TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Well what a coincidence, Ed Hart did wonder why some people do not like Thunder Run at the last rides event lunch and some people did say it was a little rough. Guess the park is trying to make it the #1 wooden coaster that it was when it opened.

Personally, I don't think making it any smoother will make it a better ride. The layout is kind of boring, and even from the back seat there isn't much airtime. It's a decent introductory coaster, though.

Well what a coincidence, Ed Hart did wonder why some people do not like Thunder Run at the last rides event lunch and some people did say it was a little rough. Guess the park is trying to make it the #1 wooden coaster that it was when it opened.

Personally, I don't think making it any smoother will make it a better ride. The layout is kind of boring, and even from the back seat there isn't much airtime. It's a decent introductory coaster, though.

RMC can fix that

I think Thunder Run is just fine in comparison to what Kentucky Kingdom offers. I'm a big critic of rough coasters and it seemed very smooth, especially in comparison to what nearby Holiday World has to offer. I put Thunder Run in the category of one ride per visit. If the park had a few more larger and thrilling options I probably wouldn't pay any attention to it, but they don't.

I think Thunder Run is just fine in comparison to what Kentucky Kingdom offers. I'm a big critic of rough coasters and it seemed very smooth, especially in comparison to what nearby Holiday World has to offer.

I was just in the middle of writing the exact same thing. I enjoyed Thunder Run quite a bit. We made our first visit to Kentucky Kingdom and our first visit to Holiday World on the same day earlier this year and (while it won't make any top 10 lists) I thought Thunder Run was infinitely smoother and more enjoyable than Raven or Legend.

I didn't really find the ride rough at all, but a little track work is always welcome. Good for Kentucky Kingdom.

RMC can fix that

The irony is faaar too strong in this one, lol

I went to both Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World for the first time over this summer (along with Kings Island but nobody has mentioned that place). I absolutely LOVED all of the woodies I rode. Raven was pretty rough. Well, it was on and off throughout the day. I rode it ten times and I thought it was glossy smooth five times, I thought it was moderately rough twice, and I thought it was unbearably rough three times. I never even rode in the backseat. I thought the Legend was VERY smooth and I LOVED it. And Thunder Run. There is just something about it that I really loved. I loved all the low to the ground turns and I loved those ejector airtime hills. Plus I thought it was very smooth in the front seat. I rode it in the back and it was moderately rough. Although I am younger so I can take a little more jostling around.

RMC can fix that

The irony is faaar too strong in this one, lol

lol

• 2 weeks later...

WDRB just posted KK's announcement for 2018:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Kentucky Kingdom plans two new rides and two new attractions next season.

In a release, the park announced a new thrill ride called Scream Xtreme and a new family ride called Rock 'n Roller.

Two new films are being added to the 5D Cinema. The first look at the "Happy Family, The Ride" film is of an animated family complete with a Frankenstein. The second film is "Journey 2: Mysterious Island," which stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Kentucky Kingdom also plans to do extensive track work on the park's classic wooden coaster, "Thunder Run." Other upgrades for the park include new cabanas near the giant wave pool, more shade structures and new seating throughout the park.

President and CEO Ed Hart said in a release that the park had a record 2017 season drawing more than 9,000 visitors a day during the summer peak. More than 30 percent of those guests came from surrounding states.

Hart said when he and his partners, Ed Glasscock, Bruce Lunsford, and the Al J. Schneider Company, reopened the park in 2014 it had a total of 27 theme and water park rides. After an investment of $70 million, the park now has 70 rides and attractions.

Season passes for 2018 go on sale on the Kentucky Kingdom website on Friday, Nov. 3 for $69.95. Season passes include unlimited admission, free parking, $1 soft drinks and discounted food and merchandise. Free tubes for the water park and free sunscreen are offered to all Kentucky Kingdom guests. Additional discounts are included in the early bird season passes. Details can be found on the park website.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36750528/kentucky-kingdom-adds-4-new-attractions-for-2018-season

Scream Extreme, is a new generation Enterprise, to replace the old one. Curious to see what the other ride is. They said the older watersildes in Hurricane Bay were going away, but they didn't say anything about them. Maybe a New Watercoaster, huh?

Scream Extreme, is a new generation Enterprise, to replace the old one. Curious to see what the other ride is. They said the older watersildes in Hurricane Bay were going away, but they didn't say anything about them. Maybe a New Watercoaster, huh?

I'm wondering if they are going to take out that whole ride complex and put the cabanas there.

I'm wondering if they are going to take out that whole ride complex and put the cabanas there.

I could see that, Cabana's around the lazy River.

I could see that, Cabana's around the lazy River.

It was written that they'd be near the wave pool:

Other upgrades for the park include new cabanas near the giant wave pool, more shade structures and new seating throughout the park.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36750528/kentucky-kingdom-adds-4-new-attractions-for-2018-season