TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

I just wish most of Verbolten wasn't weak, boring, and slightly uncomfortable. I really wish I could see what Intamin or Mack could've done in that space. I'd even give Verbolten up in a heartbeat to experience BBW one time.

I will totally give you the exposed show building thing, but I just don't understand what makes Verbolten weak, boring, and uncomfortable. The station and queue are very well-themed (as they should be) and the indoor section is dark and mysterious (as it should be). The launches have good kicks, and the indoor section is typical large Zierer, having tight curves and spirals that are intense but not gray-out-inducing. The drop track is the best example of its kind. The drop toward the river is just as iconic as Big Bad Wolf's was and is still one of the most beautiful settings for a coaster element in the United States.

I just wish most of Verbolten wasn't weak, boring, and slightly uncomfortable. I really wish I could see what Intamin or Mack could've done in that space. I'd even give Verbolten up in a heartbeat to experience BBW one time.

I will totally give you the exposed show building thing, but I just don't understand what makes Verbolten weak, boring, and uncomfortable. The station and queue are very well-themed (as they should be) and the indoor section is dark and mysterious (as it should be). The launches have good kicks, and the indoor section is typical large Zierer, having tight curves and spirals that are intense but not gray-out-inducing. The drop track is the best example of its kind. The drop toward the river is just as iconic as Big Bad Wolf's was and is still one of the most beautiful settings for a coaster element in the United States.

FWIW, I grayed out half the time on one of the curves, but it's already dark inside, so it's harder to notice than on Backlot.

I have a feeling BGW pushed for more intensity to try to keep up with BGT and Cheetah Hunt, and the end result, while I wouldn't call "weak" (except if comparing to other multi-launch coasters), is pretty awkward. It feels like Zierer were out of their element with the extra speed. Their previous major coasters, Pepsi Orange Streak and Jaguar, had the curves and helices, but took them slower and much more gracefully. And, the show building (wolf scene aside) does not compare to zipping about the Mall of America or shooting through the loop of Montezooma's Revenge.

What made the Wolf's ending legendary wasn't just the view, but the swinging through those turns. The view might be a little clearer without track over your head - and nicely framed by the "bridge" piece they built, but after that, it's just long and rattly (after five years, already worrying) fast turns over water, and there's already a better long and rattly fast turn over water at the same park (the turnaround on Apollo's, rattly when sitting near the back).

Edited by SLCHeadache

I really liked Verbolten the one time I rode it opening year. Really unique and cool ride. Is it the best ride in Busch Gardens? In my opinion no not really. The biggest thing there for me is those nice B&Ms. AC is the first B&M Mega Coaster and remains one of my favorite roller coasters today.

I love Verbolten. My girlfriend who is not a hardcore enthusias enjoyed the ride. She loved the black forest indoor portion.

This, I had the same exact experience with my girlfriend last visit as well. Verbolten was her favorite ride there. I can’t see how you can classify it as weak and boring. I think its a bit more on the forceful side especially for its target audience.

I absolutely love Verbolten, I had no idea it even had a drop track the very first time I went on it. It was awesome and I wish I bought that video for our reactions lol

The view near the water is still awesome and I've never had any issues feeling uncomfortable when it comes to riding it.

Uncomfortable: I didn't like the restraints or seats very much. Not a big deal, but noticeably uncomfortable for me. The coaster also had some shuffling/tracking problems in Aug, 2012.

Weak: I thought the launches were ok. And the helix in the building is fun, but all other coaster-y bits are forceless - Esp. after the second launch. I really wanted to like it, but the entire second half did nothing for me.

Boring: The numerous brakeruns, slow sections, and full stops really kill the pacing throughout this ride. When you compare this ride to other family multi-launch-style coasters, (Manta, Cheetah Hunt, Firechaser, even the backlot coasters) I find them all more fun than Verbolten.

I'm apparently in the minority here, but that's fine. I'm glad you all like it so much. I appreciate most of the theming that went into it and I'm glad they incorporated some of the beautiful river/trees setting from BBW, but it still never met my expectations.

Yeah i suppose there's some pacing issues with the brake runs (other than the drop track of course), but I don't think it makes the ride boring. It's certainly not perfect, but it's at least better than Pepsi Orange Streak and the Backlot Stunt coasters smh

Yeah i suppose there's some pacing issues with the brake runs (other than the drop track of course), but I don't think it makes the ride boring. It's certainly not perfect, but it's at least better than Pepsi Orange Streak and the Backlot Stunt coasters smh

Having ridden Back Lot Stunt Coaster, Firechaser Express and Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando (All rides that would put in the group of trying to deliver the same experience) I’d rank Verbtolten as better than BLSC and Firechaser but not as good as Mummy.

The numerous brakeruns, slow sections, and full stops really kill the pacing throughout this ride. When you compare this ride to other family multi-launch-style coasters, (Manta, Cheetah Hunt, Firechaser, even the backlot coasters) I find them all more fun than Verbolten.

I guess the stop-and-go ride fits the theme. It also makes for excellent capacity, I've heard of five trains on one circuit. But it throws away the biggest advantage of a multi-launch, the ability to have relentless pacing.

As for the other family launch coasters: Backlot is underrated. After the grayout helix, the intensity is finely balanced. I've heard complaints because the one at KI ruins the view from their Eiffel Tower. I'm told Firechaser is gentler still - but that's not a bad thing, because it also has a lower minimum height, making it better at being the park's family coaster.

Edited by SLCHeadache

Boring: The numerous brakeruns, slow sections, and full stops really kill the pacing throughout this ride. When you compare this ride to other family multi-launch-style coasters, (Manta, Cheetah Hunt, Firechaser, even the backlot coasters) I find them all more fun than Verbolten.

Wait, let me get this right... Firechaser Express has a slow lift hill in the middle of the ride... Followed by a mid-course brake run that greatly slows down the train... and then the train comes to a complete stop in the show building before the launch backwards. But Verbolten has terrible pacing??

Anyways, enough Verbolten talk from me...

Really looking forward to my visit back to the park next month!

Wait, let me get this right... Firechaser Express has a slow lift hill in the middle of the ride... Followed by a mid-course brake run that greatly slows down the train... and then the train comes to a complete stop in the show building before the launch backwards. But Verbolten has terrible pacing??

Anyways, enough Verbolten talk from me...

Really looking forward to my visit back to the park next month!

Lol, yeah the lift is in the middle of the ride... I don't even like Firechaser that much - It's pretty stop-and-go, but I feel like it accomplishes what Verbolten tried to (even with a much lower height requirement). I also just think it's coaster-y bits are much more fun and zippy than Verbolten's coaster-y bits (everything after the second launch is SO weak).

To be honest, I still haven't really been impressed with any of Zierer's submissions into the large coaster department. Wicked has a great first section, but dies out shortly after. Impulse felt like a worse Eurofighter to me, pretty forgettable sadly. And Verbolten... I wish them luck in the future though.

I just read someone's review of the park on yelp and they said that if you use quick queue you will not be able to choose your row on most of the coasters. Is that true? I'm visiting the park next week (April 2nd or 3rd) and I was going to get quick queue, but not being able to pick my own row is an absolute deal breaker...

I just read someone's review of the park on yelp and they said that if you use quick queue you will not be able to choose your row on most of the coasters. Is that true?

Just used it last year. Second row was the only row I could ride in on Apollo's Chariots... and second row back were the only rows I could ride in on Alpengeist. Nothing else was a problem!! (But that was just my experience)

Thanks for the info. That's really disappointing as those are the 2 that I am looking forward to riding the most. Hopefully the crowds won't be too bad when I visit in the early days (Tues or Wed) of the spring break week.

I was there in 2014. In my own experience, I was not assigned a row for Alpengeist. The quick queue merged with the regular queue at the loading area and I was allowed to wait the extra time for the front. I was assigned a row for Apollo's Chariot though, where the quick queue waited at the exit.

I just read someone's review of the park on yelp and they said that if you use quick queue you will not be able to choose your row on most of the coasters. Is that true?

Just used it last year. Second row was the only row I could ride in on Apollo's Chariots... and second row back were the only rows I could ride in on Alpengeist. Nothing else was a problem!! (But that was just my experience)

We were just at the park on Sunday. InvadR has been added to the Quick Queue. Row 6 is permanently blocked off in the station and exclusively for Quick Queue guests that come up the exit ramp. They were sending train after train with that row empty. Meanwhile, at Verbolten, the line attendant was letting Quick Queue and accessibility pass guests into the main station and choose any row they liked. They only had one of the two loading areas operating at the time and three trains cycling.

Having ridden both Verbolten and Back Lot (KD) again this weekend, both are totally f*$king awesome little coasters. Got a front seat ride on both and they both went up a bit in my rankings, Verbolten significantly. I think the pacing is great and I love the indoor section. The only point where it loses steam is the drop track section which is a highlight of the ride, and the slowdown/pause on the bridge only adds to the drama of the drop down over the river. The minimal themeing in the black forest is perfect and still looks good. There's not really any airtime to be found anywhere but its still equally thrilling and just flat out enjoyable for me. I regret not riding it more than once yesterday. Also, the trains are one of my favorites.

Backlot meanders a bit during the first half, and was running reeeeally slow, almost not making it up the helix, but the tunnel section and drop out of it under the queue is a fantastic finale to a zippy little ride. Alternately, the trains on this are cute but getting in/out really blows. Can't compare either to Firechaser as I haven't ridden it.

Also, I'll have a full report but we had such a great time at this park yesterday. Happy to have finally found that craft room @ the Festhaus. Also, Mach Tower was kind to us for once! Such a great line-up of rides, but I need to talk about Alpengeist. Holy f*$ing shit that ride. The cold air added only to the themeing. Front seat all the way, but the back on those snappy parts, good god.

Also, unpopular opinion: but Loch Ness Monster is awful. Sorry, I gave it another chance, and it once again attempted to rearrange my spine.

I've been debating doing a quick write up of our visit yesterday but I don't know how many times I can say things like...

- Everything was perfect

- The rides are awesome

- The beer selection is great

- The employees are awesome and in mid-season form

...with no criticism of any kind and not have my BGW trip reports come off as a commercial for the park.

But yeah that's my report. Their B&M collection, Verbolten, Mach Tower and Pompeii are f*cking phenomenal and the other coasters and rides are all great too. The park is gorgeous. I love this park and everything in it.

The end.

Happy to have finally found that craft room @ the Festhaus.

Damn straight.

29542232_10214569132576408_7376724753052747828_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=656758c38abafe96d0a84378f932f483&oe=5B2FB44A

Edited by coasterbill

^That sums up BGW quite well. It's still my favorite theme park for sure. Compared with other parks I've been to it's not one I really think of what new rides would improve the park often as I just love it all of it and worry how much a new ride would tamper with its amazingness.

Busch Gardens really is one of the best parks in the world. The only issue I've ever had (and it's not a knock against the park) is that it always seems to be 100 degrees with max humidity when I visit. Hoping to correct that with an April visit next month.

Busch Gardens really is one of the best parks in the world. The only issue I've ever had (and it's not a knock against the park) is that it always seems to be 100 degrees with max humidity when I visit. Hoping to correct that with an April visit next month.

which is why a stop at the Gelato shop is always a good plan (and then sit and watch the show in the theater (with tables) next door

Also, unpopular opinion: but Loch Ness Monster is awful. Sorry, I gave it another chance, and it once again attempted to rearrange my spine.

Aw man, that sucks to hear. Hopefully it's kinder to me when I head to the park in June, I rode it last in 2012 and freaking loved the thing. It's like a really fast, looping mine train.