Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 119: Six Flags adds 5 parks/waterparks to portfolio
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Mechanic wrote:The most challenging part of this will be convincing the public that the parks are still open. Plenty of people will read the headlines, "Six Flags Files For Bankruptcy", but not read far enough into an article to see that the operations will continue as usual. We've heard the stories for years now about people that think Magic Mountain was sold and closed, when in fact it was operating. News like this can't help.

Has anyone noticed the flurry of commercials that GM is running to assure their customers that the company is still actually in business? <-- Take note Six Flags.

I left the apartment for a grand total of 10 minutes today and heard people on the side walk talking about how SF Great America is closed for good. For reference I live about 15 minutes from the park.

on the move itself, it's about time. It should not hurt their image too much. They already did an e-mail campaign about them staying open (weird part was I got 4 e-mails and 2 were SFOT.) Hopefully this ends well for them and many years of success.

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Mechanic wrote:Has anyone noticed the flurry of commercials that GM is running to assure their customers that the company is still actually in business? <-- Take note Six Flags.

Yes I have, and that's a great point!!

As much as I don't care for "Mr. Six", I think he'd better start dancing up a storm, and quick!!

JJ

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby ghost007jas » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Mechanic wrote:Has anyone noticed the flurry of commercials that GM is running to assure their customers that the company is still actually in business? <-- Take note Six Flags.

The difference is, that people go to Six Flags parks, where-as no one buys GM's cars :p.

Vote in the Coasterdom Coaster Championship every M/W/F!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Real wrote:
If its all a bunch of smoke and mirrors...itll show itself pretty quick.

I thought I was the only one suspicious of Six Flags numbers. Touting non GAAP accounting practices (EBITDA and their calculation of free cash flow) as their big wins should raise some raise some red flags.

I guess only time will tell.

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 pm

Six Flags isn't going out of business, Six Flags is getting down to business.
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Manic Monte » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Mechanic wrote:The most challenging part of this will be convincing the public that the parks are still open. Plenty of people will read the headlines, "Six Flags Files For Bankruptcy", but not read far enough into an article to see that the operations will continue as usual. We've heard the stories for years now about people that think Magic Mountain was sold and closed, when in fact it was operating. News like this can't help.

Has anyone noticed the flurry of commercials that GM is running to assure their customers that the company is still actually in business? <-- Take note Six Flags.

...And thus, SFMM will be building another headline grabbing coaster in 2010. Now this strategy makes perfect sense.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:23 am

Bolliger&Mabillard wrote:Six Flags isn't going out of business, Six Flags is getting down to business.

That's really good. Lame, but still really good. :P

Honestly, they should use that.
Erik Allen Elness

Papas

Postby Papas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:00 am

I'm not sold on the chain being turned around. The mantra has simply been "we're doing great...everything is the old managements fault!" There are definitely more bright spots than before, but everytime something is still bad, it's always "it takes time...turnaround...blah blah blah." There's never any blame placed on the current management.

I agree with this statement 100%

The three parks that come to my mind most are SFMM, SFNE, and SFGADV. Ive been to NE and GADV before the new management and after. While yes the operations are much improved thats only because they were embarrisngly terrible before. I go to SFMM quite often and get the same vibe. While yes these parks are ran OK now they still have their issues: SFMMs bathrooms are like a trench fortress in Baghdad, SFGADVs queue lines are beat the hell and need to be painted bad, etc. Even though SFMM's operations are much better now and the park looks much better with so many rides painted, for the most part the lines still move pretty slow and the parks are still understaffed (when do you ever see Tatsu running both sides even when its really busy). Hell, at SFGAm the entire back half of the park opens an hour after the rest of the park and there are a few SBNO rides whereas before the new management all the rides opened at park opening and there werent any SBNO rides.

While yes some of the parks are ran much better and look much better, walking through SF parks just looking around you can still get a "this park was much better in its heydey" vibe. That and advertisements plastered everywhere with commercials on all the TV's like you are at a supermarket checkout counter, they certainly do benefit a lot from "BOTD" around here.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:29 am

Jew wrote:^^The $275 million was actually their EBITDA. That's not profit.

Considering the last mangement wasn't even making money, and spending money they didn't have, I'd say it's a step up.

It's day three, I think we can all stop the SF is lying talk. As with everything else you have to give it time. And stop pointing fingers at a management plan thats at least trying to fix the issue. That's more than what we can all say about the last management, which got them into this problem in the first place.

Matt "Tired of the same Six Flags haters in here" Jacobs

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby coolcalicoaster » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 am

Electerik wrote:
Bolliger&Mabillard wrote:Six Flags isn't going out of business, Six Flags is getting down to business.

That's really good. Lame, but still really good. :P

Honestly, they should use that.

That quote is from a new GM commercial.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!