Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 841 - Eye of the Storm (Larson SuperLoop) added for 2017
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:01 am

Diamondbacker27 wrote:How does Storm Chaser compare to other RMCs? I made it out to the park a few weeks ago and rode it. It was my first RMC and I throughly enjoyed it, but I was wondering how others shape up next to it.

Ridden Storm Chaser, Joker, Twisted Colossus, Goliath, Lightning Rod, and Wicked Cyclone.

It's really tough for me to rank all of them. I tend to shuffle around my order of favorites, which just goes to show that they are all amazing in their own way and it's more a personal preference what you like better. SC is the only one I've ridden with the inverted drop, which is super awesome, but I think I prefer the airtime drop of Joker. However, the airtime hills toward the end of SC are just crazy and thigh-crushing as well, which some people don't like. I haven't been on Outlaw Run (yet!!) but Lightning Rod and Goliath as ground-up wooden coasters also give a different experience, IMO, from the Iron Horse coasters. Also, how does anyone rank Twisted Colossus? The experience on that ride varies drastically depending on whether you duel and how synced up the dueling is.

Maybe this thread will help you see other's opinions and rankings of it.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:03 am

Awesome! Thank you guys! I definitely plan to ride SteVen next season and Lighting Rod sometime soon, as well as Goliath.
Wood-29
Steel- 74
Total- 103

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby jonskinny12 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am

Storm Chaser is awesome. It's better and more intense than I expected it to be. The bunny hops towards the end can be pretty uncomfortable but the rest of the ride is just fantastic. I think I preferred the back to the front because of how it pulls you through the drop. The zero g rolls are absolutely perfect, especially near the middle of the train.

I've only ridden two RMCs - Storm Chaser and Twisted Colossus, since Lightning Rod was down when I went to Dollywood in June. :cry: Comparing Storm Chaser to Twisted Colossus is tough because they're pretty different. I'd prefer Twisted Colossus simply because you get the drop twice but they're both excellent coaster.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:59 am

Diamondbacker27 wrote:How does Storm Chaser compare to other RMCs? I made it out to the park a few weeks ago and rode it. It was my first RMC and I throughly enjoyed it, but I was wondering how others shape up next to it.

If you liked this one then you'll like the rest as it pretty much does what all RMCs are known for. Out of the three that I've ridden, it's my least favorite, but that's not due to the size; it's because I'm not a fan of the way RMCs designs certain ejector air moments. Awkward / outward banked turns and the kind of severe bunny hops that propel you forward into the lapbar are my least favorite components of an RMC, and that's what this one seems to favor. For me, the first drop and the first hill were the best parts of Storm Chaser, but it's all about taste and preference. The main difference between this and the others I've ridden though is that RMC's non-inverting first drops are usually amazing, but the inverting ones (like this one) are much tamer by comparison). For what it's worth: NTAG's the best RMC I've ridden to date as it's closer to a traditional roller coaster design than a mechanical bull.

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:54 pm

As for the end of SC being uncomfortable, I couldn't agree more. It was a tad painful as well, but it was bearable. I really did love the drop, but I feel like I would've enjoyed it more had I rode in the back (I rode in the front.) I'm excited to ride Goliath, SteVen, and Lightning Rod mainly because they're all different in some way.
Wood-29
Steel- 74
Total- 103

Postby prozach626 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:34 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:However, the airtime hills toward the end of SC are just crazy and thigh-crushing as well, which some people don't like.

This. It didn't ruin the ride for me, but it didn't make me want to ride over and over again. We decided that we really liked the first half of the ride, but then we held on for dear life during the short hops at the end. In the end, Lightning Run won out over Storm Chaser as our favorite ride in the park. Storm Chaser was my first RMC conversion. I like Outlaw Run and Goliath better, with Outlaw Run being my clear favorite.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:01 pm

I can attest to them being vastly different, even tho I've only been on Storm Chaser and Lightning Rod. LRod differs from SC with its speed and the immense size of the ride's elements. Storm Chaser makes up for it's 100ft with insane ejecter airtime plastered on as many hills and elements as possible. SC's bunny hill moments are a little slower but a lot more abrupt and harsh, whereas LRod would blast through its quad-down a little more comfortably.

Complete digress from the topic, but for any interested, I finished the KK/KY State Fair video I mentioned before. (Storm Chaser footage at 2:54.)
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Postby prozach626 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Nice video. I may have to visit the park during the fair sometime.

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Awesome video! I was there on the first Saturday of the fair, I'm shocked how dead the park was. Most of the rides were walk on, besides T3. T3 was only running one train and we waited a good two hours for front row. The only thing in the park I haven't rode coaster wise is Thunder Run
Wood-29
Steel- 74
Total- 103

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:38 pm

prozach626 wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:However, the airtime hills toward the end of SC are just crazy and thigh-crushing as well, which some people don't like.

This. It didn't ruin the ride for me, but it didn't make me want to ride over and over again. We decided that we really liked the first half of the ride, but then we held on for dear life during the short hops at the end. In the end, Lightning Run won out over Storm Chaser as our favorite ride in the park. Storm Chaser was my first RMC conversion. I like Outlaw Run and Goliath better, with Outlaw Run being my clear favorite.

Of the RMCs I've been on, Storm Chaser is only ahead of Goliath. The final bunny hops are like a bucking bronco but I still found their intensity enjoyable. The main reason I rank Storm Chaser towards the bottom of the RMCs is the lack of a real first drop. That's my favorite element on all the other RMCs.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!