TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I love our old flats. After a ride on Fiddler's Fling Sunday night, I shall still call it "The Fastest Ride Ever Built!" Insanely awesome.

How about one of those Star Flyers? That would be nice at the park. Heck, I would be happy if they didn't add anything and spent that money fixing things. Add seating, bring the midway up to American Eagle, shorten exit walks, infrastructure work, improve operations and employee training... oh wait, this is Six Flags. They don't do that stuff.

I think I am the only person who will actually miss King Chaos. Yes, it has uncomfortable seating. Yes, it isn't the best top spin and Splash Over at Adventureland Iowa and Crypt at KD are WAY better. But King Chaos was my first top spin and one of my first carnival-style flat rides in general. I will have a soft spot for it and I will miss it.

The Skywarp looks pretty boring. I don't see its purpose at all at our park with the legitimate coasters we already have. Interesting design, but it seems best suited for a small park without the budget for a full circuit coaster. Sure hope it is something else (and I do not want the Larson loop either). Hope a pleasant surprise is coming, even if it will likely be a flat ride.

^I see this as more likely. Marginally better than a Larson loop. I probably would not ride it much though. Going upside down over and over is not my thing.

Still not certain whatever is coming will even be in King Chaos's spot. They could leave that empty and put something new in the water park, as some have rumored and the clues so far might point to. Hope we get more clues about ride type before the 31st.

Ugh, not that I am too sad about losing king chaos, I'm more upset with the idea that whatever they replace it with won't have a Mardi-gras theme. I know that SF isn't the best at theming lands to begin with but the Mardis-Gras area isn't even that old! Already it's lost the restaurant to Jonny Rockets, the rockin tug, Ragin Cajun (Though I'll give joker a pass here because the purple and green fits in rather well) and now king chaos! The area is officially dead.

If it is a skywarp I will be excited but I was just hoping that it would have gone into southwest territory (finally filling the old wagon pad) and been themed to a lasso or something.

Also I can almost guarantee you will not see an S&S Super L in any six flags park. Way to expensive. The ride system on that is essentially a coaster with magnetic launching. Super loops and Larson loops work the same way, where the train is just part of a continues set of wheels, which is much easier and cheaper to move around a loop than launching.

^I see this as more likely. Marginally better than a Larson loop. I probably would not ride it much though. Going upside down over and over is not my thing.

Still not certain whatever is coming will even be in King Chaos's spot. They could leave that empty and put something new in the water park, as some have rumored and the clues so far might point to. Hope we get more clues about ride type before the 31st.

The Twisted Looper doesn't go upside down

I have a quick question about Flash Pass.

We're planning on making our first ever trip to this park on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend so (obviously) we plan to get a Flash Pass. How long do lines generally get at the Flash Pass center? I know at Great Adventure you could easily be there for 45 minutes so you need to head there first but ideally I'd love to immediately go to Joker at rope drop since it's on Platinum only then head back and grab a regular Flash Pass.

Also, if I buy in advance can I skip the line and asinine movie (I assume the answer is yes since that's how at works at SFNE and SFGADV)?

Hey Bill, I know this post was a few pages back and most of your questions have been answered by now, but since I was just there a week ago and went through the whole rigamarole, I figured I'd chip in.

When my kid and I went to the park, we ended up going to the height measurement center first things first, which just happened to be right next to Joker. We then swung back to the Flash Pass center which is directly across from Whizzer on the opposite side of the park from Joker, and by this time about a half hour had passed since opening due to the walk. We didn't pre purchase or anything in advance; I was hoping that on a Wednesday in the middle of the week it would be on the dead side, but the park was actually surprisingly packed that day. I blame "National Roller Coaster Day" or something.

When we finally got to the building, the entrance to the non-prepaid lines was blocked by a few employees outside of the door that needed to explain how they worked and the pricing schemes to you. After about three minutes of that, they finally let us go into the building. We did not need to stand inside and watch a video like at many other Six Flags parks. Once we entered, the Flash Pass line was minimal -- there were maybe about three groups in front of us, but there were five employees manning registers and helping others. We were in and out within ten minutes. The left-hand side of the building had a completely separate entrance for pre-paid purchasers who just want to get in, pick them up, and get out; I assume this is what you'd be doing and you'd definitely be saving even more time.

The one thing I do want to note is their messaging was completely inconsistent with each other. The digital screens and magnet boards listed completely different rides for what was included on each pass, and the limits for each. On Platinum, the ONLY limit they currently have in effect is a maximum of two reservations on Joker. Everything else is unlimited. No limits on Goliath or Justice League, no matter what the boards actually say.

Hope that info helps. I thought Great America was an awesome park, but we definitely wouldn't have been able to do it all in one crowded day without that Flash Pass. I hope to have a full trip report up at some point later this week.

The Twisted Looper doesn't go upside down

With the twist at the top, I guess that's true. Okay, I refine my statement: going in a loop over and over, no matter what direction I face, is not my thing.

Hope that info helps. I thought Great America was an awesome park, but we definitely wouldn't have been able to do it all in one crowded day without that Flash Pass. I hope to have a full trip report up at some point later this week.

I have yet to go to Great America and witness low crowds no matter the day of the week. I've had friends that have lucked out a few days this summer, but unfortunately I haven't.

I have yet to go to Great America and witness low crowds no matter the day of the week. I've had friends that have lucked out a few days this summer, but unfortunately I haven't.

Early June during the week is about the only you might find fairly low crowds at the park.

I went to the park the first Thursday of August this year around 8pm and was able to ride 11 of the roller coasters in under 2 hours before the park closed. It was a cloudy and rainy day, which explains the lack of lines. So my advice is to check the weather and go on a rainy day. The rides may be closed some of the day, but it is worth it.