Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1191 - Maxx Force Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby MrFurious » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Quick question for those who count SFGam as your home park. I'm traveling up this weekend with a group of friends with families. We all have season passes (STL is our home park).

I thought i remember that SFGam handles their opening a little different that SFStl. The park is listed to open at 10:30, but don't they let you in before that, and that lines begin forming in front of each ride ahead of time? Is that still happening?

I'm advising our friends that we want to arrive in the parking lot around 9:30am, but they think i'm crazy.

Thoughts?
Your mother was a donkey, and your father smelt of...elderberries!

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Airboss » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 pm

MrFurious wrote:Quick question for those who count SFGam as your home park. I'm traveling up this weekend with a group of friends with families. We all have season passes (STL is our home park).

I thought i remember that SFGam handles their opening a little different that SFStl. The park is listed to open at 10:30, but don't they let you in before that, and that lines begin forming in front of each ride ahead of time? Is that still happening?

I'm advising our friends that we want to arrive in the parking lot around 9:30am, but they think i'm crazy.

Thoughts?

They open the gates at 10:30, no earlier. They don't let you queue for the rides ahead of that. It's a little different than other parks.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby radiohead8989 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 pm

The gate to the parking lot will usually open between 9 and 9:30. They usually start letting cars past the point where you pay for parking around 9:30. They usually start letting people past the metal detectors around 10 AM. They usually let you in the park at 10:15 AM. The rides begin at 10:30 AM. It's not always the same, but this is the way they usually do things. I'm always at the park early, so I know that this is how it works.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby MrFurious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 am

Thanks! I'll adjust and arrive at 10am then. Y'all just saved me from getting crushed by the other families.

I don't know why I feel like remembering that I queued up in front of goliath early last year.
Your mother was a donkey, and your father smelt of...elderberries!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby JT325 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:03 am

Incredibly awesome yet super cheesy retro goodness. Note 4 trains in motion on Whizzer. Good stuff sprinkled throughout, watch at your discretion.

#CPFrontierLift2019

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Meep » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:01 pm

In regards to the 'violence', I don't know if I witnessed the Mardi Gras area one referenced previously or another one in the same area on the same day... Either way we had just exited Roaring Rapids and there was a heavy police presence as well as easily a two dozen park 'security' in the area keeping people apart and trying to calm everyone down... One dolt that was clearly a 'suspect' in the incident started to get quite belligerent both physically and vocally with the park staff, while proclaiming to the staff he was leaving because he didn't do anything, let's just say that didn't go well for him as he was quickly met by three officers and a K-9 unit, and informed he was patently incorrect about just leaving, albeit in the end he actually might have been right about leaving as he was given a pair of shiny bracelets for his actions...

It definitely was not a crowded day so it wasn't a crowd-driven conflict, in fact the park was quite empty, probably due to the heat, I don't think any line was longer than 15 minutes on Fathers Day, even the Joker was only about a 10 minute wait...

On that note, we were there again this weekend and there was a clearly bigger police presence, both police in the parking lot driving up and down the parking lanes and in the park itself where I saw several Gurnee police on bikes and also walking around the park...

Oh and BTW I do love how they tell you to report line jumping then do nothing about it, we were in line for X-Flight and when the gates opened to get on the ride two line jumpers literally pushed past my brother and his wife that were next, jumped on the ride and harnessed up in haste, we reported them and easily a half dozen other people in line confirmed what had happened, but the two individuals refused to move and said everyone else was lying thus nothing was done by park staff... Talking to a few other people about it afterwards, apparently, they too have reported line jumpers but faced the same dead-end reaction from staff, apparently as long as the line jumper denies they jumped nothing happens, so that policy is a little disappointing...

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Park was absolutely dead today. Yesterday we waited in line quite a bit for the 3-4 hours we were there. Today was walk-ons or station waits for every coaster we did, depending on the row. Stayed from 12:15 until 4 and got in 16 rides (including rerides) as opposed to 5 yesterday for a similar amount of time. Very well landscaped and maintained compared to other Six Flags parks. Tied for my favorite Six Flags between Great America and Over Texas.
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby RollingCoasting » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Ha, I heard from a friend that it was indeed dead (Goliath station wait and Superman sending empty rows) so I drove down. Literally right as I got there the bad weather started kicking in. I was about to get on Hangover when it closed for weather and never reopened. I stayed around until the park was closed early at 5:30 but didn't get a single ride in. So close!

Glad to hear you had a good time :)

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Ouch, looks like you barely missed the sweet spot today when it didn't rain. I saw the huge downpour that came around on the way out, it only started raining once we left the exit. Perfect timing I guess, lol
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Coconut Pete » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 am

Hello all, I'm finally returning back to my old stomping grounds for the first time since the late 80's. I notice there has been a few changes since then. :) Planning on going on Monday July 16th and I'm looking for your expert advice on how to tackle the park. Will definitely be arriving when the park opens, and not sure yet how late we'll be staying. Oh, does it get cool there in the evening, or should I just prepare for hot and stick all day? Your help is greatly appreciated!
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/d5497ff7b6ea1823cecb7b105b6c8e51.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!