the Hubba Hubba Highway, too. This is Meltdown's last season, so it might be a bit busy.

Edited by cfc

I can't think of any particularly great food at Water Country--just the usual burgers, chicken tenders, pizza, and fries.

I'd hit Colossal Curl first, then head for Malibu Pipeline, Big Daddy Falls, and Aquazoid. Be sure to hang out in the Hubba Hubba Highway, too. This is Meltdown's last season, so it might be a bit busy.

Thank you for the advice - we had a wonderful time! Such a great water park!

Need some input, is BGW’s Christmas Town event worth a ~3 hour drive to get there? My family is moving to the Raleigh-Durham area fairly soon, and while I’m visiting them over Christmas I’m considering swinging by the park if there’s enough rides open and enough fun things to do.

After my trip to Cedar Point this past week, although I enjoyed it, I came away appreciating Busch Gardens more then I previously did. That may be a really unpopular opinion, but oh well.

I don't think these feelings have to be mutually exclusive. I love CP, have grown up with it as a regular, and important part of my life, and consider it my favorite Amusement Park. Just for pure thrills, I don't think it can be matched, and even if I ever make it overseas, I doubt that'll change. However, I also LOVE BGW, and what it brings to the table is entirely different in its package form than CP! I haven't even been to BGW since before Griffen and Verbolten, and it's one of my top parks in the country, that's how great it is in all of the little things! Plus, it has a great collection of rides and coasters! So yeah, I think it's a treasure, and deserves to be appreciated! I sure hope to finally get back next year to appreciate it some more myself!

Need some input, is BGW’s Christmas Town event worth a ~3 hour drive to get there? My family is moving to the Raleigh-Durham area fairly soon, and while I’m visiting them over Christmas I’m considering swinging by the park if there’s enough rides open and enough fun things to do.

The event is mostly about the decorations, shows, and food. The park looks great, and there are lights everywhere. The only coaster they've run the last few years is Verbolten, but I think all the flats have been operating.

After my trip to Cedar Point this past week, although I enjoyed it, I came away appreciating Busch Gardens more then I previously did. That may be a really unpopular opinion, but oh well.

I don't think these feelings have to be mutually exclusive. I love CP, have grown up with it as a regular, and important part of my life, and consider it my favorite Amusement Park. Just for pure thrills, I don't think it can be matched, and even if I ever make it overseas, I doubt that'll change. However, I also LOVE BGW, and what it brings to the table is entirely different in its package form than CP! I haven't even been to BGW since before Griffen and Verbolten, and it's one of my top parks in the country, that's how great it is in all of the little things! Plus, it has a great collection of rides and coasters! So yeah, I think it's a treasure, and deserves to be appreciated! I sure hope to finally get back next year to appreciate it some more myself!

I agree with you in regard to that, but it's just I found myself missing the theming and greenery.

Both are great, but they are different. I just didn't realize how much I enjoyed certain elements of BGW.