TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Got to ride “Mardi Gras Hangover” this past Tuesday, although I had to buy the T-Shirt to do so. Strangely enough I don’t think there were more than 40 people who chose to do so...I was expecting more of a crowd.

The ride is a blast and the hang time is pretty insane! And the ride is long enough to feel like you feel that you have actually ridden something more than a tease. And it “feels” faster than it probably is.

That being said, here are a couple caveats:

The ride still has some bugs to work out, mainly the train repeatedly did not line up with what the operating controls deemed it to be in the “Home” position so that caused some downtime for maintenance personnel to come cycle the ride empty to correct this.

Also, if you are a larger body type, please be aware that even though the seatbelt locks in place to the OTSR- you May Not still be allowed to ride...hopefully they have a Test seat by the entrance...we were delayed more than a few time by this.

If you are not completely trusting of your restraints, this ride will probably terrify you, as I said the hangtime is intense, and there is no safety netting or visual obstruction, so when you are inverted, you really, really feel it....

Overall, I like this addition Way More than the two previous rides on this same footprint (King Chaos, and Powerdive) though I still get a little nostalgic about The Edge before that.

A solid and fun addition! I just hope the maintenance staff is able to correct the couple issues that caused downtime during this preview day.

Nice job Six Flags.....

On a final and unrelated note, the skyline has changed without Pictorium...my guess is new water park expansion for 2019.

I've heard some nightmare stories about lines at this park and just wanted to see what locals think about a visit on a Monday in late June. The money points to a Flash pass not being in the cards, but we'll see. CoasterQueue does not have information on SUF (I've heard these get slow lines) or X-Flight

^Also, the park really empties at night. The last 2 hours of the day are usually great. Sometimes I’ll jet up to the park then for a few spins on my favorites, including some great classic flats.

^Also, the park really empties at night. The last 2 hours of the day are usually great. Sometimes I’ll jet up to the park then for a few spins on my favorites, including some great classic flats.

That's really good to know. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Night rides are so much fun

So yesterday was season pass day for MGH so I spent a couple hours at the park to ride it a couple times along with a few other rides in the time I had at the park. I really enjoyed MGH a lot and while it's not my favorite coaster here it's definitely in my top 5. The only other rides I got on we're BTR, Joker and V2.

Edited by 9Armgeddon4

Despite their hate I actually really enjoy super loops. A 100-foot version sounds awesome. Maybe one day I'll make it out to SFGAm.

Unless Magic Mountain puts in a 150-foot version that holds 48 people and calls it their 20th coaster...which I would honestly be totally fine with.

Even CNN has caught onto super loops maybe not being roller coasters.

CNN Link

That's actually hilarious, and kind of amazing in some respects. It looks like they're trying to report on it as if it were an actual issue that we should be concerned about

Also, anyone else find it funny how in the middle of the article they randomly say "Furthermore, the top 10 tallest roller coasters in the world all exceed 300 feet, according to RCDB.com, the online encyclopedia of roller coasters worldwide" for no reason?

The thing about the Super Loops is they are counterweighted against gravity just like a swinging ship. The fact they go so far to fake the idea they're coasters makes them even more fake. Also one of the most essential things about coasters is lack of repetitive motions. I wouldn't get back on one for 10 credits even if I believed it was a coaster.

I was able to ride Mardi Gras Hangover two times today and I really enjoyed it! Having been on a Larson loop (STL Fireball) before, I knew I was in for a great ride, but damn. I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. It's just that fun. My 2nd ride happened to be in the dark, which made it even more thrilling than the first. The light package looks amazing by the way. I don't really "rank" rides anymore, but I agree with 9Armgeddon4 that this is probably in SFGAm's top 5.

Kind of a random observation but Hangover doesn't make the buzzing sound that other Larson loops make. It's actually really quiet

Ok, Chicago people, my Dad and Son will be up there next week and going to the park either Wed or Thurs. While I get that there is never an absolute; what are the crowds liable to be like next week? Are schools still in (kinda seems like they might be from the park hours)? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and just get them fastpasses since they will only have one day or wait because it is unlikely they will be needed. It's just a lot easier to do ahead of time since I would be paying!

^ I know, right? It may look like a simple ride from afar, but it really packs a punch.

I love that line of reasoning. Anything that packs a punch can now be called a roller coaster, including Chuck Norris.

Does this mean that Mike Tyson also has bite?

Ok, Chicago people, my Dad and Son will be up there next week and going to the park either Wed or Thurs. While I get that there is never an absolute; what are the crowds liable to be like next week? Are schools still in (kinda seems like they might be from the park hours)? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and just get them fastpasses since they will only have one day or wait because it is unlikely they will be needed. It's just a lot easier to do ahead of time since I would be paying!

Most of the high schools in the area are already on summer vacation, but a lot of the elementary schools are still in school this week in the surrounding suburbs. Chicago Public Schools are still in session.

The crowds are usually not bad in May during the week, and mid-week is a good time to go. There is a chance of rain and thunderstorms Wednesday and Thursday this week, the much higher chance being on Wednesday.

Regarding the flash pass, I never buy them at any park, so someone else might be able to address that better, but I would guess they would not be needed this week due to so many schools still being in session and the fact it is only May, and a short operating day. Some guests will also be at the waterpark. I know you would like to buy them ahead of time, but I would advise they just wait to see what crowds are like and buy them if needed at the park. I would also advise arriving before the park opens, because they could walk onto a lot of rides early in the day without a flash pass. If money is no object though, and it would ease your mind to buy them, then buy them.

^ I know, right? It may look like a simple ride from afar, but it really packs a punch.

I love that line of reasoning. Anything that packs a punch can now be called a roller coaster, including Chuck Norris.

Does this mean that Mike Tyson also has bite?

Yes it does, but that means he's not a roller coaster. It's a great classification system. Good job, Six Flags!

Most of the high schools in the area are already on summer vacation, but a lot of the elementary schools are still in school this week in the surrounding suburbs. Chicago Public Schools are still in session.

The crowds are usually not bad in May during the week, and mid-week is a good time to go. There is a chance of rain and thunderstorms Wednesday and Thursday this week, the much higher chance being on Wednesday.

Regarding the flash pass, I never buy them at any park, so someone else might be able to address that better, but I would guess they would not be needed this week due to so many schools still being in session and the fact it is only May, and a short operating day. Some guests will also be at the waterpark. I know you would like to buy them ahead of time, but I would advise they just wait to see what crowds are like and buy them if needed at the park. I would also advise arriving before the park opens, because they could walk onto a lot of rides early in the day without a flash pass. If money is no object though, and it would ease your mind to buy them, then buy them.

Yeah, who would have thought that they would have to worry about a tropical storm, in Chicago, in May. Go figure. They may just have to make a last minute decision about which day to go. We usually get fp if we are at a park out of town and only have a day, but no reason to throw money away either. They may just have to see what the crowds are like and make the decision at the park.