TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Unless you are a local who knows all the in and outs, trying to get half-way decent service at a SF park is near impossible.

I think this is a pretty blanket statement that sounds less like its actually based on experience but on generally dissing Six Flags as a whole, which OK yeah I get it - its the cool thing to do in this hobby, but come on. From personal experience, out of the four SF parks I've visited in the last two years I personally have not found this to be the case at all.

At my home park Great Adv I can't tell you the last time I had to wait for food. Maybe I just pick good times to eat but I eat multiple meals every time I go (dining plan) and drink beer all day, and generally never have the issues others speak of re: long wait times or places being out of items. During my one visit to SFA last year we ordered at lunch, and had our food out in less than 10 minutes. The food was great (for SF). At SFOG last year we ate right at lunch time and while we did have to wait in a 20 minute line for food, once ordered the food came out hot and quick and we enjoyed what we had. Other than the initial wait I had zero complaints, but understood we picked the same time as everyone else to eat and took it in stride. It definitely did not ruin my day. At SFNE a month ago I ate at JBs SmokeHouse twice and ordered beers from a number of other spots throughout the day and had absolutely no issues all day. No wait to order, barely any wait to actually receive our food/beers, and I actually found myself complimenting the employees on such stellar service.

Maybe I'm just getting lucky? Over and over and over?

Conversely, at Cedar Point two years ago any food we got in the park (besides Chickies) was awful and took forever. Luckily we stayed at Breakers and had packed a giant cooler with munchies which got us through the weekend. This same thing goes for Dorney - the food at the park (except Chickies - edit - and a food truck fest we stumbled upon last year) is absolutely horrible. At Kings Dominion last year the food left a little to be desired and I had issues with getting beers because they wouldn't accept my non-drivers license (aka state issued ID) even though I'll be 40 this year, because they "only accept passports and drivers licenses" which I'm sorry - is bullsh*t.

^You're probably right. It's just my experience(s) over the past few years. Ok, couple decades.

It's better to go in with a good attitude, as I did at SFMM last week. In all fairness, I haven't been to SFGAdventure in a decade. I need to get back. I've heard it's better.

It may be a trend in the hobby to knock Six Flags, but it's just my experience that they operate at a much lower level than the other thrill park operator - Cedar Fair. Of course, it's a about 1/3rd the price for a Season Pass. I also worked for both companies years ago; even in the 90s it was night and day. Not much was expected of me at Six Flags, but I had to really be on my mark at Cedar Point. Different business models.

Since I said some non-complimentary things about Six Flags, I should say some good things as well:

1 - SF is usually good (even encouraging) re-rides when a seat (or queue stall) is empty (CF makes you walk around, most of the time)

2 - The majority of employees at SFMM during my visits last week had smiles

3 - SF has most of their classic log flumes and Schwarzkopf rides. And at least one ride with Buzz Bars (GASM at SFOG)

I usually have a pretty cruddy food experience at Six Flags. The only food item I've found to be pretty good is Macho Nacho outside of Super Pretzels, which you can't screw up. I've noticed Six Flags having much better operations this year on their coaster dispatches, but I haven't seen any improvements on the speed of food service.

I just ride Justice League twice and had problems in multiple rooms. In the first screen where you encounter Lex, it is blurry and you can see the henchmen. At the screen where street you cover for Cyborg when Lex appears and uses his plasma blaster, there are no lex bots to shoot. The next screen was also bold blank. Finally the last screen was again blurry and it was difficult to spot henchmen. Yet somehow died 203,000 on my first gsme and then my highest ever set 278,600. Very odd.

Operations at JBs Smoke House are a hot mess.

That's too bad about Justice League. We're you able to ride Goliath?

For every complaint on here that I see about SFGAm's pathetic food service I hope everyone is stopping by guest services to (very politely) let them know. They're always very nice and take notes of where/when you had issues, which seems to be everywhere at all times in my personal experience.

Are other Six Flags parks better than this? It appears that the season pass dining options + the refill cups create huge lines and cashier confusion. It shouldn't take an hour wait to get some crappy chicken fingers and soggy fries that cost $16.

I'm planning on stopping in at the park for the first time this Friday and I noticed that the weather has a 50% chance of rain. I was wonderland if any locals could tell me how bad rain gets before they close down rides (ex: do they close in mist, or heavy downpours?), and which rides are typically still open?

I'm planning on stopping in at the park for the first time this Friday and I noticed that the weather has a 50% chance of rain. I was wonderland if any locals could tell me how bad rain gets before they close down rides (ex: do they close in mist, or heavy downpours?), and which rides are typically still open?

Lightning is a bigger threat than rain itself, since it will close all the outdoor rides until it is out of the area. Whizzer I know closes for any rain, but most of the coasters should still run in rain. Days with a threat of rain can be good ones, as the forecast keeps some people away.

This question has likely already been beaten to death on this thread but... any advice on getting the Platinum Flash Pass for this park on a Saturday in August versus the other two options? I'm going to this park this Saturday for the first time and had planned to get the Gold Flash Pass until I read something about how crazy busy this park gets in the summer. Any help on Flash Pass options and/or park navigation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

This question has likely already been beaten to death on this thread but... any advice on getting the Platinum Flash Pass for this park on a Saturday in August versus the other two options? I'm going to this park this Saturday for the first time and had planned to get the Gold Flash Pass until I read something about how crazy busy this park gets in the summer. Any help on Flash Pass options and/or park navigation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Yes you need one. Lollapalooza is this weekend, so there will be a big draw to downtown which..might? Lighten up crowds?

If you want multiple rides on the major coasters you need a FP. Get there early to get in past security since it can be a shit show. I'd pick Joker, JL, or Goliath to go to first so you have a 0 wait in the morning, then get FP right after.

Superman gets packed right away due to it being right near the entrance. Then the Joker will probably get the second longest line for the entire day. Goliath usually has the third longest wait. If I were you I would hit up joker first thing in the morning, then Goliath and then do whatever. Raging Bull, Batman(both), and American Eagle usually have less than 30 minute lines due to their high capacities. Hit Superman towards the middle of the day there should be like a 40 min wait. Whizzer and most kiddie rides have longerish lines so be sure to check the app for good times. Also I would recommend to NOT buy any food in the park, right outside the park in the plaza there is a nice fastfood/restaurant called Mama K's which has cheapish food but its really good. For Flash pass I don't have much experience with so I can't recommend anything. Otherwise have a great time!

Yes you need one. Lollapalooza is this weekend, so there will be a big draw to downtown which..might? Lighten up crowds?

If you want multiple rides on the major coasters you need a FP. Get there early to get in past security since it can be a shit show. I'd pick Joker, JL, or Goliath to go to first so you have a 0 wait in the morning, then get FP right after.

Thanks!

The park has announced a "Taste of Fall" type event, "Last Call Fall Festival"

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/special-events/last-call-fall-festival

Beer, Food, and Rides!

There’s nothing quite like a Midwestern fall breeze, and we’re bringing even more to it! Last Call Fall Festival will bring the amazing feel, smell and now taste of fall straight into the theme park. With craft beers from a variety of local and national breweries, delicious new culinary options, and of course thrills – this will be an event you don’t want to miss!

Last Call Fall Festival will occur the final three weekends of our operation:

November 4 & 5

November 11 & 12

November 18 & 19

We will be open from 12:00pm - 8:00pm on all of these days.

Craft Beer and Wines

Check back to see what spirits we will feature at the Last Call Fall Festival.

Music

We will be offering some live jams in both Southwest and Yukon Territory. Enjoy your food and booze while listening to local artists perform!

Culinary Delights

Last Call will have its own special selection of culinary options. Check back to see what creations we are bringing to your taste buds!

Tickets

In order to enjoy this event, you will need a valid Season Pass, Membership, or Daily Ticket to enter the park. Check out our Tickets page to see how you can get in on the fun for this event, or check out the Season Passes page to enjoy more events like this one all season long!

Each of the Last Call food and alcohol items will require an additional fee. We will be offering a variety of packages. Check back for more information on these options as we update this page. Dining Passes will not be accepted for the special food and beverage offerings.

Someone posted this on SFGAMworld.com:

ZnnF8rY.thumb.jpg.d15580f0e57a681cc9bd2b252aa173f9.jpg

Maybe Lobster will be ready for Fright Fest? I was hoping to give it a spin later tonight.

It's taking a while, but I'm personally happy my home SF park takes special care of some classics.

Now there is a beautiful paint job. I haven't seen Eagle look this good in a long time. Running like a bat out of hell as well. Still my favorite woodie in the chain (red side airtime woohoo).

IMG_8756.thumb.JPG.7d5f23e2acb9d068af3afe58778559cf.JPG

While I'd agree that El Toro is the best wooden coaster in the chain, American Eagle is second, albeit a distant second. American Eagle is an Intamin as well, has a great design, quite smooth for a wooden coaster of its age, and interacts well when they run two sides. The capacity is awesome and it has short lines even on busy days. There's hardly anything one wouldn't love about it.

2018 rumor from Screamscspe.

A larger Custom Larson Super Loop, a larger water coaster style slide (custom Thunder Rapids) for Hurricane Harbor and a few other additions for HH. Also HH may become a separate gate from the main park. I personally don't like the idea of separate gates. But the larger super loop I'm interested in.

2018 rumor from Screamscspe.

A larger Custom Larson Super Loop, a larger water coaster style slide (custom Thunder Rapids) for Hurricane Harbor and a few other additions for HH. Also HH may become a separate gate from the main park. I personally don't like the idea of separate gates. But the larger super loop I'm interested in.

SF is back to superloops. Come on SF there are so many new looping rides and you're possibly putting in a 40 yr old ride technology. What a record? The biggest superloop. LOL!