TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about this place.

We have a general plan for a Memorial Day weekend. I never book in advance since I like to be able to change things on the fly due to weather but as of now the plan is to visit Kings Island Friday, Holiday World Saturday and Kentucky Kingdom Sunday.

We had originally planned to do this in a line and do Kentucky Kingdom on Saturday but we realized that since Monday is our drive home day it would only add about 90 minutes of drive time to head north from Louisville, take I-80 home and swing over to Cedar Point. We then realized that Kentucky Kingdom would be a better place to start that drive so we switched them. Now we're planning on going there in the morning, knocking out the coasters and heading up to Cedar Point for some night rides before getting up in the morning, getting there for Early Entry and leaving early in the afternoon for the drive home. Don't worry about us cramming in Cedar Point, we go there every year, we're going Labor Day weekend, we go there all the time. As long as we ride Millennium Force, Maverick and Gatekeeper (not my choice, lol) (and if there's a convenient mode of transportation between the Millennium Force area and the front of the park then... you know, whatever happens happens) then everything else is a bonus.

Anyway, now that you have a little background, here's what we want to know...

- It's my understanding that this park's weather policy absolutely blows. Is that still the case? Are there any coasters that have especially terrible rain policies or are they pretty much all terrible? Do they re-open the rides quickly after it rains?

- Assuming Sunday has bad weather, I'm thinking of trying to combine Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World into one day on Saturday because of their terrible weather policy. In this case we would get to Kentucky Kingdom at rope drop, what's the best order to hit the coasters in? We don't care about anything at this park aside from the coasters (since riding anything else just cuts into our Holiday World time with that plan). If it's reversed and Saturday has questionable weather we'll stick to the original plan since Holiday World (from what I gather) has a good weather policy. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys, I've glanced at the weather but I'm not really concerned with it yet since I know it'll change a million times between now and next weekend, I just like to have backup plans in place so I can be flexible. The one silver lining of the backup plan would be more Cedar Point time but ideally I'd like a full day at Holiday World so combining them is just a backup plan at this point.

In my experience, basically the whole park shuts down with weather. Fortunately, you should be able to do everything at this park very quickly, even with re-rides, since I know you're not waterpark people. You may even plan about 3 hours total for the park and then head to CP.

I actually witnessed an anomaly today at the park. When it started to rain, they announced that the rides would be closing, so I exited T3's queue and got food. As I sat and ate and watched as the rain get heavier, I saw T3 running... in the heavy rain... with passengers on board... four times!

I would definitely not take that as a new thing that they are doing (and would never, ever ride T3 in heavy rain) since they were still planning to shut down the rides once the rain was heavy enough, but people were still braving the rain and getting on that ride. I'll still take a spin on the coaster any other time, but there's no way you'd ever get me on it during the rain!

I did get to ride Storm Chaser when it sprinkled though, which was awesome!

This year, it seems like a whole different ride. The thing is hauling some serious a$$ at the end.

I said this elsewhere, but it felt as though the ride is moving a tiny bit faster this year. Anyone who's yet to re-ride it after trying it early last year needs to re-ride it. It's a far more intense experience now compared to its sluggish beginnings.

We have a general plan for a Memorial Day weekend. I never book in advance since I like to be able to change things on the fly due to weather but as of now the plan is to visit Kings Island Friday, Holiday World Saturday and Kentucky Kingdom Sunday.

God damnit, William! You're missing us by a week, again!

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about this place.

Hey, I'm planning Holiday World and (possibly) KK Memorial Weekend too! You guys always seem to have the same idea as I do, yet I only met you once at Cedar Point.

I hadn't fully planned what days for what but I was thinking Saturday for my first ever time at Holiday World would be the worst choice as far as crowds go. Am I wrong? I'll be staying with my boyfriend in Louisville so KK could be any day, if I even go that weekend. I've been to KK before so it's not as crucial for me to get everything done.

(I'll ask in the HW thread as well).

Okay cool, I read somewhere on here that it took them forever to get the coasters running after it rained (mainly Thunder Run) so I'm glad to know that's not too big of an issue.

As of now it's calling for on and off storms all weekend at both parks but since they're not full day parks anyway I don't really mind. Ideally though I'd like to bang this one out quick just because it means more time at Cedar Point. Honestly depending on the forecast for Sunday I could even see stopping in for a few hours on Saturday morning to knock out the coasters since we'll be driving right by it before going to Holiday World.

Hey, I'm planning Holiday World and (possibly) KK Memorial Weekend too! You guys always seem to have the same idea as I do, yet I only met you once at Cedar Point.

I hadn't fully planned what days for what but I was thinking Saturday for my first ever time at Holiday World would be the worst choice as far as crowds go. Am I wrong? I'll be staying with my boyfriend in Louisville so KK could be any day, if I even go that weekend. I've been to KK before so it's not as crucial for me to get everything done.

(I'll ask in the HW thread as well).

Awesome! Maybe we'll see you there!

God damnit, William! You're missing us by a week, again!

How does that keep happening? That sucks but I'm sure we'll run into you eventually.

Edited by coasterbill

- Assuming Sunday has bad weather, I'm thinking of trying to combine Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World into one day on Saturday because of their terrible weather policy. In this case we would get to Kentucky Kingdom at rope drop, what's the best order to hit the coasters in?

Assuming you get there at rope drop and weather has held out for you, I think I'd recommend Lightning Run, Storm Chaser, Thunder Run. I can't comment about T3 as I haven't ventured back there to fool with it recently. Lightning Run operations can be painful to witness, so knocking it out first seems to be best. Once you get back to Storm Chaser, you should likely be able to get plentiful re-rides before it gets too crowded back there. Then hit Thunder Run. Keep in mind though that Thunder Run in going to be running one train but it's not exactly as popular as the rest, but a surprisingly good woodie considering.

I know you just can't wait to ride the parks new shiny yellow looping roller coaster. If you spot some enthusiasts in the queue while waiting make sure to refer to it as a roller coaster, I hear they love that.

I know you just can't wait to ride the parks new shiny yellow looping roller coaster. If you spot some enthusiasts in the queue while waiting make sure to refer to it as a roller coaster, I hear they love that.

I was thinking about joining Coaster Crew so I could go to their event at KK on Sunday, June 4. Their website says that registration opens soon. June 4 is only a week and a half away, so I thought registration would be open by now. I e-mailed them but didn't get a response. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

It seems like a hyper would be a bit over the top monetary wise after all the money they've spent in the past 3-4 years. Though it would kind of send a warning signal to Holiday World like "we're coming for your jugular".

Honestly as much as we'd love to see a hyper I think it would be a bad choice. Just visited this past weekend and the park already has two fantastic steel coasters - what they need IMO is attractions that takes up time.

The park is rarely crowded and has decent operations so unless you do the water park the average guest will likely be done in only a few hours. As a park owner I feel like you need the length of stay to be longer to get more off of F&B, merch, etc. Not sure what that attraction/s would be but they have to find a way to extend the length of a visit. I had lunch before the park, ate dinner afterwards - and didn't spend a dime there.

It seems like a hyper would be a bit over the top monetary wise after all the money they've spent in the past 3-4 years. Though it would kind of send a warning signal to Holiday World like "we're coming for your jugular".

People said the same thing about a B&M before they added Chang. Something like that would be precisely Hart's M.O.

Wouldn't the nearby airport interfere with adding a hyper?

That's exactly why I'm not counting on a B&M hyper for the park. The height restrictions through the park fluctuate, not to mention LR gives better air than any B&M hyper I've ridden...