Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 119: Six Flags adds 5 parks/waterparks to portfolio
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Six Flags Bankruptcy & Restructuring Discussion

Postby alexinla » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:26 pm

You want Dick Kinzel and co run a combined Six Flags/CF company? :roll: Wow, that would be the wirst scenario ever, especially if you like your local amusement parks

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:31 pm

I think another thing to consider would be the future of parks that are in the same area. Just off the top of my head, SFDK and CGA come to mind. In the south of the state KBF and SFMM come to mind. I know there are several others, but my guess is Cedar Fair wouldn't continue to run multiple parks in the same area.

I really see this as being a terrible thing for the industry. Competition is a good thing, and I think think this merger could really cause problems in the industry. Of course I could be way off base, I'll admit that I'm not sure what the underlying economics of the situation are.
--Allen

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:44 pm

^I could see Great America closing, but I see Magic Mountain and Knotts staying open. They could do what Merlin does with Thorpe and Chessington where one will be a family park and the other a thrill park.

While would have some concerns over what would happen to the parks if the current management ran the parks, I could also see some positives. Cedar Fair seems to have a good reputation with the general public, thrill seekers and families alike. If this does happen, it'll be interesting to see what happens, as I am hopeful, but I still have some concerns about what will happen to the parks.

You can just skip over my posts.

Postby SFA Regular » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Airtime&Gravity wrote:^I could see Great America closing, but I see Magic Mountain and Knotts staying open. They could do what Merlin does with Thorpe and Chessington where one will be a family park and the other a thrill park.

While would have some concerns over what would happen to the parks if the current management ran the parks, I could also see some positives. Cedar Fair seems to have a good reputation with the general public, thrill seekers and families alike. If this does happen, it'll be interesting to see what happens, as I am hopeful, but I still have some concerns about what will happen to the parks.

I do agree. For Kings Dominion being owned by Cedar Fair, Six Flags America will be a rival that is 2 hours away. Currently Six Flags America does not post any threat against Kings Dominion, going on 9 years of dry seasons from getting no coasters. That and it's 2 hours away so maybe Cedar Fair will be willing to work with it and build it up. The park has a lot of land and great potential. One could only hope that Cedar would build it into a super park just like Kings Dominion.

As for the other parks, I am also speculating how this merge will effect them. This is what I think will happen if Cedar Fair attempts to close most of the smaller parks. If they do that, most of the towns will complain just like New Orleans did with Six Flags Inc getting free from their land deal. Most towns will use that as an example, and post all the negative effects that the town will experience of local parks like SFSL, SFGA, SFA, and SFOG close. If Six Flags Inc has any current land lease contracts from when the parks were first purchased by the old SF corporate management, then Cedar Fair will be buying into those contracts if they merge with Six Flags Inc.

This conversation is getting interesting.

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:31 pm

I fully agree that if this merger happens several of the parks would be let go or shut down. I think at this point it is still way too premature to start making guesses like this. My guess is that in the end Six Flags doesn't merge with Cedar Fair and that Apollo walks away empty handed.

Also I have to wonder if Apollo is looking at Six Flags as being a possible silver medal. Say that it doesn't work out and they don't end up taking over Cedar Fair, could Six Flags be their backup plan?
--Allen

Postby SFA Regular » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm

AllenA07 wrote:I fully agree that if this merger happens several of the parks would be let go or shut down. I think at this point it is still way too premature to start making guesses like this. My guess is that in the end Six Flags doesn't merge with Cedar Fair and that Apollo walks away empty handed.

Also I have to wonder if Apollo is looking at Six Flags as being a possible silver medal. Say that it doesn't work out and they don't end up taking over Cedar Fair, could Six Flags be their backup plan?

I gotta say I really like your prediction. But what kind of plan will Apallo set for Six Flags parks. Will they set their own board of team members to run the company or will they keep the current board of directory in there? Again, I really want Cedar to take over Six Flags parks. Just not sure which parks they will keep. My guess is that they will keep the ones that are making money right now. So of course, SFOT, SFMM, SFGadv, SFOG, and a few others possibly. I take it that Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is doing well. I'm not even sure about my Six Flags America, with it being my home park. With Thomas Land being built at SFA and being the biggest one in the chain, I take it we are making enough money for the company to still have us. Remember they sold some parks when they first came in and SFKK just got sold. People rumored for a long time that SFA was on the chopping block, but we are still here.

Cedar Fair could improve a few other smaller SF parks. Again maintenance has always been an issue for Six Flags. Cedar could solve that problem easily. And I think the parks need more thrill attractions anyways. Or atleast start a every other year kind of plan. So one year the parks get family stuff and then the next year they get a thrill ride. Keep it even and fair to both crowds to visit the park.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 pm

SFA Regular wrote:
As for the other parks, I am also speculating how this merge will effect them. This is what I think will happen if Cedar Fair attempts to close most of the smaller parks. If they do that, most of the towns will complain just like New Orleans did with Six Flags Inc getting free from their land deal. Most towns will use that as an example, and post all the negative effects that the town will experience of local parks like SFSL, SFGA, SFA, and SFOG close. If Six Flags Inc has any current land lease contracts from when the parks were first purchased by the old SF corporate management, then Cedar Fair will be buying into those contracts if they merge with Six Flags Inc.

This conversation is getting interesting.

SFGA, SFSL, and SFoG are hardly small parks. Plus Cedar Fair couldn't close SFoG and SFSL as they are managed by Six Flags but owned by their own company (Six Flags Over Georgia Ltd for example). The only parks I see as having a chance of closing are CGA and SFA. I'm not sure about Great Escape I could see it staying or being sold to a different park operator.

Postby SFA Regular » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 am

Well from what people have seen, SFA is making money right now. Again, we just got the biggest Thomas Land in the chain. If were weren't making money the company would have sold us a while ago. I'm still reading up on this Cedar Fair and Six Flags merger. I do also agree with a recent post, stating that "if Apollo cannot get Cedar Fair, they will buy Six Flags Inc". My question is will the current management stay under Apollo being the owner. And what kinds of things will Apollo do for the parks?

My uncle owns a country place that no one knows about

Postby PriestofSyrinx » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 am

If there was an attempt at a merger, I dont see how it would go through the US Trust laws. Too much of a Monopoly...

But if it does happen, I would prefer CedarFair to run the parks, yet adopt Six Flags new policy of Rehabing old/unpopular rides, and making them popular again.

But Cedar Point/Kings Island and Magic Mountain/Great Adventure under one umbrella? No way. I dont see it happening. :roll:

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby chemical_echo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 am

If Cedar Fair were to take over, I can see SFDK to be one of the first parks to either be sold or closed. CF doesn't seem to like animal parks, and even if they took all the animals out, I can't see a park based so heavily on animals surviving very long without a lot of capital.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!