Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1191 - Maxx Force Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: KICoasterkev and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:17 pm

coasterbill wrote:
TurnOfTheCentury wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:If SFNE and Great Adventure are any indication, they'll run pretty much anything that's staffed or not water based.

with respect, Chicago winters can be degrees of magnitude colder (having lived in both Boston and Chicago, I can attest to Chicago winters having some horrific wind chill days and deep dips, even if the high averages in January are only about 5 degrees apart between the cities.).

You also have to remember that the parks are willing to lose some days for weather. Like yeah... if it’s a high of 10 degrees the park is going to close that day and they’re cool with that. New England didn’t open for like 5 days and they considered it enough of a success to state that on a conference call and then expanded the event to Great America after seeing how that performed (though it did get down to 10 degrees one night in New England last year and Mind Eraser ran in it).

So amazing that they can run these rides that cold.
I will definitely check it out. With a tauntaun, of course.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Ed Farmer wrote:
TurnOfTheCentury wrote:Will be interesting to ride something like Batman if we get one of those polar vortices.

I've actually been praying for exactly that ever since I learned it was possible.

:nina:

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Danrarbc » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 am

Batman STL ran in to the low teens last year until ice buildup shut it down. If it was a drier cold it would have probably worked fine even lower. Ice even shut the ferris wheel down.

Chicago is probably going to run in to the same issue. Moisture will shut things down before raw temperature will.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Tuly » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi everyone I know this probably is a frequently asked question but my family is planning a trip to Six flags on the weekend of the 28th-30th and we noticed that fright fest hours have started! I just wanted to know if we should plan to go Friday from 5-9 or Saturday, depending on which day will have shorter lines and less crowded overall while still getting to most rides in. Thanks!
Montu : The Boss : Goliath(SFGAM)
Coaster Count : 30

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm

You should definitely shoot for Friday.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RaceBoarder » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:04 pm

https://www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/news/six-flags-magic-waters

Six Flags will manage Magic Waters, a waterpark in Rockford, IL....

Ho hum.... Park is out in the middle of nowhere... Probably a good thing if you live in Rockford, but not really doing much for the rest of the Chicago area...

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:51 am

https://www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/news/six-flags-magic-waters

Six Flags is adding Magic Waters in Rockford, IL to their list of water parks! Six Flags will operate the park starting in Spring 2019!

SixFlags_RPD.png

The Rockford Park District Board of Commissioners has approved a lease agreement that allows Six Flags Entertainment Corporation to operate Magic Waters Waterpark starting in the spring of 2019. This lease agreement is expected to be signed in the near future, and allows the largest regional theme park company in the world to bring its unique and innovative brand to the Rockford market.

Magic Waters Waterpark, a 43-acre waterpark located in Rockford, Illinois, has been owned and operated by the Rockford Park District since 1988. The park features a wide array of tube slides and body slides; an expansive children’s play area; a 1200 ft. lazy river; and Tsunami Bay, Illinois’ largest wavepool.

“We are excited about the prospect of welcoming Magic Waters to the Six Flags family of parks,” said Six Flags Great America Park President Hank Salemi. “This is a fantastic property that complements our theme and waterpark in Gurnee and provides tremendous added value for our Season Passholders and Members. We look forward to bringing our unique and innovative brand of thrills to this important market.”

The lease agreement is expected to be finalized in the near future and commence in spring of 2019.

"The Rockford Park District has always had a strong culture of collaboration,” said Jay Sandine, Rockford Park District Executive Director. “Partnering with Six Flags means great things for our community and will enhance the experience for local families looking for affordable family fun. By having the Six Flags brand in this market we expect a major increase in tourism which will have significant economic impact for our community. Six Flags will continue to make capital investments in the waterpark, which frees up District resources to invest in our communities’ priorities such as parks, playgrounds, and youth.”

When the lease begins, Six Flags Gold Season Passes and Memberships will offer admission to Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Magic Waters and any other Six Flags theme park, as well as free parking and special admission offers for friends.
Six+Flags+-+RPD+2.jpg
magicwaters.JPG
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby Danrarbc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:58 am

This is a very odd deal for Six Flags. The park is basically 75 miles from both Chicago and Milwaukee and while it is the largest water park anywhere near Chicago there are still options closer and if you're in Milwaukee the Dells would probably be your destination.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 am

They want to grow their membership base. I don't think the goal is to get Six Flags passholders to venture out to Magic Waters in droves (though some people will and that's a win for Six Flags too), I think the goal is to get people who visit Magic Waters to buy memberships, visit Great America and add to their growing subscription base.

This is pretty much just a repeat of what they were doing like 10-15 years ago when they operated parks like Wyandot Lake, though I guess you could argue that they''ll likely have more success with retention due to their new membership model. Hell, even if they decide to cut this place loose in a few years I wouldn't be shocked if (depending on the verbiage of the membership agreement) they just keep billing these people anyway and actually retain a lot of them.

Postby Danrarbc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 am

I suppose it's true that they may be looking at moving people the opposite direction. But how many memberships can they really start in Rockford?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!