TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I wouldn't assume that. People aren't coming out for this event, but it could be that they just didn't find the event compelling. I'm fairly certain Chicago could still have a successful HITP event. But I doubt they try this beerfest thing again. It just isn't drawing people like they thought.

I wouldn't assume that. People aren't coming out for this event, but it could be that they just didn't find the event compelling. I'm fairly certain Chicago could still have a successful HITP event. But I doubt they try this beerfest thing again. It just isn't drawing people like they thought.

Exactly. Great Adventure is generally dead for the 2 weeks between Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park despite doing a wine and beer tasting event for one of those weekends. The popularity of that event is SLOWLY growing but they're still slow weekends. When Holiday in the Park starts, crowds pick way up.

Just got back from SFGAm. Fun but cold day at the park today.

Crowds were probably the biggest of November with 2/3's of the front lot filled. Everything was running and there were a few coasters with two trains going (Bull, Goliath, Eagle, Whizzer). Single train ops on Batman, Viper (backwards), and X-Flight. Once everything got running by about 3pm, nothing was more than a 30-35 minute wait.

It was a nice way to close the season for me. I was happy to be riding any coaster on November 19th. I will admit that I did let my enthusiast flag fly a bit today. Since I was solo and temps were in the 30s, I wore ski goggles around the park. Got several strange looks, but it was the only way I would have made it through more than a ride or two today. Despite my best efforts, I guess I've officially become a coaster nerd

IMG_0592.thumb.JPG.d98ed1d215484d9cbdf4e270023a0c8a.JPG

Looking weird? Absolutely! Cold? Not a chance in Hell!

Also just got back from the park. I was beginning to think that between the family commitments I already had lined up this month and the ass weather, I wouldn't get to wet my beak in this Last Call business. It worked out, and now I know what it feels like to ride coasters in winter weather (absolutely pure + probably pneumonia).

I was happy to see actual lines here and there- nothing awful, and certainly a byproduct of one train ops on several coasters, but I rather like this concept of being able to ride coasters up until Thanksgiving in the Chicagoland area- hopefully enough crazies showed up on this 30 degree day in late November for management to at least think twice before abandoning an extended season. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it back next year. It's really unfortunate that this November turned out the way it did weather-wise the one year they chose to give it a shot.

base layer long johns

This saved my damn life today.

Kudos to all those who had a hand in maintaining a smooth operation today. It was pretty damn chilly and all of the coasters were up doing their thing.

Today was an amazing last operating day. Station waits most of the day so we were able to ride everything we wanted to twice including the last train of the year on Goliath row 3 and the last ones to enter the queue. Also saw Demon get stuck on the MCBR and Goliath one of the trains to the transfer track under the station.

I went yesterday as well and I was surprised how many people were there. People were not afraid to ride in the cold, which was nice to see. It makes me think they could pull off Holiday in the Park and I hope they give it a shot. I didnt see anyone partaking in any of the event offerings, which I figured was going to happen. It was a bit colder than I thought it was going to be so I was happy the sports bars were open. It was nice to hide in them when the wind picked up.The only things that irritated me was that Bull was running one train and slow ops at V2. Eagle and Whizzer ran two trains so it didn't make sense for Bull to run one train. It made the wait 30 minutes, but that's not so bad. I had to leave at 5 PM, but I was able to ride all the coasters. It was a good day to close out the season.

It was a nice way to close the season for me. I was happy to be riding any coaster on November 19th. I will admit that I did let my enthusiast flag fly a bit today. Since I was solo and temps were in the 30s, I wore ski goggles around the park. Got several strange looks, but it was the only way I would have made it through more than a ride or two today. Despite my best efforts, I guess I've officially become a coaster nerd

I waited next to you for Viper and I thought the goggles were a good idea. The cold air didn't bother me too much, but I would bring goggles if I ever ride coasters in cold weather again.

I went yesterday as well and I was surprised how many people were there. People were not afraid to ride in the cold, which was nice to see. It makes me think they could pull off Holiday in the Park and I hope they give it a shot. I didnt see anyone partaking in any of the event offerings, which I figured was going to happen. It was a bit colder than I thought it was going to be so I was happy the sports bars were open. It was nice to hide in them when the wind picked up.The only things that irritated me was that Bull was running one train and slow ops at V2. Eagle and Whizzer ran two trains so it didn't make sense for Bull to run one train. It made the wait 30 minutes, but that's not so bad. I had to leave at 5 PM, but I was able to ride all the coasters. It was a good day to close out the season.

I waited next to you for Viper and I thought the goggles were a good idea. The cold air didn't bother me too much, but I would bring goggles if I ever ride coasters in cold weather again.

Staying warm >>>> acting like an enthusiast

Not sure when Bull added the 2nd train, but they had two running when I rode right after Viper. That was around 3:30ish. They seemed to be running as well as they could for the most part. No sense of laziness anywhere.

It was nice to hide in them when the wind picked up.The only things that irritated me was that Bull was running one train and slow ops at V2. Eagle and Whizzer ran two trains so it didn't make sense for Bull to run one train

Since you described it as being windy and it was such a cold day, they were probably running one train to ensure that it was full and then added a second when crowds picked up later on. Sending mostly empty trains on hyper-coasters on cold and windy days is a great way to valley them which would probably mean it would be closed for the remainder of the day. The more weight, the better... especially early in the day before the get warmed up. The other coasters you mentioned are likely less valley prone. Personally I'd never complain about a park running a single train in a situation like this. I'm generally just happy they run them in these conditions at all.

IMO, if they want to extend the season they should just extend Fright Fest into November, the idea that Fright Fest has to end with Halloween is silly, fact is Fright Fest draws crowds and I don't believe for one second that the crowds would just stop coming because it's after Halloween... If they wanted to switch it up to get repeat visitors, they could flip the theme of Fright Fest into a Spooky Thanksgiving and/or Nightmare Christmas look...

IMO, if they want to extend the season they should just extend Fright Fest into November, the idea that Fright Fest has to end with Halloween is silly, fact is Fright Fest draws crowds and I don't believe for one second that the crowds would just stop coming because it's after Halloween... If they wanted to switch it up to get repeat visitors, they could flip the theme of Fright Fest into a Spooky Thanksgiving and/or Nightmare Christmas look...

Yea, I mean all those haunted houses make $Texas in November! In fact, why not just run Fright Fest for the entire operating season. Just think of the $$$$ that would be made with every day at capacity!

Since you described it as being windy and it was such a cold day, they were probably running one train to ensure that it was full and then added a second when crowds picked up later on. Sending mostly empty trains on hyper-coasters on cold and windy days is a great way to valley them which would probably mean it would be closed for the remainder of the day. The more weight, the better... especially early in the day before the get warmed up. The other coasters you mentioned are likely less valley prone. Personally I'd never complain about a park running a single train in a situation like this. I'm generally just happy they run them in these conditions at all.

There wasn't enough wind to make Bull valley and the trims were on. I rode at 3:00 when the crowds were the biggest. I think the park ran one train on most of the coasters because the attendance warranted it. I wasn't complaining because the lines were still pretty short. I had a good time and I wish I could have stayed until closing. I would have marathoned the coasters that were walk ons.

Actually, on years that Friday or Saturday is Halloween, Nov. 1-2 are usually fairly dead and some parks don't even have a haunt on Sunday (usually based on experience). Haunts cost more to operate.