Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 105 - ALL of the 2018 announcements!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 am

I'd love to see the Six Flags parks give an option for a bottle free drinking pass. I did the Cedar Fair one this year and loved it, it's great not having to carry one of those big bottles around all day and I don't drink that much anyway so the smaller cups that Cedar Fair gives out are perfect.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby AndrewRnR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am

djackson wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Overall a much better year than last year. Twisted Cyclone and SFFT's Wonder Woman both look great and many of the parks got awesome flat rides that will compliment their coasters nicely.

I beg to differ. It's quite obvious Six Flags was incredibly cheap this year. The chain as a whole spent around 50 million as supposed to the 75 million number that was being thrown around. They may not see a big profit at a few of the parks.

Not sure how you are doing the math - they said 2018 capital totals would be close to the prior totals. We'll know the exact number soon, but I'd guess this year is around 100 million. I think you are underestimating how much some of the flat rides cost. I remember Maxair at Cedar Point costing somewhere around 8-10 million and that was back 10+ years ago.

I ask dumb questions.

Postby djackson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 am

^ I read somewhere that it was more like 2 million.
My Home park is Six Flags America
Coaster Count: 70 :cry:
Instagram:kvng_coasters
YouTube: Kvng Of Coasters

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby pryonisys » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 am

These seem pretty much like what we expected to see Six Flags add to their parks. I don't think there should be any major complaints. Most of this stuff looks fun.

My only issue is naming of rides. How many different names now do the free flys have, 4? (Batman, Joker, Green Lantern, and now Wonder Woman). 2 Gyroscope rides, one Cyborg, one Harley Quinn... I kind of understand why they would do it differently from park to park, but overall I would prefer if the kept the names the same or similar across the franchise.
Oh well, that is a super minor complain, I guess I'm just curious about the opinions of others on this.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Manic Monte » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:06 am

djackson wrote:^ I read somewhere that it was more like 2 million.

No way. Those Giant Discoveries are as expensive as a small coaster. Also remember, this is a company that mismanaged itself into bankruptcy. They are spending far more responsibly, and finally adding more versatility to their parks that already have huge coasters.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 am

pryonisys wrote:My only issue is naming of rides. How many different names now do the free flys have, 4? (Batman, Joker, Green Lantern, and now Wonder Woman). 2 Gyroscope rides, one Cyborg, one Harley Quinn... I kind of understand why they would do it differently from park to park, but overall I would prefer if the kept the names the same or similar across the franchise.
Oh well, that is a super minor complain, I guess I'm just curious about the opinions of others on this.

Enthusiasts are likely to agree with you as homogeneous names for homogeneous makes it easier compartmentalize what you have ridden/not ridden and discuss the new rides.

The vast majority of park guests (who only visit their home park) won't know, therefore they won't care.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby pryonisys » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 am

larrygator wrote:
pryonisys wrote:My only issue is naming of rides. How many different names now do the free flys have, 4? (Batman, Joker, Green Lantern, and now Wonder Woman). 2 Gyroscope rides, one Cyborg, one Harley Quinn... I kind of understand why they would do it differently from park to park, but overall I would prefer if the kept the names the same or similar across the franchise.

Enthusiasts are likely to agree with you as homogeneous names for homogeneous makes it easier compartmentalize what you have ridden/not ridden and discuss the new rides.

The vast majority of park guests (who only visit their home park) won't know, therefore they won't care.

That is actually a really good point. I don't make it most of those parks, so I just look at them all as a whole and if I was to say Harley Quinn it could be 3 very different rides this year.
You are however right I should be thinking about the ride name more from a GP standpoint and I'm sure most of them won't care/know at all.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby CoasterAuditor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 am

I really hope the Giant Discovery purchases are far from over. I LOVE pendulum rides and would love to have them all over the place. I assume they'll go to literally every Six Flags park EXCEPT SFA, SFStl, and TGE :lol:
Roller Coasters provide a great escape from the depressing reality that is adulthood.
Top Coasters 1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. New Texas Giant 4. Millennium Force 5. Nitro
Top Parks 1. BGW 2. DW 3. CP 4. IOA 5. USF

"There's happiness......then there's El Toros Rolling Thunder Hill"

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 am

*^I don't know what your have park is, but with Six Flags Great Adventure a lot of the GP call it Six Flags. Whenever I mention amusement parks to my students (11-14 year olds) or fellow teachers they always refer to it as Six Flags

Granted older folk call it just Great Adventure.

CoasterAuditor wrote:I really hope the Giant Discovery purchases are far from over. I LOVE pendulum rides and would love to have them all over the place. I assume they'll go to literally every Six Flags park EXCEPT SFA, SFStl, and TGE :lol:

I would almost guarantee one for SFStL in the next 3 years and I'd be 90% certain that one ends up at SFA also. I agree about TGE as it is is a different type of park
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 am

larrygator wrote:^I don't know what your have park is, but with Six Flags Great Adventure a lot of the GP call it Six Flags. Whenever I mention amusement parks to my students (11-14 year olds) or fellow teachers they always refer to it as Six Flags

Granted older folk call it just Great Adventure.

:nina: Same. The majority of (non-enthusiast) people I mention I'm going to other SF Parks have no idea there are other SF parks elsewhere. When I say Six Flags they automatically think I'm only referring to Great Adventure. A common question is "are they all the same rides at other SF parks as they have @ Great Adv?"
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!