Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

p. 1135 - "World's Largest Loop Coaster" for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Some decent photos - nice to know that there is a Hampton Inn that close to the park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Meep » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Some decent photos - nice to know that there is a Hampton Inn that close to the park.

Come next year there will be a brand new Great Wolf Lodge (replacing and drastically expanding upon the now gone Key Lime Cove) mostly indoor water park and resort across the street... I like the fact that now with the Great Wolf Lodge coming to the area you will be able to get a Disney like full fledged resort/hotel experience combined with the theme park... Something I have always felt Great America (and many other Six Flags) lacked as a family and child getaway place...

I'm actually really looking forward to having a no travel full fledged resort weekend getaway with a theme park across the street, as I'm only 10ish minutes down the road....

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RollingCoasting » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:29 pm

A bit off topic but The Lobster finally opened today :) (Hasn't operated since August 2016)

Screenshot_20171021-002346.png

Screenshot_20171021-002353.png

Looks to be running a much more intense cycle than it was after the 2012 rehab
Top 5: 1. Hades 360 2. Raging Bull 3. Goliath(GAm) 4. Mr. Freeze:Reverse Blast(STL) 5.Batman: The Ride(GAm)

Postby prozach626 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:43 am

Love the quirky name.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:44 pm

^^With Lobster open, my iffy decision about tomorrow night is set: I’m going! It’s always strange going back to my home park after spending a couple days at Knoebels (PPP). Very strange.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby prozach626 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Does anyone have any guesses on how crowds will be this weekend with the first weekend of the Last Call Fall event?

Looks like upper 40's and 90% chance of rain, but that could all change.

Postby JT325 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:33 pm

^I have no clue but had a GREAT time at the park last night! Most everything was a walk-on and I got a staggering 8 rides in a row - with out leaving my seat - on Whizzer. If you go, bundle up. The lake winds are harsh. I'm inclined to say the next couple weekends won't be busy on Sundays, but I've been in the past. Seems to be hit or miss. And who knows, the park may offer some discount or bring-a-friend deal on social media the day of, and then it will be packed. I most definitely wouldn't bother going on a Saturday.
#CPFrontierLift2019

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RollingCoasting » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:46 pm

The park sent out an email today - All remaining days of the season are now Bring a Friend for Free. Given how last years BAFF closing weekend was (Full queues for flat rides), I'd expect very large crowds. :Pr

Also the park opens for the 2018 season on April 21st:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/special-events/opening-weekend
Top 5: 1. Hades 360 2. Raging Bull 3. Goliath(GAm) 4. Mr. Freeze:Reverse Blast(STL) 5.Batman: The Ride(GAm)

Postby JT325 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:19 pm

^That kinda stinks... hopefully it will be freezing and scare some of the crowd away. They seem to be getting more resilient these days :lmao:

Last night was the first time I ever saw only 1 train on Demon (been riding it since I was a little guy in 1982, I love that ride!) and 1 train on Raging Bull. 1 on Demon was just fine... 1 on Raging Bull made for a 5 train wait, not a biggie either. I've never even heard of those coasters running 1 train. Speaking to a ride op, it seems they were getting ready to add a 2nd train to Bull after it warmed up (!!!). To my dismay, at about 9:15pm (park was closing at 11) walking down the exit we saw the train covered with a tarp in transfer, with fires under it! Holy cow, they were really going to add that train - above and beyond for some reason.

Thought I would share a few shots from my 2 hours at the park on Sunday night.
IMG_0106.JPG
Lobster looks GREAT after the super-long relocation and repaint/rehab. I have a thing for Schwarzkopf rides... even geek out about those standard issue Schwarzkopf seat that are flat and non-grippy; same seats on some coasters such as Mind Bender (SFOG), Shockwave (SFOT) and Montezooma's revenge. You really get to slide around and enjoy true lateral time in those seats! Such perfection on that super-geeky detail. Fiddler's Fling also has the same seats. It's too bad SFMM didn't go with these original-type of seats when they did Revolution; what is inside those trains is horrible.
IMG_0145.JPG
Don't be scurred, it's on the Demon. Many of my coaster buds don't like Demon due to the roughness. Luckily, after having ridden it since I was a kid, I've developed ways to sit and adjust for a fun ride... which isn't really something I like to do, but I make the exception on Demon. 2nd seat from the back, please. Enjoy the *snapping* drop that was removed from the California version in the 90s.
IMG_0232.JPG
Still love the Disco tunnel. In the 80s, the lights were red/orange/yellow (as were the trains) and went in a spiral pattern. They removed the lights directly above the track at some point because people were throwing rocks up to break them. It's hard to have nice things.
IMG_0756.JPG
I'm not one for camera tech and details, I just try to take a bunch of pictures and hope a couple come out. I like centering my camera on a target, then rotating around it to produce a slight spin effect. The park looks great this year! I still say we have the best all-around Six Flags, operations included (which are usually horrible, unfortunately. What do you expect for a $70 season pass, right?)
#CPFrontierLift2019

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby B&MGuy35 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 am

My guess is Saturday will be extremely slow because of the weather but Sunday is supposed to be near 70 with storms later in the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!