TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

So for the land clearing, I originally speculated that it would be for a water park expansion. But now, I'm actually leaning toward it being for the dry park. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Raptor.

Hi all! My dad and I will have the opportunity to visit SFGAm this Friday from 4pm till probably park closing. I don't really know too much about the park aside from it's coasters, so any tips to have a good time would be greatly appreciated! Also, how's this park's weather policy?

If you have the money, budget for Flash Pass. We did a similar ~5PM-closing spin and got to ride most of the good coasters, but if it's in the cards, you're 100% gonna have a better time with FP.

If the weather is nice, it's probably gonna be fairly busy (25-60 minute waits for most coasters). If you get lucky, the weather will screw around enough to keep crowds light but not enough to actually close anything.

Otherwise, Goliath is great in any seat but back car is definitely the place to be. Raging Bull in the very back row is the only seat. X-Flight is awesome in the front left, and likewise, American Eagle and Batman are front seat rides.

How's this park's weather policy?
If lightning is spotted within 30 miles of the park, most of the rides have to cease operation for atleast a half hour. It's really annoying but I guess it's still much better than other parks. *Cedar Point*

Another seat recommendation - Ride Demon in the back car for a pop of airtime on the first drop

Have fun!

30 miles isn't even close to the range used for lightning detection... It's significantly less than that depending on which system they use. Please don't talk out of your ass...

THOR Guard, one of the most popular systems used, has a range of 15-25 square miles. This is at most about a 4-5 mile range with the park at the center... Other systems are very similar.

But hey, enthusiasts know all

30 miles isn't even close to the range used for lightning detection... It's significantly less than that depending on which system they use. Please don't talk out of your A$$...

THOR Guard, one of the most popular systems used, has a range of 15-25 square miles. This is at most about a 4-5 mile range with the park at the center... Other systems are very similar.

Cool.... I thought I had heard 30 but that does seem a bit high I suppose...

For the OP, I was able to get a pretty straightforward answer from an employee since Derek wasn't very clear

15 miles for Raging Bull and Sky Trek Tower

10 miles for pretty much every other ride except kiddie rides

5 miles for kiddie rides

But hey, enthusiasts know all

I'm not sure why you feel the need to include this in literally 90% of your posts but then again... I guess I don't care either if it makes you feel better about yourself...........

SFOT closes rides when there's lightning halfway across the world (only slightly exaggerating).

SFGAm is definitely better with that kind of stuff, but knowing Six Flags I wouldn't be surprised if they actually closed something when there's lightning 30 miles away, lol.

We were at the park yesterday, and impressed at how fast things reopened after the rain. Unlike sfne, they kept the park open.

It was actually still sprinkling out when the rides went back up. We got caught on demon when the skys opened up.

SFOT closes rides when there's lightning halfway across the world (only slightly exaggerating).

SFGAm is definitely better with that kind of stuff, but knowing Six Flags I wouldn't be surprised if they actually closed something when there's lightning 30 miles away, lol.

The problem is that there is a physical limitation to lightning detection systems. The systems currently on the market have an upper limit of 6-7 miles under the best of conditions.

The quoted "30 mile" radius goes from Racine, WI to Rosemont, IL. That is a hell of a lot of area and I can guarantee that storms pass through that area and do not effect SFGAm at all... Even going half that, the radius still covers a hell of a lot of ground and that simply can't be covered by any reliable commercial grade lightning detection system...

Hell, todays weather is a perfect example of how ridiculous the quoted distances are... Look at a radar loop from this afternoon. Storms have been firing along the southern edge of the 15/30 mile radius all afternoon while Gurnee is clear. I'd bet that the park didn't close a single ride due to the cloud to cloud or cloud to ground lightning that has been present for most of the afternoon.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Some follow-up questions:

-Besides the coasters, what are some other recommended rides I should check out?

-Which rides have single rider lines?

-Are there any tips for avoiding crowds during this part of the day? (4pm to closing for anyone who didn't read my former post) I know that for some parks there are specific areas to go at for specific times to avoid lines, and I'm wondering if this park has anything similar for this time frame.

-Which rides should I absolutely skip if the line is over 25min?

-Any other general tips?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Some follow-up questions:

-Besides the coasters, what are some other recommended rides I should check out?

-Which rides have single rider lines?

-Are there any tips for avoiding crowds during this part of the day? (4pm to closing for anyone who didn't read my former post) I know that for some parks there are specific areas to go at for specific times to avoid lines, and I'm wondering if this park has anything similar for this time frame.

-Which rides should I absolutely skip if the line is over 25min?

-Any other general tips?

We just spent 2 days at the park without fast pass, and rode all the coasters multiple times. We were also able to she the shows and ride a bunch of other rides as well. It was hot, so I think that the main focus for a lot of people was the waterpark.

A few non coaster rides you may want to check out are justice league, fiddlers fling(they run this ride in crazy mode), and Mardi Gras hangover. They are also doing vr on the drop tower at no additional cost as well...so check that out if you are able to.

The magic show in hometown square was pretty good as well.

The only let down this park had for us was the food selection. Not a whole lot of choices outside of the typical park fair. I would suggest the nachos at JB'S smokehouse...they are HUGE!

Make sure to check out Giant Drop (Running VR), Mardi Gras Hangover, Revolution, The Lobster, and Justice League

Goliath, The Joker, and Justice League have single rider lines

Personally, I would hit American Eagle and Demon earlier in the day. They tend to have consistently short waits, but if you ride them early you will have gotten them out of the way before everyone goes home and the lines for more popular coasters get shorter. Usually lines pick up a bit around the time Hurricane Harbor closes (6 PM) but they start to weed out during the last hour of operation (This past Saturday for example, Goliath was a 30 minute wait throughout the evening and a station wait right before closing) Looking at the forecast for Friday, I doubt the park will be very crowded anyway so you may be able to just do things how you want

Honestly, skip Little Dipper if the line is over 25 minutes (Which it regularly does get longer than). Aside from its history it's really nothing special

Some good places to eat in the park are Big Lou's (Italian Beef), Strutters (Chicken), JB's Sports Bar (Wings, nachos, pulled pork), Johnny Rockets (Burgers), and Chop Six (Chinese food)

Thanks so much for the help!

One (probably) last question: What is the loose article policy at this park. Will I need to get any fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo?

No loose articles like bags, purses, drink cups or bottles, etc. allowed on rides. Keep your cell phone in your pocket. There are bins in the station of coasters or near the entrance of flat rides you can put loose articles in for free then retrieve when exiting. Hats and sunglasses are allowed on rides though.

Thanks so much for the help!

One (probably) last question: What is the loose article policy at this park. Will I need to get any fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo?

No loose articles like bags, purses, drink cups or bottles, etc. allowed on rides. Keep your cell phone in your pocket. There are bins in the station of coasters or near the entrance of flat rides you can put loose articles in for free then retrieve when exiting. Hats and sunglasses are allowed on rides though.

Lockers are essentially not required at Great America. The locking bins on the ride platforms are color coded to the trains when possible. Significantly better than some other parks in the chain.

• 2 weeks later...

^I got a ride name survey this summer, and one of them had a car theme (forget the name) and was an option for a launched racing coaster. Hoping it is that. Hoping the waterslide shot is just a red herring, because if it is a water coaster or other water ride, that seems too obvious.

^I got a ride name survey this summer, and one of them had a car theme (forget the name) and was an option for a launched racing coaster. Hoping it is that. Hoping the waterslide shot is just a red herring, because if it is a water coaster or other water ride, that seems too obvious.

I believe both Intamin and Vekoma have new launched coaster concepts and neither looks super big. Both might fit the area available. Maybe a Mack considering how much more work they're getting. Or do Skywarps technically launch?