TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I plan to visit the park on Memorial Day. I figure crowds will be rather heavy and since it will be my first visit to the park (and not sure when the next visit would be), I plan to get a Flash Pass.

I noticed that American Eagle isn't on the Flash Pass. Are waits for that coaster typically pretty short or should I run there right after opening? I also noticed the two smaller coasters (the roller skater and Little Dipper) aren't on Flash Pass, but I figure those won't have bad waits.

SFGAm hasn't been my home park in many years, but American Eagle is the furthest ride from the entrance besides perhaps Goliath. No need to run to get on it. It is far less popular than many of the other coasters, plus being at the back of the park will make the line build slowly. If you do want to hit Little Dipper, I'd hit it on your way to the back (I'm not sure how many trains they run as they built it after I left). The Jr. Vekoma is in the kiddie area that, if they are enforcing the rules, you won't be let in without a kid. Unless they changes this rule, but I did check it last summer when I was there and this was still the case.

So don't put off American Eagle until the end of the day, but no need to run. My two cents.

I plan to head towards the back of the park anyway since I want to start with Goliath, so I should be able to get on American Eagle early enough. From the park map, it looks like the two junior coasters are on the way if I need to stall for my Flash Pass reservation to kick in. The website didn't say adults were restricted from Spacely's, but if they are it just means I have more time for better coasters.

I plan to visit the park on Memorial Day. I figure crowds will be rather heavy and since it will be my first visit to the park (and not sure when the next visit would be), I plan to get a Flash Pass.

I noticed that American Eagle isn't on the Flash Pass. Are waits for that coaster typically pretty short or should I run there right after opening? I also noticed the two smaller coasters (the roller skater and Little Dipper) aren't on Flash Pass, but I figure those won't have bad waits.

SFGAm hasn't been my home park in many years, but American Eagle is the furthest ride from the entrance besides perhaps Goliath. No need to run to get on it. It is far less popular than many of the other coasters, plus being at the back of the park will make the line build slowly. If you do want to hit Little Dipper, I'd hit it on your way to the back (I'm not sure how many trains they run as they built it after I left). The Jr. Vekoma is in the kiddie area that, if they are enforcing the rules, you won't be let in without a kid. Unless they changes this rule, but I did check it last summer when I was there and this was still the case.

So don't put off American Eagle until the end of the day, but no need to run. My two cents.

Why is American Eagle's que line so extensively long??

The station was built on the opposite side of the train tracks and employee access road, so you have to do a fair bit of walking to get over there.

574933781_eaglequeuebridge.png.8cb02f52778d452c2939193551e55572.png

Here's a visual. The red circle is where the exit path meets with the queue. If nobody's standing that far back, you can save a bit of time and cut through there to get another ride.

Boy o boy, I not-so-fondly recall spending hot summer days and nights in that giant tent...zig-zagging through an endless amount of metal railings ... remember how big of a victory it was to even make it to that red circle?! Then the big decision of which side to wait for.

I miss being able to go hop on Eagle's flight, afterwards, to get back to the front of the park. Hey, at least you can get a funnel cake there, now, I suppose!

I'm planning on taking a trip down to Great America during the third week of June. Is June any better crowd-wise than July or August at this park. Last two times I went here were in late July and mid-August on weekdays and the park was packed (hour-long wait times for all the major coasters). If crowds aren't any better, I'll likely get a platinum Flash Pass.

Edited by VF15

June is better, yes. The reason it is packed in late July-first half of August is because those are last weeks the Read to Succeed tickets are valid, and most people wait until then to use them.

Depending on when you go, there is a Bring a Friend for $15 June 12th-16th, and Bring a Friend for $20 June 19th-23rd (Those aren't as bad as RTS or BAFF but still), so I would plan accordingly.

Boy o boy, I not-so-fondly recall spending hot summer days and nights in that giant tent...zig-zagging through an endless amount of metal railings ... remember how big of a victory it was to even make it to that red circle?! Then the big decision of which side to wait for.

I miss being able to go hop on Eagle's flight, afterwards, to get back to the front of the park. Hey, at least you can get a funnel cake there, now, I suppose!

Oh memories, thank you for that! That silver railing jungle under the tent... in the early days, the line never stopped moving. There was always 2 trains on the lift (one red, one blue), and trains left the station quickly. Forward to the late 80s, no more 3 train operation, etc. etc. I do still LOVE Eagle! But that walk back there is really obnoxious.

I dreamed up a path ... that goes from the back of Demon (where Justice League is now) to the former "Eagle tent." It's already paved (albeit for staff/maintenance). But dang, that would be perfect. Have Eagle's entrance right in front of the ride (where it belongs), and wind some extra queue under the station(s) where there is plenty of room. Open up the area, throw in a snack stand and there you go.

Six Flags used to run with one principle of never letting people rest. Don't have places to sit; keep em moving so they want to spend money on food and drinks. I hoping that changes. It's passive aggressive. If you treat people right, they will want to come back and spend their money (see Holiday World and Cedar Point.) They will be more than willing to spend a reasonable and appropriate amount on a season pass.

June is better, yes. The reason it is packed in late July-first half of August is because those are last weeks the Read to Succeed tickets are valid, and most people wait until then to use them.

Depending on when you go, there is a Bring a Friend for $15 June 12th-16th, and Bring a Friend for $20 June 19th-23rd (Those aren't as bad as RTS or BAFF but still), so I would plan accordingly.

OH MY! I'll be visiting on Jul. 11, 2017 and was hoping less people after the 4th, but oh well . . . I'm purchasing Platinum Flash Pass anyway. My day should be fine.

Absolutely. With a Platinum Flash Pass, you'll have an awesome time here. Keep in mind there will still be a wait, as the merge points tend to be well back from the station in most cases, but you're talking 10-15 minute waits for everything versus over an hour.

Hi all, making my first trip ever out to great America this weekend and just wondering if batman the ride has any rows with longer seat belts like great bear, raptor, etc in row 4. If not it's gonna be a tight fit but I think I'll make it lol

Thanks

Hi all, making my first trip ever out to great America this weekend and just wondering if batman the ride has any rows with longer seat belts like great bear, raptor, etc in row 4. If not it's gonna be a tight fit but I think I'll make it lol

Thanks

Because it was the first invert, there are no seats any larger than others.

Happy 36th birthday American Eagle. It's unfortunate that I can't get out to the park though. I would love to ride Eagle on our respective birthdays. I did that for my 21st so I wanted to do it for my 23rd (Gold Birthday).

So today was Joker's T-Shirt Day ERT from 4-6 so I was able to get two rides on it. This was my first ever ride on a free spin and I got day it was fun. Only the purple side was open though so I wasn't able to ride the green side. Also there's a nice easter egg atop the left hill catwalk. A box entitled Ragin' Cajun. The park itself wasn't too crowded either and several coasters were walk ons.

Ride totals in order that I rode.

BTR: Front row

V2: Front row

Goliath: Back row

Raging Bull: Back row

Viper: Back row

Demon: Back row

X-Flight: Back row

Joker: Purple side forwards and backwards.

BTR: Back row

SUF: Back row

Raging Bull: Back row again.

Basically it was a day of back row riding.

American Eagle was only running Red Side so I skipped it. Eagle is only a go for me if both sides are running.

Short visit at the park today... Got in at about 7pm, so we had about two hours.

Hit up Justice League (never been before). Fun ride, better than expected. The screens could be clearer/higher quality but otherwise a fun dark ride.

X-Flight was walkon. Fun as always!

Goliath was a 5min wait, hopped on backseat. First ride since opening year and a few other RMC's... This jumped back up near the best for me. While short, I love the large elements. The smaller RMC's I have been on (Joker SFDK, Cyclone SFNE and Storm Chaser) have been great but honestly not a huge fan of the super quick, abrupt airtime hills. So Goliath ended up better than I remember!

Then stopped at Joker, which had about a 15-20min wait. Didn't think I would be able to ride given the 76" limit (I am 77-78"), but thankfully none of the three height checkpoints had checked me. So I was really happy to get on... The ride though, meh. Not my thing I guess. Didn't really care for it at all, finding it more uncomfortable than anything. Basically a top spin on a track. One time was enough for me!

I really enjoyed my visit. I could definitely see similarities to California's Great America, but the overall ride lineup thanks to the Six Flags additions made this a much better park.

The park was really crowded so I got a Flash Pass to make sure I rode everything. I got on all the coasters except Joker, which was down for high winds. Seems like a great fit in the Windy City . All kidding aside, it does look great where it is and having ridden SFNE's, it's a really fun coaster.

As for what I rode, Goliath and Raging Bull were both really good. Goliath was amazing but on the short side as everyone else has said. I really liked Raging Bull in the back as almost all the drops had air and the weird layout for a hyper was a fresh change of pace. X Flight was a solid wing coaster even if it is the weakest of them in my opinion. Viper was a letdown for me. It was smooth but I didn't get nearly as much air as I expected.

I'll have a more in depth TR when I get home but those are the quick thoughts.