TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I remember when Shanghai Disneyland was being built and there was talk of how the Chinese government wanted the major rides to all be unique and how they and Disney were concerned about "cultural imperialism." If any of that was actually true, I find it ironic that their most unique attraction is now coming to a US park.

That said, as a frequent WDW visitor, I couldn't care less and I'm stoked that Tron is coming!

• 2 weeks later...

Planning a trip for Feb I can either do the 4th-8th or the 11th-15th i would prefer the second option but I was curious if anyone has experience going the week of the Daytona 500 and if the park gets crowded that week. We plan on doing three of the parks Magic Kingdom, animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it looks like Disney is starting to close attractions and events due to the hurricane. This is the list as of today. I'm sure it will grow in the next day or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Disney only closed 5 tines since it opens?

Screenshot_20170907-192015.thumb.png.0275449e3211aa1d2f97edfe86490f28.png

Screenshot_20170907-192026.thumb.png.4c9a34e593504c1597a0939e90ba2708.png

Planning a trip for Feb I can either do the 4th-8th or the 11th-15th i would prefer the second option but I was curious if anyone has experience going the week of the Daytona 500 and if the park gets crowded that week. We plan on doing three of the parks Magic Kingdom, animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios.

I went to all the parks during the Daytona 500 week in 2011 and they weren't super packed from what I remember.

• 2 months later...

I don't want to step on anyone's toes if there will be coverage of this event tonight. But, there is a live stream on facebook from a local Fla TV station of tonight's " A Frozen Holiday Wish " castle lighting ceremonies for any of you Disney Castle or Frozen fans. The live stream starts at 8:10 pm tonight. Here's the link for more info - http://wfla.com/2017/11/09/tonight-watch-a-frozen-holiday-wish-castle-lighting-live-from-walt-disney-world/

• 3 weeks later...

Went to MK on Monday afternoon/evening(did Studios in the morning) and wow was it crowded, waited almost two hours for Haunted Mansion and never made it on the Jingle Cruise or the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Are crowds that size the norm now, even during a "Value" day?

We watched the Holiday special they ran on tv to kick off the holiday season and my kids were begging to go. To me it sounds like a nightmare of over crowding. Is it worth dealing with the crowds for the Holiday events?

^&^^

Disney is never really 'dead' anymore like you used to see. They do a very good job with special events, groups, and international guests to fill in the times of year that used to be empty. It takes some planning, but I don't understand ever waiting 2 hours for Mansion or missing out on something like Jingle Cruise.

That brings up a good point. We're in the very early stages of planning WDW. Never been before, but have been to both parks in Anaheim. I was able to get on everything by just having fastpasses for the big rides (Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, etc.) and riding things with lower wait times in between (Pirates, Star Tours, etc.). Does that strategy still work at MK too? I mean, I don't really care if Haunted Mansion is a two hour wait if we ride six other things during those two hours.

^&^^

Disney is never really 'dead' anymore like you used to see. They do a very good job with special events, groups, and international guests to fill in the times of year that used to be empty. It takes some planning, but I don't understand ever waiting 2 hours for Mansion or missing out on something like Jingle Cruise.

Our three days of parks is the last few days in Jan. so i am hoping it is fairly light crowds. I planned it so we will be at parks Monday-Wednesday. This was the cheapest I found rooms to be so heres to hoping minimal crowds are involved lol. Only thing I am sad about is the Toy Story Land not being ready but I am not brave enough with a 4 and 2 year old to attempt during the summer.

That brings up a good point. We're in the very early stages of planning WDW. Never been before, but have been to both parks in Anaheim. I was able to get on everything by just having fastpasses for the big rides (Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, etc.) and riding things with lower wait times in between (Pirates, Star Tours, etc.). Does that strategy still work at MK too? I mean, I don't really care if Haunted Mansion is a two hour wait if we ride six other things during those two hours.

Yes, that absolutely works at MK as well.

Yes, that absolutely works at MK as well.

Awesome, good to hear. Thanks!

Good plan. As mentioned by others, you really have to arrive before opening or EMH if they apply that day. I've been on the busiest days (I'm going this Christmas), and have never had a problem. This year, we will be at the gate in the dark at 6:30am for 7am opening. Will ride Seven Drawfs, Peter Pan, followed by the Frontier land rides, then adventure land. All rides will be under 30 minutes, some near walk ons. We will finish around 11am or 12pm to watch the parade and then head back to the hotel for lunch/a swim/A NAP/etc, while watching the hordes of crowds arrive. After supper, we will return and use our FP on Space Mountain, Drawfs, Thunder, and watch the fireworks. Tip: try to make a FP after fireworks to allow the crowds to leave, it's almost unbearable after fireworks, be prepared. This strategy works for all the other parks too, as I would never find myself in a Disney park, during afternoon at Christmas.

I visited last week and I was amazed how busy the park was, but fortunately I planned like a ninja before we left - my friends all gently mocked me for getting Fastpass+ a month in advance for what was supposed to be a quiet week and stressing out about timings/restaurant reservations, but I had the last laugh when we walked onto almost all of the e-ticket rides, had time to have a proper sit-down meal and then only had to queue for Seven Dwarfs and a couple of re-rides. It also gave us time to do things like the People Mover and Carousel of Progress which I hadn't done before.

It's really good Disney are filling the parks; a busy park is a successful park (at least when it is a well-run park). Hollywood Studios was bit of a buzzkill because a lot of things were closed with the redevelopment but obviously this is a necessary evil and hopefully it will be worth the wait(times). I planned ahead again, so still managed to get on everything.

^&^^

The Haunted Mansion was odd since they had 60 minutes listed on the entrance and on the app, but it ended up being almost two hours mainly due to the FastPass line being just as long, they filled 90% of the room with FastPass peeps then topped it off with folks from the standby line. We were in line for Jingle Cruise for about 10 minutes and then they came of the loud speaker telling us our 90 minute wait was now 170 minutes so we bailed. This was the Monday after Thanksgiving, we did the Studios in the morning and when we were able to get FastPasses for MK most of them were gone.

I think sometimes when an attraction goes down for an extended period of time they still honor the fastpasses from that period when it re-opens which throws off the standby wait times pretty significantly. Last weekend when I was at Magic Kingdom Space Mountain was closed for about 80 minutes, I had a fastpass for that period of time that I could either save or use for something different. When it re-opened I was at the entrance and jumped in the standby line thinking it would be short and I could use the fasstpass for something else, walked all the way into the station next to the control tower, then waited probably 40 minutes because they were only merging in maybe 10 standby guests to every 150 fast pass guests because the fastpass line was backed up halfway to the enterance.

Same thing happened earlier in the day at Jungle Crusie, chatting with a cast member near the load platform the ride was temporarily closed to inspect some lighting so when it re-opened the fast pass return was spilling out into the midway. We were using fast passes and still probably waited 30+ mins so I'd imagine the standby line at that time was 90-120 minutes easily because of it.

Forgive my ignorance as I know next to nothing about the hardcore Disney fan scene (something I'm very grateful for) so hopefully this source is legitimate but WDW News Today is reporting that Stitch’s Great Escape is finally going to die. It will open again on December 23 and will run through January 6th. After that it will permanently close.

Again, forgive me for not knowing more about this source, but sources that are generally reliable have been sharing the story so I thought it was worth bringing up.

Personally this is one of the worst rides I've ever ridden in my entire life. I enjoy the property a lot so hopefully it's not the last we see of it at Walt Disney World, but this attraction is horrible.